Hearing test with K7s

One possibility is that the medium receiver has more “floor noise” than the S. This is typically described as a staticky sound. People with good low frequency hearing can often hear it. If you really want to try DSLv5, you can tell the fitter to go to the same section where they can choose SmartFit or NAL-NL2. I don’t really recommend it for somebody new who is just trying to get used to hearing aids though. It tends to really emphasize the high frequencies compared to other fitting regimens.

My tinnitus is similar to the sound you get when hand nears your mic in ha just does not increase in volume. I no idea if I need to try dslv5. I believe you said you use k7 with s rec. our graph looks similar with left ear. Thar rec. works for you I know there are variables which could include a wr scores not been test in over 2 yrs. for wr or srt. I have worn these for 2.5 years and had issues with wife’s voice without asking her to repeat what she said. There was an improvement in her voice clarity with the m rec. noise or feedback or whatever the sound was to much for me. I know you said you tinkered with your setting to make the s rec. work for you. I am confused as to what to ask Costco to do going forward. The 3 thing most interested may not be compatible but watch a lot of tv so want decent sound and wife’s voice, and at least 6000 hz to help with misunderstood words. Is that unrealistic?

Here are their choices in the Connexx fitting software. They can select from 5 fitting formulas. See the First Fit screen shot below:

Here are their choices for click dome types:

It sounds like your fitter is quite inexperienced and seems to be just following a fixed recipe for fitting. Do you have an option of trying a different Costco?

What you are describing as tinnitus is almost certainly feedback caused by your domes not sealing well enough or the vents are too large. As far as DSL v5 it certainly would try to give you more high frequency levels. However it would be even more difficult with respect to feedback. You would need custom molds for sure. So, I guess it kind of depends on how badly you want to hear those high frequencies. Here is what it would look like with molds and a M receiver. Your left ear could really use a P receiver if DSL is to be used as even the M is running out of headroom at the high frequencies.

The 3 thing most interested in may not be compatible but watch a lot of tv so want decent sound and wife’s voice, and at least 6000 hz to help with misunderstood words. Is that unrealistic? I am confused as to what to ask Costco to do going forward. Don’t want to be a pain in the backside S receiver give some feedback quick squeal with higher pitches, and some mis understood words from wife within a 3 ft range.

Have you looked at the REM results? How close did they get you to hearing 6000hz? It might be possible in the left ear, not in the right. How picky are you about “sound quality?” Frequency lowering can definitely make 6000hz audible, but you might not like it. If I’m remembering correctly, you were already complaining about sibilance (harsh sounding sh sound) That results from hearing high frequencies you haven’t heard before. Many people adjust to it. Others don’t (or don’t give themselves enough time–not sure which) TV has an easy fix. Get the device that allows direct streaming to the hearing aids. As far as how to deal with the Costco people. Share the problems you are trying to solve and let them try to solve them. I’d stay away from requests like “I want to hear 6000 hz.” and put it into terms like “I can’t understand my wife.” I don’t remember if you’ve ever shared your word recognition scores. Keep in mind we’re talking about improving your hearing, not perfecting it.

I wouldn’t worry about being a pain in the butt to Costco. However, I learned a long time ago that it is very difficult to push a rope. It sounds like the local fitter is not all that competent. About all that you can do in that situation is keep asking questions. As MDB says ask questions like “Is there a way to help understand my wife?” With your loss in your left ear, DSL v5 is not likely to help. It is most likely to aggravate the feedback problems. What would be nice would be if they could put it into one program and let you try it. However, it sounds like that would be like trying to push a rope with this particular fitter.

Based on what you have described so far, I am not sure you can make a big improvement without going to custom molds. That would let them use more gain without having feedback.

Thanks, it does seem to be a Don Quixote adventure. I’ve became complacent having issues fixed in a couple of tries definitely not with hearing. I know it’s not quite right but can’t quite put it into words that would make it easier for the fitter ( heck I didn’t even know the sound was feedback thinking it was my tinnitus) I will continue reading other post but stop asking questions for a while and see where I can get to with Costco. Thanks again

Sorry, but made a discovery while watching the Marvel movie wife like to use sound system. I turned the noise/party selection on still loud so took sound down 3 beeps (K7’s also changed domes from open 8 mm to rt ear to tulip left to closed 8mm also zero feedback when hands touch mic. area) when movie was over noticed normal tv sounded good wife voice was good still lost words like cease hearing thief instead and k sounds hearing piff instead pick. If this could be improved upon a little I may have found a sweet spot. Guess noise program block sounds allowing speech to be better heard then lowering volume to my individual comfortable level. Can that be transferred to automatic program and then tweaked? I am on way back to Costco Thursday hoping this will help get to a good program level.

1 Like

The main differences I see in Connexx between the Automatic program, and the Noise/Party program at least for the KS8 is that in Automatic both Noise Reduction and Microphone are in automatic mode. In Noise/Party they are in manual with noise control set to Strong, and the microphone focus set to iLock.

It looks like you could pretty much do that for the Automatic program too, but you would be defeating most of the automatic functionality for noise control and microphone focus. My thoughts would be to optimize the Noise/Party for your specific needs and keep them both as options.

1 Like

I’ll just add that something I’ve found is that decreasing the overall gain in Noise/Party is helpful. Often a lot of the problem in noisy situations is that the noise is overwhelming and taking it down a notch helps a lot.

Yes, in the Basic Tuning, they could cut back on the Master Gain setting for the Noise/Party program. I also often find it too loud, but just use my iPhone to drop the volume a step or two.

I was hoping for a break thru on auto set program wife’s voice is better/louder tv has high freq. pitches I hear the words with some feed back open domes but with any dome higher freq. are high pitched. Noise program louder voices more clarity but high pitches same as above when volume is turned down 3 notches tv very tolerable but wife’s voice declines. Not in noisy environment other than tv being on 8 hrs. a day. Was hoping they could look at where setting was with that program and domes and make adjustment off that for slightly better wife’s voice. I’m old school with flip phone guess I need to get out of the past,

Did you do this test with speakers or headphones?

Both not top quality but good enough for two others in room w/o ha could hear sounds from speaker and from headphone even lying on desk, beep and tone online you tube and at birds hear birds again. Side note ha had been repaired for same issue twice sent off rec. them sent them back. Tech thinks it’s the aids would even listen to aid and said with different adjustments she could hear feedback sent back Thur. was told would rec. a new pair not repaired. I did get a loner ( big surprise to me did not know Costco had them even marked loner on aid trax 42 ) They appear to be a lot better but if I were to keep would have a few tweaks but could live with what I have if had to. I was about to throw in the towel and live with what I had thinking it was me, and buy a better/more expensive latter this year. I am glad to see the person working with me is willing to put this much effort into helping. some might say it’s their job but seen a few other techs that did not go the extra mile. Unless you are very knowledgeable you are at their judgement call.