Hearing aids whistling like crazy

When they are whistling try using your finger to press the mould deep into your ear. If the whistling stops then consider a different mould material or a different fit. Likely your boost settings are triggering the feedback and if you can’t reduce boost, fit might help. Frequency shifting would move the offending frequencies a bit and that might be palatable. IMHO of course. Personally I did not care for frequency shifting but I was not quite driven to it–a luxury I admit.

Hi @VinceJ

Tried all of that but still whistled. Even just turning my head it screeches like mad. But this is the 2nd time they have replaced them now and my left hearing aid is significantly quieter than the right one, but both of them cause so, so much feedback. She has shifted my high frequency “dead” regions to other frequencies that I can hear, but in all honesty I am not really hearing much different than before.

Zest was first and then Synergy.

There is a Pink Sky SP and a Caribbean Pirate (blue) Sky SP. Many people wear 2 different colours but it may not be what you want.

I’ve worn 2 different colours in the past.

You got to think if you buy old old heating aids if the audiologist has the appropriate old software and fitting device.

Phonak iCube II is needed for the Sky V70.

OK. Geez. Wow. I totally feel for ya! Your audiogram looks WAY challenging to fit - altho, I’m no audi or expert here. You go from pretty good hearing in the low frequencies to like NONE at the higher ones. So jacking up the volume and high frequency settings is like setting a house on fire. I honestly wonder if there is an aid out there that can cover such a dynamic range as you have? I wish you all the luck with the suggestions posted here.

I go NUTS when I get whistling feedback, but it’s always cuz my silicone tips work their way out of my ear canals, so I just have to push them in deeper. But you have custom molds with a small vent, so I can’t imagine improving upon that.

Also just a statement to declare empathy with you NHSers. FOURTEEN WEEKS without proper hearing is like beyond cruel. I once lasted 2 full days without aids when I had otitis and had to take them both out. And then the power failed during that time (winter). So I was walking in the footsteps of Helen Keller by night.

Is it possible to hang on to a pair of backup aids if you get them through the NHS? Cuz backups are the LEAST the NHS could do for folks with hearing loss. To deny that functionality is completely unacceptable.

Have you tried to plug the ‘small’ vents? They make plugs or you can improvise. It would mean overcoming the natural aversion to occlusion but it is doable. And, frankly, many of us are on a down slope to this condition. The slope varies but the end point — not so much.

I have the Phonak Audeo P90-R HAs with molds. My left aid would whistle but pushing it deeper in my ear would stop it for 10 minutes or so, then start again. My VA audi got me a new mold with a piece that fits into my outer ear and holds the mold deeper in my ear. Haven’t had any whistles since. It fits comfortably.

2 Likes