Hearing aid test and aids at Specsavers (UK)

is it true that you can go to specsavers in the uk for a test and supply of hearing aids and paid for by the nhs ?? as i have an audiology hearing test and they say it will be approx 12 months away - so can i just go to specsavers or boots the chemist ? thank in the uk here

For Specsavers you have to get a doctors referral for NHS hearing aids and a test otherwise you end up paying not sure how long the referral process takes. Boots I don’t know but I’m sure someone else maybe able to help with info about boots.

1 Like

I don’t believe Boots Hearing Care does NHS referrals @LRav… Although, I could be wrong, I have had many discussions with one of their Audiologists, and that subject was never brought up… I can’t comment on Specsavers, as I have only been there for glasses in the past, but I have read they will take referrals from the NHS for folks whom need hearing aids? Boots will let you pay a 10% deposit on new aids, and pay the rest up over 2 years, that used to be interest free, but after the last couple of years of high inflation, they changed that policy to around 11% interest, I believe? Personally, I would far rather pay for my own aids, not that I am rich or anything like it, but you get premium aids, basically appointments, as and when required, you are not waiting months on end… And you get to choose your aids! I have bought 3 sets of aids from Boots, over perhaps 5 or 6 years, the first & second set, I paid up, interest free, the 3rd set, I saved up, prior to getting my Phonak Lumity Naida 90 UP BTE’s, in a couple of years, I will probably have saved enough for the next iteration of the Naida’s… Good Luck @bertybasset39. Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Try the online appointment system. It will tell you if your area has NHS franchise.

1 Like

thanks for the info will try in the next week or so

1 Like

Yes, Specsavers in England depending on your GP’s postcode, not sure about Wales or Northen Ireland, definitely not the area in Scotland where I live.

1 Like

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/hearing/hearing-aids/nhs-hearing-aids

1 Like

ahhh its scotland im in — so i will get into a shop and ask - you never know :crossed_fingers:

1 Like