Help with DIY setup of Phonak Lumity L70-R

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can help me? I’ve been tweaking my own aids for a while - since Lockdown when getting access to an Audi was nigh on impossible. Fairly familar with Target & previously tweaked my NHS Phonak Nathos aids to good effect before being switched to an Oticon Opn Play 1PP on my LHS & CROS on Right. I have to say the Oticons have been awful - never got used to the occluded sound or the pain from the custom ear mould despite being on my 3rd impression. Speach in noise is a disaster - I generally stay in these days.

I recently got hold of a Phonak Lumity L70-R & have been trying to get it set up to see if its any beter. Target v9 works fine & I’ve been using AudiogramDirect to do the basic fit. However all I can get out of the Lumity is a lot of hiss and almost no target sound. If I up the gain to almost the feedback limit, the hiss sounds like a rainstorm, but still no usable target sound. I know the receiver, power dome (2P) works OK as streamed music is fine, but I’m startig to wonder if the aid I have is faulty.

Not quite sure how to upload my audiogram to my profile but, in the mean time, Right side is unaidable & left looks like attached - depending on what audiogram I believe.

Can anyone offer any pointers at all before I throw the towel in?

Thanks so much!

Where did you get the L70? Asking because I remember seeing one on ebay that looked like a dog chewed on it. I bought mine on ebay, too, but it’s a crapshoot, and there’s an infinite universe of things that could be wrong with anything from there.

If you’ve successfully used Target to program other aids before, then the only thing I can think of is maybe you accidentally turned on the tinnitus noise feature. Under Global Tuning, there should be a checkbox labeled ‘Enable Tinnitus Balance.’ Make sure it’s unchecked.

If it’s not that, then maybe there’s a problem with the microphones? When you’re streaming and you adjust the streaming/background balance, do you still hear the hiss?

Yeah so if your hearing streaming media no problem and can’t then get anything at the target levels then the microphone is the first place to look, what happens when you’re in Autosense and tap the HA
(Right by the microphone) do you “hear” the tap or just feel it.

Definately hasn’t been a dogs breakfast! Tinnitus balance is a great shout & was one of the first things I checked, but is switched off, so its not that. When streaming, the hiss is present when the slider’s on full ambient and fades out completely as I go over to full streaming.

Thanks Tenkan - yes, I get a verly slight ‘scratching’ when I tap the mics, so it is doing something, but its v quiet compared to what my other aids would do.

I’m guessing there’s an issue with either the mics or the amplification circuits.

Thanks for your help both!

Could try factory resetting the Aid to see if that helps.

Can be done in Target.