Hearing Loss Among Musicians University Project Video Presentation Feedback

Hi,

I’m a master’s student studying Music at Edinburgh Napier University in Edinburgh. In April, I had contacted this forum seeking participants for my major research project. Thank you if you took part. Your answers were beneficial to my research. The project is now finished. Once finalised and submitted I would be delighted for you to read it should it be of interest. If you are a member of this group and took part, please ignore this post, as I contacted you yesterday (12:00 – 17:00 UK time) with a post with a similar message. Thanks to those who got back to me with your feedback. Those I’ve yet to hear from, please check your DMs/emails and reply as soon as possible. If you never took part (Engage with student’s research. It cost’s nothing to help out.) I would be delighted to talk you through the project in more detail. If interested, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I’m reaching out to this forum again because I am working on another project which I believe is of paramount importance to hard of hearing musicians and hard of hearing sufferers’ quality of life. I believe investigations on this project will be of interest to this group.

Hearing loss is a significant problem in the music industry. Every musician has an experience of hearing loss at some stage in their practice. There are 17 million musicians worldwide. 8.5 million have hearing loss. 70% have some type of hearing loss and do not act upon it.

Why?

Many musicians live in fear of their loss. Many feel they will be labelled “old” and “less intelligent”. Due to these misconceptions results in musicians concealing their loss or reluctant to wear protection. As well as this, negative connotations surrounding identity (particularly amongst the younger generation) as musicians.

What can be done?

It is time to overcome that fear.

An attitude like this towards hearing loss needs to be changed. Hearing loss should not be a hinderance on confidence, ability to perform, and optimism for success in the music industry.

As part of this project, I have created a short video presentation to empower you to shift this attitude toward hearing loss.

Link to the video:

I invite you to share your thoughts and opinions on this video. Please be critical. It will benefit the direction of this project.

I look forward to receiving your feedback.

Michael

Michael Parker
Student - MA Music, Edinburgh Napier University
10 Colinton Rd
Edinburgh EH10 5DT
40322674@live.napier.ac.uk

I shall watch the video tomorrow. In my case, I developed Tinnitus, that one day just never went away, after a gig where I was playing (electric guitar), or seeing another band, I can’t remember.

As time went by, I thought the Tinnitus was stopping word recognition, so thought nothing could be done. In 2009 I developed glue ear in both ears. Grommets were fitted, and the surgeon informed my of the Moderate/Severe loss.

A lot of folk out there don’t realise tgat both are connected!

Peter