Hearing Devices on Apple Watch

I recently updated my iPhone to iOS 17 and my Apple Watch to version 10 and noticed that hearing devices is now on the Control Centre. Unfortunately you can’t adjust the volume (which would probably be the most useful feature) but you can adjust the program and see the battery level.

So if you are wearing Phonak devices it appears they don’t work with Apple watch yet; however you can control Oticon, Widex hearing aids with the Apple watch.

I don’t have an Apple Watch, but I notice that I can’t control the volume of my Resound Omnias through the IOS 17 widget on my iPhone 12 Pro. The control is there, but moving it doesn’t change anything. So I suspect it would be the same on Apple Watch.

Update- I just realized that you can change the volume, it is just clunky. Clicking on the Microphone Level ‘sliders’ does work to change the volume - R or L lowers it and the usual volume symbol increases the volume.

@david.hendon What widget are you using? I don’t see one for hearing device settings, but if I triple click on the side button still get to the hearing aid controls, and I can change the volume from there.

A watch version of the ReSound Smart 3D app works very well on the latest versions of the Apple Watch. It allows you to access almost all the features of the Smart 3D app on the iPhone (volume, noise control, treble, bass, chosen HA program, etc.). You have to be within BT range of your iPhone, though, as it works through the iPhone, which has to be able to connect to your HA’s for any settings changes made to go through to your HA’s. Still, I really like the watch version since I don’t have to move to grab my iPhone and fire it up. I have the app set to launch through a “complication” (tiny widget) on my watch face.

Yes, oticon has an app as well. But with the latest Apple Watch update you don’t need an app or a complication (not sure if they are all the same, but the oticon complication only works on a few watch faces). With this update you can control MFI HAs directly through the watch, no app required

If you’re referring to widgets in the new watch interface or to the Control Center (now requiring a push of the side button to access), since a complication is always present and immediately accessible on the watch face I use, it’s a LOT faster than either of the alternatives you mention and I have a ton more control over my HA’s. I have an Apple Watch Ultra and an iPhone 14 Pro Max. In iOS 17, the watch app loads like gangbusters from the complication. Since you haven’t tried the complication and also since the Oticon app might not be as quick as the Smart 3D app, it’s hard to tout what you suggest as superior when you haven’t or can’t do as I suggest: use a complication with the Oticon app on the watch face of your choice.

Also, maybe the Oticon app has improved since Chuck Kemp (@cvkemp) last reviewed it. IIRC, he thought it was so bad he did advise using the Apple Hearing Devices interface rather than the Oticon app. To illustrate what I’m talking about, the Oticon ON app has a 2.9 rating in the App Store. The ReSound Smart 3D app has a 4.7 rating in the App Store.

@jim_lewis I didn’t say I haven’t tried the complication, I do use a complication with the Oticon app. I also never said using the hearing devices function was superior. My intent in my original post was just to let people know that this capability has been added, in case others didn’t know (I just found it by accident). I find it useful, but if you don’t that’s ok!

1 Like

I have since walked away from apple ios and went to Samsung S23 and i am using the companion beta app with out any issues. I also got the Samsung Watch, even though it doesn’t support the app i am still way better off.

1 Like

Regarding Android watches. I’m looking into that at the moment. From what I’ve read thus far, an APK for the Companion app would be the first step required to get the app functioning on the watch. It’s a bit of a process but looks doable.

1 Like