Hissing that increases with external sounds

I am adjusting to new Phonak Eleva BTEs. I still experience the sound of ssshhhhhhhhhh that increases as external sounds increase. Everything is competing with this sssshhhhhh sound. A normal conversation generates modest sssshhhhh, street noise generates louder sssshhhhhh. What adjustment could make this diminish, if not remove it altogether. On my 4th pair over the past 16 years. I noticed this once before with a new HAs but can’t remember now how it was solved. Thanks!!

I would try to reduce some of the extra high frequencies above 4.5 kHz. Depending on yuour hearing loss they are not as important for speech recognition and it sounds like they are too strong.
Hope that helps

This issue should be easily fixed by your hearing professional. If he cannot adjust it, you may want to just go elsewhere for help. I’ve noticed, especially in the area I live, that there are a number of ‘professionals’ who simply suck at basic trouble shooting. If they can’t get the aid to sound good within a few follow up visits, I strongly suggest you ditch them. Either the technology is no good, or the guy programming the technology is no good. Either way, it’s no help to you.

My audiologist was not able to remove or reduce this sssshhhhhh sound enough for me to continue to use the Phonak Eleva. The other problem is that the open fit could not deliver enough low frequency boost to round out the sounds in my ear and attain a natural sound. This was due mainly to my hearing loss and not the Phonak Eleva.

I switched to a pair of Widex Aikia BTE and found perfection instantly - I would not trade them for anything and I dearly love having the 2nd program for music listening.

As I have posted elsewhere, having BTE models has greatly reduced the roar of wind over the microphones that I used to experience with my ITE Divas. If you live in a windy place, as I do, that noise can be very frustrating.

The problem was a mismatch between my hearing loss and the capabilities of the Phonak Eleva. It was an experiment I did with my audiologist to see if they could work for someone like myself with moderate loss across the board.

All’s well that ends well.