Hearing Aid Updates: My Oticon Aids May Have Been DOA

Yes, I’ll be updating my audiologist too. But, just thought I would provide an update. Since I got these loaners earlier today, I have noticed a substantial difference in how the CROS unit works with the Loaner XCeed 1. There is significantly better volume and a noticeable increase in its efficacy. This configuration is a disposable battery-powered XCeed 1, and rechargeable CROS unit.

When I touched the speakers on my CROS unit before, I could barely make out whether or not anything was actually happening. Even on a brand-new battery. It’s much more obvious and noticeable that it’s working with the working loaners.

I am wondering if I got DOA (dead on arrival) units out of the box. Heck, maybe both, considering how well these two aids are working together.

:expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless:

2 Likes

Over 24 hours and no random reboots with the loaner units. More observations:

1. I can hear sounds upstairs and through the walls without much issue. This was always a problem with my old units.

2. I can hear low volume and softer voices clearly, where I wasn’t able to before.

3. My CROS unit has always felt ridiculously underpowered. And it’s supposed to be a UP CROS unit.

4. Even my DIY adjustments were not enough to overcome the mechanical failures that were present in my Xceed 1 and CROS units out-of-the-box that I received in January, 2024. :roll_eyes:

5. Even streaming is significantly better.

Still a couple more days to test and see whether reboots will happen. But, I suspect with these fully functional units there will not be any reboots.

The quality of sound clarity and level of operation is simply something that was not achievable with my other aids of the same exact make and model out-of-the-box.

I would have known none of this if I never had the opportunity to try these.

I am convinced that my aids were either DOA, or fairly close to it when I received them in January.

1 Like

Day 4 living with my new loaners. No random reboots. Jury is still out until the end of today. My new hearing aids were definitely DOA.

My chief complaint with my Oticon XCeed 1 + CROS was how underpowered it was (for a UP), and that softer voices, lower volume voices, etc. were inaudible from the next room. That is no longer the case.

Something was seriously wrong with these aids when I got them in January.

Do you suppose those initial aids you got in January needed some kind of firmware update on them at the factory? I ask cuz I had the same random “reboot” issues with my Oticon OPNs years ago. O’course I was traveling, and couldn’t attend to it till I returned home THREE MONTHS LATER. But once my audi did the firmware update, I never go another random reboot.

Keep us posted! You’re intrepid and fearless, so if you can’t figure this out, I wonder if your audi could?

1 Like

@1Bluejay- Thanks!! And will do! But just FYI - when I brought my Jan 2024 aids up in the Oticon Genie program, it did not flag them as being without the latest firmware updates.

Update: Based on the symptoms of my devices, I am getting new ones from the manufacturer.