Hearing aids and that hollow sound of voice

Number 1 is yes.
Number 2 Yes
Number 3 No.

Well, I didn’t buy the Widex, I went with Phonak. Thank you. Widex had no programs.

The reason I asked those questions is that pulling it out a bit is a commonly used test for occlusion which can lead to that hollow, echoing, booming sound. Frankly, (and this is just me), I would have tried a larger vent and then attempted to adjust for clarity since feedback wasn’t an issue. I used to run into the occlusion problem with custom ITEs and ITCs. If a patient had good lows, there was just not enough room in the canal to shove the electronics, the casing, AND a large vent. When the new Redi-Fit ITCs were released, I fell in love because I could put an open tip on them reducing or eliminating the occlusion effect.

Thanks for the topic. I think it’s an important one.

The best test for the source of occlusion is to turn the aid off and place it in the ear: then speak.

If your voice is still booming, physical modification to the venting is needed.
If the booming only happens only when the aid is turned on, try altering the 500Hz gain in both directions to see if this reduces or balances the resonance. Sometimes more gain here is beneficial if it is out of phase with your voice signal.

3 Likes

Will do. Have to have my audi adjust if needed.