Hi! Im new to this forum. I have a lot of experience fitting hearing aids

OTE/Open fit if it is not a Receiver-in-the-Ear/-in-the-canal (RITE/RIC) is more like a standard BTE in that the receiver/electronic unit is still contained within the hearing aid itself and only a very narrow slim tube comes off the hearing aid and enters the ear canal, often using almost an identical tip as the RIC/RITE. The reason a RITE/RIC is smaller is because the receiver has been removed from the BTE and placed in the canal instead allowing for a much smaller BTE unit while allowing an open canal.

I was confused, are you saying that your loss is around 80-90 dB or is NOT around 80-90 dB?

The ‘P’ Stands for Power and designates a more powerful hearing aid.

Color? If I was picking a hearing aid out for myself I’d get something totally cool looking, like lime green with a design or something…lol. I have very short hair and I’d want it to look really cool. But that’s me…if you want them to be less noticable I’d go with hair color especially if your hair is long. Maybe they have one that has a complimentary color on it along with the hair color? I’m not familiar with the Oticon Hit color choices…

Good Luck!

I am trying to narrow down which brand has the highest quality and most flexability. I have looked at the Oticon Agile, the ReSound Dot30 so far. I keep hearing the brand Starkey but the impression I am getting is that they are mid range hearing aids, not necessarly top of the line. I need the hearing aid only for my right ear. I would like you opinion on each of the brands for a behind the ear aid. I have not decided if I want the reciever in the canal or not. So I would like your opinion on that as well.

My test results are as follows:
250 R 50 L 15
500 R 55 L 25
1K R 55 L 25
2K R 50 L 20
3K R 60 L 30
4K R 55 L 25
5K R 50 L 25
6K R 45 L 25

Thanks
Lori

Please advise which hearing aid suitable for my audiogram.

Thank you Mike,

I just got a pair of phonak smart 9 HAs. I was previously a one hearing aide user. I was getting an echo(reverbaration) to my own voice and others with the 9 and switched to the open vented dome which improved the echo a lot but it is still present and makes words of other people a little fuzzy. What else can you you do to reduce echo. I don’t know my audiogram but have about a 40% loss. Thanks

I would ask that you be a little more specific in your question. The amount of hearing loss you have I would say is appropriate for just about any hearing aid, except for a RIC/OTE with an open dome. Some would be better than others, but nearly all would be usable. What are you looking for in a hearing aid? What is your lifestyle? There are numerous questions that need to be answered about you and your particular needs before any kind of HA recommendation could be made.

Have you met with an Audiologist to discuss hearing aids? If so, what were their recommendations?

Mike,

Thanks for your offer of help. It looks like I will be getting my first set of hearing aids soon. My left ear is worse than my right. I am looking at the Verite and Versa HA’s at Costco. What’s your recommendation? Thank you.

I have moderate high frequency ski slope loss, and can only spend about $2600’s for aids. I’m on a very tight fixed income budget, and spending this much money is scary for me, but I want to be able to hear as well as I can. I’m on the City Council, so hearing in meetings in large rooms is important, as well as talking on the telephone.

Are Siemens an OK brand? I ordered the Pure 301’s thinking that having the RIC would improve my ability to hear. I’m willing to spring for the 501’s if spending the extra $600 is going to make an appreciable difference. If the Motions work better because they have better amplification capabilities, I’d like to know about that, too.

Thanks for your help. This really is rocket science!

Mike J.

Thank-you for the tremendous service you are giving to everyone.

I am getting my first hearing aids, and I wish that I had known about this forum first. I have posted my audiogram below. I actually think my hearing is much worse than my audiogram indicates. I have a friend who has a similar audiogram, and she hears much better than I do. I have pretty severe tinnitus, so that complicates things.

I just ordered a Siemens Pure 301 online. Would a 501 be significantly better for me? I was told that there really isn’t much difference. Money is a big issue for me, but I want to be able to hear well. Also, would I be better off with a Motion if my ears can’t tolerate the receiver? Or should I be looking at another brand entirely?

Also, can you give me some advice as to how I might get my aids adjusted once I receive them? They will come pre-programmed, and I can send them back for adjustment a few times, but I’m hearing that it’s best to have them adjusted while they are in your ears.

I got my audiogram done through the hospital. I actually got two audiograms done because I couldn’t get myself to pay the money for hearing aids the first year, so I had to be tested again the next year. So far, the hospital has received $500 from me for testing. The audiologist told me that she doesn’t make any money on the hearing aids, but she wasn’t happy when I told her I was buying them online- the aids were about $1500 cheaper online. It seems like she should be willing to at least do a couple of adjustments, since she did the testing, don’t you think? Or is that unrealistic to expect? I may end up just getting the self- programmer.

Here is my audiogram. Thank-you for your kindness. I can see that you are giving people experienced advice, and I think I’ve learned some from your advice to others already.

125 Hz R-10, L-5
500 Hz R-10, L-10
1000 Hz, R-30, L-35
2000 Hz- R-45, L-50
3000 Hz- R-45, L-55
4000 Hz- R-50, L-50
5000 Hz- R-60, L-45
6000 Hz- R-50, L-50

Sorry, Mike, I’m new to these forums, and I think I replied to someone else’s post below. Please forgive me for the re-posting:

Thank-you for the tremendous service you are giving to everyone.

I am getting my first hearing aids, and I wish that I had known about this forum first. I have posted my audiogram below. I actually think my hearing is much worse than my audiogram indicates. I have a friend who has a similar audiogram, and she hears much better than I do. I have pretty severe tinnitus, so that complicates things.

I just ordered a Siemens Pure 301 online. Would a 501 be significantly better for me? I was told that there really isn’t much difference. Money is a big issue for me, but I want to be able to hear well. Also, would I be better off with a Motion if my ears can’t tolerate the irritation of the receiver? Or should I be looking at another brand entirely?

Also, can you give me some advice as to how I might get my aids adjusted once I receive them? They will come pre-programmed, and I can send them back for adjustment a few times, but I’m hearing that it’s best to have them adjusted while they are in your ears.

I got my audiogram done through the hospital. I actually got two audiograms done because I couldn’t get myself to pay the money for hearing aids the first year, so I had to be tested again the next year. So far, the hospital has received $500 from me for testing. The audiologist told me that she doesn’t make any money on the hearing aids, but she wasn’t happy when I told her I was buying them online- the aids were about $1500 cheaper online. It seems like she should be willing to at least do a couple of adjustments, since she did the testing, don’t you think? Or is that unrealistic to expect? I may end up just getting the self- programmer.

Here is my audiogram. Thank-you for your kindness. I can see that you are giving people experienced advice, and I think I’ve learned some from your advice to others already.

High regards,
Marina

125 Hz R-10, L-5
500 Hz R-10, L-10
1000 Hz, R-30, L-35
2000 Hz- R-45, L-50
3000 Hz- R-45, L-55
4000 Hz- R-50, L-50
5000 Hz- R-60, L-45
6000 Hz- R-50, L-50

Regarding the Audi doing adjustments at no charge…just as you would not expect an auto-repair place to work on your car for free, you cannot expect an audiologist to do the same simply because she doesn’t make commission off hearing aids. His/Her expertise and time have a great deal of value and when a hearing aid is purchased, some of the cost (which is why they are more expensive than buying them on-line) pays for that. That is generally why most Audiologists will express displeasure when someone tells them they are purchasing them on the internet to save money. Frequently the person that “saved a bunch of money” by buying hearing aids of the internet ends up spending that amount and more to have a professional sit down and adjust the devices properly. As for programming them yourself, a poorly programmed high-end hearing aid will sound and perform far worse than a well programmed basic hearing aid any day. Programming is everything, and that is what you are be paying for, not the device itself.

Have you investigated your state to see if they have an office of vocational rehabilitation? Many, if not most, states do and have programs for individuals who are working or trying to return to work to help them with the costs of hearing aids. In Kentucky, they look at income, family size, and expenses to see if people are eligible. If they care they can get hearing aids typically at no charge or by paying a fraction of the cost (either $500 - $1000). I would strongly suggest looking into that option.

Hi Mike,

I have been using hearing aids for 6 years. I don’t wear them all the time. Mostly to watch tv and in restaurants crowds etc. I have had balky Resound aids for many years. They worked pretty well to screen out unwanted noise.

In January of 2010 I got a new set of aids. Uticon EpoQs. They are interesting Hi Tech gadgets Pretty good at reproducing natural sounding voices but very bad ad screening out unwanted sounds in loud conditions. For example I can usually listen in to the conversatins around me at other tables quite well while not being able to hear and understand the people sitting around me in my own group at my table. Same thing in the car. Cant hear others nearly as well as I could with the old Resound aids. What are your thoughts? Is this a product problem common complaint? Or, is it is something an ontologist could correct?

Thanks for your help

Joel.

Hi Mike J.,

I am new to this site. My wife has some hearing problem and Adiologist has recommended that she should use a hearing aid. I would like to know what kind and brand of hearing aid will be suitable for her. Her audiogram is as follows.

Fred

----250–500–1000–2000–3000–4000–8000–SRT–WDS–MCL–UCL

R—30----25----25----40----60----60----60----20—96%–65—95

L—10----20----22----35----60----55----45----20—96%–60—95

Hi Mike,

I’m looking for some advice. I need new aids and won’t be going back to my old audi for a variety of reasons one of which is that her group doesn’t offer any financing options and will charge 10% of the hearing aid cost if you don’t decide to buy from them. So I’m looking for a new audi and feel as if I’m going in blind.

I’ve been wearing the Oticon Deltas for the past five years. I recently lost one :frowning: and rather than simply replace it, it seemed wiser to look for something with newer technology. I have nothing to compare the Deltas to. However, I have had trouble distinguishing speech and have found music to have a tinny sound. I’d like some idea of what might be an appropriate aid for me, just so I have a guideline going into a new situation.

I’m a retired teacher who does home instruction for students who often mumble or look away when they speak. My audiogram hasn’t changed much in the past five years though I feel as if I don’t hear as well. (Hearing aids hadn’t been adjusted in about three years)

Thanks in advance for any help.

…250…500…1000…2000…4000…6000…8000

Rt 35…35…40…40…45…55…70

Lt 20…35…40…40…55…65…65

SRT Rt 35…Lt 35 MCL Rt 75 Lt 70 SD@MCL Rt 96 Lt 96

I’m not certain MikeJ is around anymore…I just wanted to give you all the ‘heads up!’

Hey,

I am getting Phonak solana cic monday. My audiologist said I have very small ear canals and if they don’t fit how she likes she will order microtech axio st. My hearing is not the worst but it is worse on every point from 2 years ago. take a look. Input is welcome.

Joel,

The problem you describe is due to a compression issue.

The audiologist can make distant/soft sounds less noticeable and closer/louder sounds more noticeable by adj the compression kneepoint/ratio.

By the way,

This is Allen, a so california audio;ogist

This is Allen, a SoCal audiologist.

Alwood,

From your audiogram, your hearing loss is VERY slight. If it were me I would not prescribe hearing aids,not enough benefit to justify the cost/hassle of hearing aids.

Having said thathowever,if you are noticing a signifigant problem hearing people, then you might want to try aid sand see what they can do for you.

My guess is that you won’t find them all that helpful

You might want to look into aids that have a connectivity system.

Oticon has the Agil, Acto and Ino aids that all do.

Phonak has the naida, Exelia

And I think Widex is going to be introducing their Clear line.

These all have pretty cool technology.

Any good open ear bte with good noise suppresion and feedback management will work well with her.

If she uses the phone a lot you might want to look at aids with blue tooth setups,Oticon is great for this

I’m curious Marina,

Why would you expect the audiologist to not charge for her time/expertise???

Do you work for no compensation??