Hearing Aid Survival Kit

So I’m mentioned in a couple of other threads that I was considering designing a 3D printed storage case for my hearing aids the original idea was somewhere safe to put them on my bedside table overnight. Then tdpday mentioned about carrying spare batteries around with you, so that’s another compartment I thought of adding. Then Jim Lewis mentioned always putting your aids in the same place when you remove them, so they don’t get lost. So then I thought it’s not just for the bedside table, but a general carry around storage box, and that leads me to here.

So apart from storing your aids and batteries, what accessories would you consider putting in a survival kit of everything you need to care for your HA’s. Obvious items would be a cleaning brush, cleaning cloth, maybe spare wax guards I imagine. Possible accessories like remote mics and the ConnectClip in my case would be added, but you don’t want a full size toolbox to carry around.

So, what other things are people using, or would include in a hearing aid survival kit?

Russell.

1 Like

I place mine in a dry box whenever i take them off.

I’Ve seen people mention UV boxes. Are they necessities, nice to haves, or luxury items? Is it the germ killing that’s important, or the humidity? Does it depend in your climate? I’m in a quite dry climate where I am, and will be giving the aids a wipe down each night, so wasn’t sure if this is something I need.

Dry box is not germ killing . You can simply buy / get desiccant (silica gel pillows etc that you find in medicine bottles) and put it in the container you are using . Its for removing any moisture accumulated in your device. It helps in prolonging useful life of your HAs and fewer trips to your provider for service / repair issues

My Costco ReSound Forte 8 came with a small container that has room for two batteries. Since I always carry a fanny pack or small shoulder bag with a computer, it lives in there.

I have the Perfect Dry Lux I got from Costco with the Fortes for $40. It is UV / heat / fan dehumidify to disinfect and dry. Necessary? Maybe not, I’ve just had enough health issues that I see this as a longevity and safety measure to place them in there every night. I also live in a dry California climate, but I spend so much time outdoors and active that I almost always have some sweat running down my ears, forehead, and neck.

https://www.oaktreeproducts.com/perfectdry-lux-dehumidifier-000016

My Phonaks came with a nice little box with special space for two spare batteries under the little brush with the magnet on one end to make battery handling easier. They also came with a spare case the same, a microfiber cleaning cloth and a D-Dry electric dryer with UV sanitizer function (3 or 6 hour options for drying).

I have cut up microfiber glasses cleaning cloths into clothes about 6 X 10 cm and keep one in the little case all the time for cleaning. I keep the case with me in my handbag. I also carry spare wax filters in the little case they come in. At home I have a Jodivac to vacuum the microphones etc occasionally.

I use the D-dry every night as the keeping spot on my bedside table.

Spare domes if you’re using domes.

Just get the DRI-EZE containers, about 4 bucks each, they have a desiccant lining that absorbs moisture for six months, then just toss it and replace it. Been using it for 2 years works great

Mine would be a glasses cloth to wipe them down every night. I also put my HAs in a Dry and Store Breeze everytime I take them out.

So basicallydessicant in a container works as a dryer. Found several proprietry ones of those in australia ranging from $15 to $35. Electric ones are $150+. I could get 50 packs of silica gel for $2 from eBay…

Funny, one of the sites that talked about refreshing the dessicant in an oven or microwave also had to include a disclaimer warning not to put your hearing aids in the microwave or oven :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you still don’t have your aids yet you may want to wait and see what comes with them. Many audiologists or manufacturers will include some of this stuff. My first aids came with the Westone canister with desiccant which you recycle and my second set came with the D-dry.

Yes I wasn’t going to purchase till I see what I get. Next Wednesday I get my aids.

Be sure the cleaning brush has a wire loop at the end for removing wax. It really helps.

2 Likes

The very nice generic instructions that TruHearing.com sends on foldable, plastic user “quick guides” on the care and use of HA’s also emphasize “always put your HA’s in the same place,” too.

Don’t know whether you can buy from Amazon in Australia but because Amazon shows related products or “what other shoppers are buying,” you can get a feel for what’s popular with HA users at least on Amazon. I didn’t buy it but there is a very popular $7.95 USD 5-piece toolkit that includes a brush, a long probe, a hooked tool for prying open battery doors, and a magnet latching on to HA batteries. The tools are locked into a case and the case has space to store your HA batteries overnight or I guess to put dead ones if you’re out and about and have already inserted new batteries into your HA’s.

The acu-life one? Only AUS$30.24!

Yes on the Acu-Life 5-in-1. Yikes! - on the AUS$ price!

My ReSounds came with a brush that has a little wire loop on the other end. And I’ve ordered a consumer Jodi-Vac, too. My wife keeps raising her eyebrows at, “Honey, I need this, too!” So I wasn’t sure I needed any of the tools on the Acu-Life. Don’t need the battery door opener or the battery magnet or the battery storage compartment in the tool case. Already have brush and wire loop. The long pointy probe (5th tool) looked interesting, in case in the post-apocalyptic era (Mad Max!), I’m reduced to fishing for grubs but then, although the case is very small, you have to use the tools in Swiss Army knife fashion flipping them out of the case/holder one at a time. Just mentioned the Acu-Life 5-in-1 has something that seems to be very popular with HA disposable battery users.

1 Like