Hearing aid service life

Hello I have a set of 6 year old hearing aids fron now Signia and my audiologist said the can now be repaired anymore. I thought 6 years is young any idea how long they should last I have profound hearing loss and aids are not cheap, I used to buy a new set every 10 to 11 years, can repair centers repair 10 year old hearing aids?
Thank you for your time and response Ron

6 years is pushing it, but possible [depends on the model too]. You’d have to ask around, some centres are owned by hearing aid manufacturers and they’d rather sell you a new one than repair the old.

1 Like

@imcgyver1
Check with Llouds hearing

https://lloydhearingaid.com/

2 Likes

Hello!
It varies by country. In my case, according to the manufacturer Phonak, the useful life is 5 years. They generally recommend replacing every 3 years. In Argentina, the repair cost is equivalent to a newer model. I don’t know in your country, there may be spare parts available, as long as they are original of course.
Environmental factors must be taken into account, in my case it usually reduces its useful life, given that I live in a region with humidity.
Find out how much the spare parts cost and that the price is not what a new one is equivalent to.
I hope my information has been useful to you.
Greetings!
Fere

1 Like

My Costco hearing aid tech said Rexton will not repair my KS8 aids after 5 years.

1 Like

In the UK service is usually provided for 5 years after the manufacturers stop retailing the product. They usually retail the current and previous 2 platforms so this would work out at approx 11yrs if you purchased a tech as soon as it was released.
It used to be the case that Starkey would repair anything, I’m not sure if they still do that though.

2 Likes

UK = of Lloyds in terms of repairing.

1 Like

Second Lloyd’s Hearing Aids. I assume you’ve got big, solid UP BTEs. I think Lloyd’s should be able to get some more life out of them, but I’d give them a call first.

1 Like

Third for Check with Lloyd’s hearing Aids.

I’d be tickled to death if I got six years from my hearing aids. 3 to 4 has been my experience for the last 18 years. Initially it was offset by the vast improvements in the new aids. Not so much anymore.

There are too many factors, including the care put into maintenance. Humidity/moisture ( although some HAs have hydrophobic coating or have some level or water resistance nowadays ).
In the canal ones will fail faster, for obvious reasons.

I’m guessing that the first thing to go in my Signia AX RICs, will be the lithium-ion battery (it’s rated for 5 years of use, well see about that…). I can’t imagine receivers failing (they’re the easiest part to replace too) since they’re made out of titanium and I don’t even have to change filters since they aren’t accumulating any wax. The shell is sealed plus my charger dries them.

It was a completely different story with my Widex CICs

1 Like

I had a single Widex in the canal hearing aid. 10 years of terrible service.

I hated it; it hurt when I chewed or talked. (long story…) It was my stress meter. If i took it out, I knew I was stressed…

I took it to Listen Up Canada and the fellow cleaning it broke it. Said, “you need to buy new hearing aids.” The mic was broken he said. What a company…I hope they aren’t in business any longer.