Help with hearing aid dome replacement

I am helping my Mother with her hearing aids. She bought a set of Jabra Enhanced Pro 10 Mini. Over the ear. From Costco. Fairly happy with them. We just came back from Costco and they gave her some extra domes. She wants more of them. They said they only give out a few.

When we were there they said she used the wrong ones. She used a clear one probably from her old HAs.

I tried Jabra on the online chat and they pretty much said since we got them from Costco they don’t want to help.

I called Costco and they said they do not have a part number for the domes. They just told me to look online for Jabra Enhanced pro 10, Large closed dome.

I tried Amazon, but they do not seem to show much for Jabra. Anyone give me an idea what to look for? (what would fit?)

Since I am on this topic… My Mother has a punctured ear drum, it has been like that for a long time. The hearing aid on that side seems to have trouble with possibly feedback?? Not quite a high pitch whistle, but a medium pitch noise. Mostly random but it seems like if her hair covers the hearing aid it seems to make it happen. Or if you run your hand over it. Would a power dome make a difference? Worth a try since they are probably cheap. Any recommendation on one of those that would fit the Jabra?

They are rebranded resound models, so anything from ReSound will fit.

3 Likes

What dome is she using open?
Closed would help but the HAs do need to be programmed for the correct dome and then the feedback test can be run.

She is running a closed now.

Great, I was leaning that way from what I read on the net, but was not sure.

1 Like

Probably time to try a power dome, I don’t what her audogram is like but get a tight fit is the goal to reduce feedback.

Not so simple, unfortunately. ReSound changed from SureFit 2 receivers and domes to SureFit 3. In the wrong combination (SureFit 2 domes and SureFit 3 receivers, if I remember correctly) the domes will fit easily on the receivers but will also come off with a tug on the rim, which increases the risk of them coming off in your ear.

1 Like

The domes don’t need frequent replacement, as long as they’re getting removed from the aids and cleaned daily with tissue and occasionally isopropyl alcohol until all the wax etc. is removed when held up to a light. They are easy to lose off the aids and eventually start to tear; in either case, replacements are needed. But I typically only need a few domes a year, which is why Costco is being stingy with them. Some people don’t want to or can’t clean them, and they want to replace them as frequently as the wax guards need replacement, which can be weekly or more, depending on earwax. If that’s how she’s rolling, you will want to buy bags of 10. They are available online, and yes, just shop for ReSound domes, but you do need to know whether her aids need SureFit 2 or SureFit 3 domes, and you need the right type. If her aids need SureFit 3 domes, the chart above will help you search for the dome model number that matches her domes.

If you look on amazon, the sellers there are vague about SureFit 3 vs 2. They just say they sell “SureFit domes.” That’s probably not specific enough. You want to get the right ones for her model so she doesn’t have them come off in her ear. Once you know which ones you need, rather than shopping on amazon, try eBay. They may be shipped from Europe, so it may take a couple weeks. Make sure the seller says they’re in stock before ordering. This has worked well for me.

In my experience, wax can be brushed off domes pretty easily if you wait until it’s dried and flaky. A good time is in the morning, after taking the aids out of the dryer.

Your Costco may have a different attitude than mine, but I was told I should not go off buying domes/wax guards on my own as they were included in the purchase, just come by when I need more. But they do also say the domes should be changed once a month, wax guards as well unless they plug up sooner.

I was told about the same… They did say they would give them out but only a few at a time. They also told us we could not buy extras from them. They were not able to give us part #s to order them ourselves. (The lady did not seem to know what the part numbers were, she just gave us a small ziploc with a few in them. ) Costco is a county away so it is not a quick trip.

They are fairly cheap to buy If I can get the correct ones.

You could use the surefit 2 or 3, don’t worry they don’t full off in your ear, I have both and can interchange, never been a worry for me in the past, I’d add Phonak domes fit as well, so your’s is surefit 3 receiver which came out with the ReSound One, Omnia, Nexia, follow the chart I posted for part numbers, don’t worry these are all easy to replace and get on eBay.

Now that I think about it - when I was there a week ago getting adjustments made, she switched my dome type, and while I’ve gotten a packaged card of them in the past (still only 6 per pack), this time they were out of those and I got a little zip baggie instead. Maybe the dreaded supply chain problems have come to the dome manufacturers?!

Fortunately (or not) for me, Costco is about ten minutes away, and on the way to most of the other shopping I do. It would be a pain to have to make a long trip just for tiny little rubbery bits, even with the cheap hotdogs as added enticement.

The package card would be nice with the numbers, but I got the baggy. I don’t mind stopping with my Mother, but diagonal across the county is entertaining with traffic. I put it in the not thrilled to do list.