Hearing aids and that hollow sound of voice

The audi or tech needs to reduce the compression between 200 and 750 hz, and add a little bit of gain. If you talk loud, or even above normal, your voice is putting the hearing aids into compression too early and too aggressively, which moves the sound from your ears to inside your head.

2 Likes

Interesting insight about part-time usage leading to deteriorating speech recognition due to cognitive factors. Especially as I am relatively young, had rapid onset, and have always had relatively good discrimination in the booth even with my loss, my audi has long been concerned about maximizing my ability to capitalize on these strengths. It’s why she recommended two aids despite the mildness of my loss in the right–something I have never regretted. And she, too, emphasized wearing them as much as possible (which was, I admit, made easier by my open fitting). From the beginning I have worn my aids from waking to bedtime, usually 16-18 hours per day.

It’s also why we have tried to minimize the use of noise suppression, speech enhancement, etc. in my program as much as possible: we want to give my ears the frequencies they need but still make them work for understanding. This is why I love my Opn aids: the sound is so natural and transparent that it allows me to maximize my own hearing while giving me just enough support to allow me to hear in complex environments. Four years on, I’ve still got 100% discrimination at 20 dB and – more importantly – I’m still getting around 85% discrimination without my aids, unchanged since I started wearing my Alta2’s nearly five years ago.

I will tell my audi this on next appt June 12th. You are very knowledgeable. I thank you.

Thanks for that explanation! There are times when my voice sounds normal to me, but more often it seems like I’m talking in an empty room, and I feel like I’m shouting. I wear open domes, so it’s not occlusion in my case. All the possible adjustments have been made to reduce this effect and I was told this is the best it will get. So even after 9 months, I have not gotten used to my own voice. Now I understand why.

Not only does my voice sound echoy the other person sounds that way too.

Have you noticed this?

See pages 39 & 40 in the Starkey document below. It suggests adjustments based on user feedback on what they are hearing. Some of it is Starkey specific, and other recommendations would apply to any hearing aid.

Starkey Compression Handbook

Interesting and complicated but at least I have something go by, Thank you.

I did notice that intermittently when I first got them. I had what seemed to me like a long adjustment period, but I wore them all day, every day. Once I adjusted, my echoey voice comes and goes, but others no longer sound that way. Now I really notice when I don’t wear them how muffled everything sounds. So when my voice annoys me, I just make a conscious effort to ignore it, and sometimes I actually succeed with not noticing anymore. I wear Oticon OPN 1 btw.

The Widex Evokes have lots of programmes, universal is the base setting which automatically moves between sound classes. Then you can choose from programmes such as comfort, social, party, transport, music etc. They’re great hearing aids, I have the ITCs and my son has the F2s.

This Evokes do not have programs maybe because I wear a CROS. I asked the audi why and he said it’s just the way they are made. They are the 440 Fusion. So, I’m confused. They are at one level of sound and I can’t change it but to pull the one out a bit. I probably won’t buy them. They do fit great thou.

I’m trying the Phonaks Audeo B90 with programs now.

Thank you, I wish I could buy the Widex.

I’m sorry to hear that, it must be frustrating. I am not sure exactly how the cros works. I know if I only have one in I can’t change the programme. I hope you get things sorted to your satisfaction.

The Cros sends sounds on the left side over to the other aid on my right side, it’s not a hearing aid by itself. Well maybe thats why with Widex, you have to have two working aids. But, that’s not the case with the Phonak, hum, wondering why the Widex hasn’t gotten their technology up to date.

Do you have a Widex rep/customer services, I am sure they would be happy to help if needed.

That’s an idea. Thank you.

You mean you used hearing aids and the problem of sounding hollow or echos and loud every problem is solved. If so, then it is a good idea. I have the same question.

I have worn hearing aids all day, every day, for over a decade, and I have never, ever adjusted to the occlusion sound of my own voice. I always either winced or had to pull them out slightly to speak comfortably.

NO adjustment any of my (multiple - audiologists seem to move around like fireflies in summer) audiologists could make has ever been able to resolve the issue for me. It actually causes me a physical reaction that had me on anti-anxiety medication because it was that or ditch the HA’s entirely and just accept being non-hearing.

The best solution we ultimately came to was making them a more open fit, even though that has drawbacks. It was the best bad solution for me.

Well, I can certainly agree with you. And, it’s not only the occlusion of my voice other peoples voices sound the same too when I talk to them.

You may want to stop in at a Costco and ask for a demo of the KS8, Rexton, or at another place that carries Signia which feature own voice processing. The Own Voice Processing does help, not perfect, but does help a lot. The technology is both highly advanced and real simple. My understanding of the way it works is first to train the HA to recognize your voice as unique from others. That is fairly high tech. The second part is quite simple. When it knows you are speaking it simply turns the amplification down. When you are speaking you don’t need to hear others, so it works. When you stop speaking amplification goes back up again, and you hear the response from the other person you are talking to.

That sounds more like an equalization problem where certain frequencies are over amplified, while others are under amplified.

A couple of questions for you:

1. When you pull it out a bit, does the hollow, echo effect get better?
  2. When you pull it out a bit, does your level of hearing get any worse?
  3. Lastly, when you pull it out a bit, do you get feedback?

Thanks!