Hearing Aid Prices in Canada from Shop to Shop?

Do retailers/audiologists in Canada set their own prices for aids or are they dictated by manufacturers ?

Is there a way to find out, other than going through the process of shopping each retailer to find out pricing ?

Using Costco Jabra’s and only moderately happy with them and would like to maybe pay a little more and see what I can get.

I’m in Toronto and I just upgraded to Phonak Lumity back in October. If you look at the invoice for my new hearing aids, the hearing aids themselves only make up a part of the bill. There are line items for:

• Hearing aids x 2
  • Charger
  • Receivers x 2
  • Dispensing fee x 2 (i.e. setup and adjustments)
  • 36 month service plan (to cover any adjustments and hardware issues for 36 months).

The audiologist also gave me some discounts on the total so I think the pricing will vary depending on how the audiologist prices new customers, etc.

Jordan

1 Like

Can I ask what you paid for just the aids themselves apart from the rest ? I am interested in the 70’s.

My Widex’s were billed (back in 2016) simply as all-in per hearing aid. There was no itemization, just a price per aid.

They had a 4-year warranty and service was all inclusive for 5 years as I recall.

I have the Lumity L90’s. I think the hearing aid line item was about CDN $3K per hearing aid (doesn’t include receivers and domes). He then gave me an additional discount on the whole package.

I’ll be honest with you. The extra services are worth every penny. My audiologist works really hard to make sure I am getting maximum value from my hearing aids.

Jordan

1 Like

Jordan’s advice is really really good.

I’m in Mississauga, near Toronto airport. I’ve had 3 sets of Phonak hearing aids, supplied by 3 audiologists.

• First audi was incredible. So were the hearing aids she supplied. She sold her business. I was a client for about 4 years.
  • Second audi–I was a client for 8 years. The hearing aids they provided me in year 6 were terrible and never set up right. I couldn’t hear behind me at all and was almost run over at work on construction sites
  • Third audi–he is excellent and has worked so hard to make sure I’m satisfied. He sold me Phonak audeo paradise p90’s before Lumity HA’s were available.

Point is the audiologist is key. You’re already a client of COSTCO. I haven’t been, but my perception is that they have a lower price but the hearing aids are private label. Made to their specification.

But I am just trying to find out if I can afford the Phonak 70’s and thus just want to get an idea of pricing in Canada. I see them in USA for about $1700 each in CAD dollars and wonder if Canadian shops have them at a similar price. I paid 2100 for the Costco pair and could afford to go up to $3400 a pair for the Lumity’s which I am certain would be better than the Jabra’s.

Out on my walk I happened on a shop that basically specializes in Phonak’s and they are selling Lumity 70’s for $5500 the pair. Includes all warranty and services for 3 years. More than I hoped but not too bad. Not much more than I paid for my Widex’s 6 years ago.

2 Likes