Hearing Aid Receiver Sizes

How do I know what size receiver to select for my hearing aids?

Not sure why you would select the receivers that is a process that the software the audiologist uses does when your audiogram has been entered to the software that the brand and model of aids that have been chosen.

1 Like

There’s a both a size and a power level. The size refers to the length of the receiver wire. There’s a little tool that hearing aid fitters can use to measure the distance (probably can be found online and printed up) although I expect many fitters can eyeball it. There’s also a bit of trial and error and individual preference. Goals are to have hearing aid on top of ear and not have excess (or too short) of wire going into ear. The power level is determined by one’s hearing loss. (Look at fitting ranges of various receivers) Although this isn’t technically a “size,” P and UP receivers are notably bigger.

2 Likes

I’m confused re receivers. I understand now that the receiver wire is that tube like piece that goes from the aid in your ear to the part behind the ear. Is that right? I’m hearing that I need a receiver in my aids in order to use the Phonak Roger devices. I figured out these are 2 different things. I have K10s (Phonak from Costco) will any of the Roger devices work with them? I was told they will not. Can someone please explain all of this to me. Thank you.

Yes, Roger “receivers” and the hearing aid receivers are two entirely different things. Your KS10s are compatible with Roger devices. They just need Roger “licenses” to activate their “receivers.” The simplest way to do this is to buy a Roger iN (either Select or On) device and if buying used make sure it has both “licenses” installed. The “licenses” are then transferred to your hearing aids. There’s lots of threads on here about the process.

1 Like

I’d like to be a better participant in my conversation with the audiologist. I don’t know if size &/or power of receivers is based on judgment or is strictly predetermined by hearing loss or other factors.

The wire length is a measurement that the audiologist makes, the strength of the receivers are determined by your audiogram and the recommendation of the setup software that is used for the aids that you and your audiologist decide to use.

3 Likes

Thank you, @cvkemp. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you SO much. How do I know if used that it has both licenses installed? Is it difficult to transfer them to my hearing aids?

You can see the exact size receivers you have by finding the blue for left and red for right letters and numbers labeled on each receiver. If you are teplaciytgem.tgat is the easy way to get exactly what you have.

ummm…say, what now?

Spell check…and big fingers.
Sorry about that.
If you are replacing them that is the easy way to get exactly what you have.

Oh! I thought this was another instance of you kids with your geek speak messaging each other.

If new and it’s an iN, it has 2 receivers installed. If it’s use, you need to ask the seller if the seller doesn’t specify. They usually mention if 2 receivers, one receiver or none is installed. You should get 2. I’ve never transferred them but I’ve heard it’s pretty easy as long as you’re dealing with an iN device. It’s more complicated if you’re dealing with Roger X receivers.