Hearing aid providers / recommended audiologists in London, UK - profound hearing loss

I have had profound hearing loss from birth and in my 40s.
I have generally used Phonaks all my life - currently using NHS provided Nathos Auto UP.
Did go private in past, but was unimpressed with aids. Tried NHS again, but they are stretched - hence looking to go back to private.
Have attached audiogram as suggested by someone else.
Am after a decent audiologist ideally based in London, who is keen to work with the individual to get to the best solution / setup. Also someone who can talk to / support with additional assistive technologies - keen to get the latest and greatest.
Keen to hear any thoughts / recommendations anyone may have, noting my profound hearing loss.

1 Like

I think from what Iā€™ve read on this forum, Boots hearing seem to be good with 4 years warranty (5 if you buy them online other than boots I meant), @kevels55 has some experience if he is kind to share his thoughts.

Also, Not sure about Costco if you want to give them a try.

Specsavers hearing?

2 Likes

Strange, and unique Audiogram @geordie, almost symmetrical, I donā€™t believe I have seen one that close before? You appear to like Phonak, so the Naida Lumity 90 UP BTEā€™s would most likely be the weapon of choice, for your loss? I believe the cheapest option is Boots Hearing Care, Ā£2996 (With all the discounts) for the pair, fully fitted, with custom moulds, plenty follow up visits, 90 dayā€™s return for a full no quibble refund, I believe? The Naida Lumity 90ā€™s are indeed excellent hearing aids, clarity is exceptionally good, with rock steady Bluetooth, and simultaneous connectionsā€¦I have a set myself. A Roger On iN version 2, might prove very beneficial Geordie, around Ā£1400ā€¦ Expensive but good, I have several Roger ALDā€™s, (Assistive Listening Devices) although I donā€™t have the On iN version 2, but that is the latest & greatest offering from Phonak Rogerā€¦ As for warranty, itā€™s something I never check @Baltazard, I have had only 1 Phonak aid fail, in 30 odd years, and that was after several years use, I have plenty back up sets of good aids, so any failures would not greatly impact my hearing lossā€¦ Good Luck, cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

@kevels55 I think Boots & Specsavers hearing both do 4 years warranty, not sure if batteries + servicing/cleaning! are included in the full price.
But, I guess you will have a free follow ups during the warranty period.
Judging from @michael1 's Boots hearing experience, I think theyā€™re a good option.

1 Like

Thanks - I am particularly interested in expertise, and getting the best audiologist. Cost / warranty is not an issue for me.
I am not wedded to Phonak - have just always used them. Reading other posts it sounded as if they were only firm continuing to invest in the profound hearing loss spectrum, which maybe why I am there.
Wasnā€™t sure about using large corporations to source hearing aids, particularly if only for better expense / warranty terms? Feels more likely to be hit and miss in terms of service quality / personal service?
Many thanks - I really appreciate all the input so far and will welcome any more I can get!

1 Like

@geordie If you are after an independent provider, then maybe @Um_bongo can direct you to someone if he knows any, or if you are close to him, maybe worth asking him, as he his (I believe) a hearing care provider based in the UK.

2 Likes

Not my area (geographically).

New Unitron Stride UP. - Released this week, looks the biscuit though. Plus you get tip-top Bluetooth connectivity.
Centrally thereā€™s a cluster on Harley St/New Cavendish St, but I donā€™t really have any knowledge or preference there. If youā€™re commuting in from the edge, thereā€™s possibly a couple Iā€™d be aware of.

3 Likes

Geordie, I had Phonaks SP for years also. When my hearing loss got to the severe profound I couldnā€™t get any clarity, couldnā€™t answer the phone. Life was very frustrating for me.

Have you considered Cochlear Implants for your loss? I ended up going down this track and got a CI. My WRS was 26% itā€™s now 94%, itā€™s the best thing Iā€™ve ever done. Good luck to you.

2 Likes

I think have managed perfectly fine (ish) without a CI so perhaps not got to stage where keen for a changeā€¦ can appreciate that could change in future! Although I do rely on captions where not lipreading. What is WRS? Word recognition score at a guessā€¦?

2 Likes

What does ā€œlooks the biscuitā€ mean?

3 Likes

In this case: ā€˜an ideal choiceā€™.

Chonky power aid with full BT and controllable features.

1 Like

As Deaf Piper says you look like a good candidate for a cochlear implant. I am in the UK. Your audiogram is worse than mine but I asked my GP to be referred for a CI and have been accepted by the NAIP (Nottingham Auditory Implant Program) which is part of NHS and have been going through comprehensive tests and assessments for the past year, now waiting for operation date.

After trying many different HAs and Audiologists I concluded no conventional hearing aid or audiologist can create hearing from nothing. At the all important higher frequencies 100 x zero is still zero, CIs create higher frequency signals for the brain to learn, and reports are very positive by the vast majority who have had them.

Meantime I am getting by with latest Resound Omnias used almost exclusively with the Mulimic which I hold in front of the person speaking to me. Mulimic input works better than normal HA in all situations and is the only way I can have anything approaching a normal conversation.

1 Like

As a postscript to my post above I would strongly recommend that you start the CI process. You can pull out at any stage and by starting the process you are not committing and will learn a lot. There is no assumption that because you start you are committed. I have been very impressed by the thoroughness and professionalism of the whole process.

2 Likes

I would endorse Boots for good service and helpful and what seem like knowledgeable audiologists. I say ā€˜seemā€™ because I have limited experience of audilogy services. My hearing loss is very different to yours - almost normal but significant symptoms that are typical of auditory processing disorder.

I went to the Boots branch in Islington and saw Zainab who was very thorough and ended up with Pnonak Lumiety 90ā€™s and a Roger On in Version 2 that has definitely helped. I had multiple visits and nothing seemed like too much trouble and there was not pressure to buy - the recommendation was that may or may not benefit - which is why the 3 month trial offer is so helpful.

Zainab was very knowlegeable about the product and also interested in my condition. I found some additional research that indicated that the configuration that I ended up with had helped a significant number of people with APD and she wanted details so that she could read and share with colleagues.

And has been indicated, the pricing is also good. I checked out one other independent audiologist and had a phone consultation and didnā€™t think that I got any better advice and the prices were a lot higher.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @RichardCā€¦ I must confess, I know very little about Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) we occasionally have other forum members whom suffer from this disorder, I believe itā€™s extremely rare? Thank you for your input, it would seem, the service you got from Boots Hearing Care, was indeed exemplaryā€¦ I feel fortunate myself, in having a brilliant A.uD at Boots in Inverness, like you, nothing is too much trouble, and my A.uD goes, way above & beyond, to make sure everything is satisfactory! Like your A.uD, she is always willing to learn, which is a massive bonus, if you have a rare conditionā€¦ I cannot fault Boots, on price or indeed service, unfortunately not every branch, will be equal, having said that, it would appear that many of Boots A.uDā€™s do strive for higher idealā€™s, by providing an excellent serviceā€¦ Cheers Kev :smile:

2 Likes