Hi Pro Communication Problem

As I had trouble with the Hi-pro connection (again), I scourged the net for info. (In the end it was the cable! Make sure to check the connections with a multimeter!!)

The technical specifications of the Hi-Pro can be found here.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never had to dig that deeply into the serial settings for my Hi-Pro (which I have used with a few computers now). Problems have always turned out to be related to drivers for the USB/serial converter.

And do you need a null-modem cable? I do, with the converter Iā€™m using (an long-obsolete Belkin).

The information on the web points in all directions. :slight_smile:
Yes, you need a null modem cable, but unfortunately, there are a lot of them

I. NULL MODEM CABLES

I started with a guide for serial Hi-proā€™s on Windows 7:

According to this nice wiki about null modem cables this is a null modem cable with loop back handshaking (,albeit with a mistake in the pictureā€“the text is correct.) I soldered the arrowed connections myself, because the one that I was supplied withā€”and worked well for a yearā€” was a null modem cable without handshaking.

So apart from the obvious times the system was out-of-order, both worked for me with a connection from the Hi-Pro directly to the COM header on my PC motherboard. Iā€™ve tested the loop back handshaking null modem cable connected to a Serial2USB device with a CH341 chip inside and it worked.

Depending on the connection your computer has to the Hi-Pro it seems that you have 4 (FOUR!) possibilities to try out:

Obviously you only have to de-/solder the loop back connections to switch between without handshaking and loop back: Both have 3 wires running from one DB9 connector to the other. The Partial and Full handshaking both have 7(!) wires running through the cable.

II. So what do you need?
As I was fixing a system that worked before and I was supplied with a cable that had three wires, I only tried the Partial handshaking. Do you need more? Looking at the wiki for serial ports:

Bit rates commonly supported include 75, 110, 300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600 and 115200 bit/s.
Comparing this to the technical specifications that state the baud rate as
1200 (default), 2400, 4800, 9600 or 19200 baud
, the Hi-Pro really has no high speed connection. So it is unlikely that the 7-wires connection from the Partial and Full handshaking is needed. Safest bet is Partial handshaking since it also allows for DTE/DCE compatibility.

However, for compatibility issues, especially those arising from USB2serial (USB2DB9) I would stop fidgeting with those settings and rather look at all four null modem cable options. (Mine only cost around 3ā‚¬ and it works nicely with Partial handshaking.)

I just went into an electronics parts store and bought a null-modem cable that was in a plastic bag, hanging on the wall (and was the only kind they had).

:slight_smile:

You can check with a multimeter or a battery-wire-light or just screwing it open what pins connect to what.

HI. I canā€™t connect my Serial HI-pro to my PC. Tell me what cable is needed and PC settings? Maybe you need a special driver? Does the original Hi-Pro serial cable differ from a regular rs-232 cable?

I live in Ukraine, my English is not so good. If you were successful in the meantime, I would be glad for any further hint to solve my problem!

You can write in German, I will translate the translator.

Thanks

e-mail shumov_o@ukr.ne

HI. . I am using a serial to USB adapter. According to my PC the USB/serial adapter is working properly, it does see the adapter but not the Hi Pro. I also use a non-original HI-Pro RS 232 cable, but my PC also does not see my Serial HI-pro.
Tell me what cable is needed and PC settings? Maybe you need a special driver? Does the original Hi-Pro serial cable differ from a regular rs-232 cable?
I live in Ukraine, my English is not so good. If you were successful in the meantime, I would be glad for any further hint to solve my problem!
Thanks
mailto:shumov_o@ukr.net

HI. Does the original Hi-Pro serial cable differ from a regular rs-232 cable? Maybe you have a pinouts the original Hi-Pro cable rs 232?

No its not different, its a RS232C cable with the connector being a 9-Pole, D-range male type (DTE) with a baud rate of 1200 which seems to be the default, this information from the Madsen website, when installing use the default settings, donā€™t change anything, honestly I donā€™t think itā€™s the cables,itā€™s the driverā€™s and the operating system, xp and win7 always best, Vista is just terrible for anything!
As one has stated already use the HiPro test from the Phonak IPFG software for installation and test, always worked for me this way, also ALWAYS install the drivers before trying to install the HiPro so no conflicts.

@Shon Please read the whole thread, before posting new questions. I posted the pinout in a post above.

Cables
I use the null-modem cable with partial handshake as described in the post above and a USB2serial converter I bought on AliExpress:

This link seems to sell an identical adapter: USB to RS232 Serial Port 9 Pin DB9 Cable Serial COM Port Adapter Convertor Blue SG064-SZ

System
I tested this on Windows 10 Pro, version 1803.

Baudrate
Because of the thread How to speed up your Hi-Pro Serial up to 13-fold!, I changed the 9600 setting to 128000.
ComSetting
HiProFound

1 Like

The usb/serial adapter I use is the Belkin.
F5U109
I donā€™t remember if a CD with drivers came with it but it seems like when it was plugged into in the laptop it automatically went out got the needed drivers.
Good luck