Hearing Aid Practitioner employed at Costco…Ask Me Anything!

Hi Clint in KY
Yes, you can get a Clip from Costco…they are dispensing ReSound CALA 8’s, which are equivalent to ReSound Linx2 9’s.
I just picked up my new ReSound CALA 8’s, and could give you my Clip as I’ll never use it - my iPhone is more convenient.
Best Wishes, Floyd

Hi,

Can you confirm that the Brio 2 is the same as the old Phonak V series (Venture) as stated on the Phonak website? When will Costco be accessing the the Phonak B series (Belong platform)?

Costco guy is not here. You can consider this thread closed

ah ok thanks

I can’t believe I finally finished reading all 521 prior posts in this thread. So the OP is gone (forgottheirname), yet there are still Costco related questions that others should be able to answer.

Looking back on the history of the Kirkland Signature line of Aids, it appears that they are on a refresh cycle of 18 months. Is that about right?
If so, that would make the KS8 debut in April 2018.

Way back in post 166 @carol_hawkins_aud posted this:

That really got me to thinking about my first and very recent visit to a Costco HA clinic for testing. I left with a very uneasy feeling and Carol’s words helped me define what I found troublesome. It seems that you are automatically "tied’ to the first person you see. I didn’t like some of the things they did clinically - one ear still hurts from their callousness. I also realized after rereading Carol’s words that there was a major communication gap.

Has anybody changed locations based on staff? Was it an easy process or troublesome?

1 Like

There are a number of people/threads that made changes in their Costco audiologist. But don’t stop there. Inform the person about the injury and your view. If you get heat, each division has a head of hearing aid centers. It seem we all become a bit passive when anything is remotely medical. It took me 4 doctors before I found one that would listen. If it is a multiple fitter site, the easy way is to call the HA clerk and say you want to try the other fitter for your next appointment. If you’re lucky, there might be another Costco in driving distance.

I remember Carol. She was active when I first started on the site. Seemed an excellent fitter with her own clinic. Ohio? Didn’t like Costco much. :slight_smile:

And I’ll add. Don’t worry about offending the person that you’re switching from. Most medical providers understand that they don’t hit it off with everybody. Requests for second opinions are common.

I’m in health - this allows me to look at things from both sides. Here are some examples of what I noticed.

1. They took my one functioning aid out and brought it to the HA clerk. Then they started talking. I had to say I can’t hear you if you take my HAs away. I had to ask for my HA back to hear them.
  2. For the Tympanogram, they left the room and came back with 2 inserts on a Kleenex. One fit the other was too large but they continued the test forcing it up against the smaller ear canal. This leaves me to wonder about their available supplies and infection control.
  3. I actually found myself saying: “I’m sorry but you are not listening to what I’m trying to say.”

The HA clerk was part of my negative experience. They were too busy multitasking with other people behind the counter. Numerous times they would ask a question and deal with something else when I was answering. Then they would ask the question again. Good customer service dictates that the person you are dealing with is what should be most important.

I think I’ll try another location. I’m within 3 miles of 3 stores.

Just an FYI: Costco HA clerks are senior personnel. They are considered promotable. Those that aren’t interested in a line position advancement can opt to HA clerk where they study audiology to take the fitters exam. The fitter I use did this and does good work. The store I go to should be authorized its third booth this year; barely missed it last year. That will start the clerk on getting her HIS license.

Your explanation makes one wonder. I think trying another store is the best move. Probably a visit to both asking questions and then getting an appointment.

Hello i just paid $5000 for a set of Oticon opn 2. I now see online about Costco having equal quality hearing aids. I’m within my 30 day trial period.
2 questions, does Costco have a device equal to my Oticons? I absolutely love the improvement they’ve made
2nd, if so, how long does it take to get the hearung aids? My audiologist had my current ones ready the next day.

Closest would be Bernafon and that is an older model at this time. It is from the same company. The updated aid should show up soon.

They do offer premium aids from other companies – Rexton, Resound, Phonak.

After ordering you should see them delivered in 3-5 days.

Actually, my apologies, my Oticons are “open fit”…Im new to this, they’re “Oticon OPN 2” the device sits behind my ear, with a tube/mic in my canal. Not sure if that makes difference.
Do you think a premium aid from Costco (rexton brand, etc) would be equivalent quality of my Oticon?

Open fit indicates you have a mild-moderate loss. Such a loss would benefit from almost any brand. Aids at Costco would be about half the price. The OPN2 is their medium level aid. Costco aids are Premium grade. Depending on cost:benefit, you might still consider your current aid a value. Aid preferences vary based on a number of factors. Mostly it boils down to personal preference.

Thank you Ken! I really appreciate your help.

Although there’s no equivalent of the OPN line at Costco right now, and the next Bernafon HA to be available is not necessarily equivalent to the OPN, you should try the KS7 from Costco, it may be good enough for you and it’s only $1700 compared to the $5K OPN2. If you like the KS7 as much as you like the OPN2, then it would make economic sense to switch to the KS7 anyway.

Thank you!! I actually wanted the next level opn for $6000…i guess that would be Opn 1? But I couldn’t afford those
Is there a higher quality ks7?
I’m trying to make an appt asap at Costco. The price savings has my attentiom.

There’s only 1 version of the KS7. They don’t make it into multiple tier’ed models like the OPN 1, 2, and 3. Probably because it’s already a very good value at $1700 so it’s not necessary to downgrade the functionality to make it more affordable like what Oticon did to the OPN.

You’re a life saver. Even if I dont go with the ks7, I appreciate your help

Domes VS. Earmolds:

I am due for new aids from the VA. Currently have Naida S ix CRT/ric.
My hearing has worsened in the past 2 or 3 years.
I thought that the Naida V, either SP or UP might be best.

I do not like and will not wear earmolds. I have tried both soft and hard molds.
I cannot tolerate them for more than an hour or two, they are uncomfortable
and painful. Domes are ok, I can wear them all day.

The audi will not order the Naida SP or UP because she says that you
Must wear earmolds with them.
Would the RIC/crt model with power receivers have enough power?

I bought some Naida Q50 SP aids and programmed them myself, to use
as a backup set. I got earhooks and large tubing/domes that work fine with them.

But the (contracted) VA audiologist says that you cannot do that, they will
not/ cannot configure them that way.

Are there other Phonak models with enough power for my severe/profound
loss that will work with either RIC receivers or tubing/domes?

Why would tubing/domes on the SP or UP aids not be acceptable?

She did say that both molds and domes seal the ears,
the earmolds have a vent for less occlusion.