Help picking new hearing aid - Phonak / Starkey

Am 39 and been deaf my whole life. I currently wear Phonak Virto B power CIC hearing aids which I bought sometime early 2018.

After 5 years of wearing I’ve recently started having issues with one (sent off for repairs) which is typically a sign that I need to get a new set.

Have used Phonak for a few models now and whilst they were off for repair I trialed the Phonak Lumity RIC. Whilst the speech quality was better, the rechargeable batteries wasn’t enough for me and I didn’t like how aggressive the program switching was (but this is likely adjustable with my audiologist). If they did battery only, I could be convinced but would need to test with headphones.

I’m currently trialing the Starkey Genesis AI RIC. First time wearing Starkey which is interesting. Am VERY impressed by the long rechargeable battery life but the Bluetooth streaming leaves a lot to be desired as I can’t do it whilst walking with phone in pocket or holding low. Only day 3 of trials so still assessing.

Honestly, I remain disappointed by RIC for my use cases. With the additional microphones and larger space for computing power, I expected more but don’t notice huge differences. The streaming is nice but in public many don’t realize and can be a nuisance. Wife often doesn’t know when I’m on call / streaming or not either. As such, I’m valuing just wearing headphones instead!

My current thinking is between

• Starkey Genesis AI CIC
  • Phonak Paradise CIC
  • keep current 5 year old hearing aids (now refurbished) and wait for Phonak Lumity CIC

Any thoughts? Here’s my audiogram in case it helps

Do you have to have CIC?
How are you finding Starkey’s sound, better than both Phonak’s?
How long is your trial?
Can you try Oticon Real? (it has disposable batteries)
Have you tried Widex, Signia, ReSound, Philips … Costco?

1 Like

I’ve worn CIC for 20 years now. Thought I’d try RIC for obvious benefits of additional microphone, streaming and potential repairs in audiologist office as opposed to being sent off for 2-3 weeks.

Day 3 of Starkey – still getting used to it. Honestly not dramatically different from the scenarios I’ve encountered. Still heard my wife well in a noisy restaurant.

Have an appointment on Nov 14 which we may make some adjustments. Once I decide I want them it’s a 30 day trial. Audiologist is pretty generous IMO.

Never tried Oticon. My audiologist uses Starkey but also recommends Phonak (which I’ve used for so long). Don’t want to keep exploring as it’s a lot of hassle to go out, program, etc.

I’ve traditionally just stayed with Phonak the last 20-30 years as it’s a great brand and has worked for me. I only tried Starkey because of the huge battery life on the rechargeable. The bluetooth is a disappointment though. If I can’t get great bluetooth and great rechargeable battery life. I may as well go back to CIC. Question is do I wait for the Phonak Lumpy CIC to come out so I have the latest and greatest, get the paradise which is 1-2 years old, or get Starkey genesis which is latest and greatest.

1 Like

What do you mean by that? I guess you are talking about Starkey’s Bluetooth.

Yes, this is for the Stankey Genesis AI Bluetooth. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max

Two things

• when walking, the connection is terrible if my phone is in my pocket or in my hand at full extension (walking naturally). Occasionally I get some crackle if I’m sitting and holding my phone and cover up the wrong spot
  • not so much a dis at Starkey but a praise at Phonak. When I trialed the Phonak limits RIC, when it went into streaming mode I could adjust (press buttons on left/right aid or in app) the amount of active noise cancelation. Makes the streaming very functional if in a noisy place like a plane or cafe, but then want less noise cancellation whilst walking or at home

Problem is the Phonak Lumity RIC rechargeable battery doesn’t last me a full day when I’m actively streaming. It’s why I trialed the Starkey Genesis RIC - after a full active day of streaming I still had 40% battery.

I typically use YouTube 1-2 hours a day (enjoy a few podcast like content), 30min of non-work calls (work calls go through laptop) and probably another 15-30min on random videos from other apps. Heavy days I can do 3-4hours of YouTube streaming easily.

1 Like

BT streaming to the phonak aids eats batteries about twice as fast as not streaming. Tv connector and roger streaming uses a bit more battery than not streaming, but not nearly as fast as BT.

WH

Thanks. I’m using my phone whilst I’m out and about but good to know. Don’t tend to personally be in scenarios where I feel I benefit using these more energy efficient devices.

Hi, although I haven’t tried them Starkey last gen, Evolv AI 2400, has a CIC with Bluetooth that also has a non-rechargeable battery, its supposed to be really good. (but obviously not dual microphones)

I trialled the ITC Evolv AI 2400 which were rechargable batteries, and thought with Edge mode on were the best hearing aids I have ever tried, in my current HA journey, with the EXCEPTION of Bluetooth, they were awful and this was with iPhone 14 Pro Max, so I rejected them, I am waiting for the Genesis 24 ITC to come out in the UK, in the hope the Bluetooth might be better, but from your comments maybe not…

Since them I have tried Phonak Lumity Life, Oticon Real 1 (RIC), am waiting for Own 1 (ITC) and due to have trial of Jabra Enhance Pro 10’s next week (ITC) from CostCo. The Bluetooth on all of these tried so far was great but come to the conclusion as I like you prefer ITE/ITC rather than RIC’s.

Am tempted if the Starkey Genesis AI 24’s don’t work out to go back to try the Starkey Evolv 2400 CIC as hearing well is more important than streaming to me. And do prefer non rechargable for the convenience in my case, (lots of travelling and need longer lasting batteries). Also having a HA charger is just one more large thing that I have to take with me on top of all my other leads which I already have far to many :frowning:

2 Likes