Hearing Aid Batteries Dying Fast in Oticon Opn Play

By fast, I mean like extremely fast. Like within five minutes. It’s in only one hearing aid too!
I have the Oticon Play 2 hearing aids. I just recently got them Monday. The first three or so days were great. I changed the battery once, but it was only because I wanted to see if I remember.
Starting Thursday, I started having issues with the right ear hearing aid. It started dying fast, didn’t pick up sound as well, etc. And today as I’m dealing with it, I open the Oticon app and see that it’s literally draining the whole battery in about ten minutes???
I don’t know what or why this is happening. I can stream and I have messed with that, however, I can only stream through the microphone as far as I know…
I’ve also changed the batteries and changed brands.
Does anyone know what could be happening? System malfunction? User error? I’d really like to know because I’m really worried about them

How are you storing the batteries?

I think you have a bad aid; “infant mortality” in electronics does occasionally happen, and when it does, it usually happens during the initial 100 hours of use. Take them back to your audi for testing and repair.

5 Likes

That must be it. I’ll call in and see what’s up. I was just making sure it wasn’t a common issue as I live two hours away from my audi. Thank you!!

Well, now, this is downright freaky, as I just came to the forum to pose this very question.

In my case, I have Oticon OPN Minirites, coming up on three years old. My experience with fast drop doesn’t happen all the time. But I put in fresh 312 batteries (with an expiration date of 2023) about four hours ago, and now my left is at 50% and my right at 10%. They were both around 50% just half an hour ago. I have not been streaming or doing anything unusual.

This happens from time to time. Even more frequently, I discover a slight drop almost immediately in my left HA – to maybe 90%. That one is programmed to draw more power (sorry…don’t know the tech term, but my left ear hearing is much worse), so maybe that’s why.

I use Kirkland 312s from Costco – have generally had much better luck with them than other brands.

Any clues?

I have OPN1 ITE custom aids and I have had the same issue when I first got my aids, and they had to be repaired. I also have the same issue now at times when I stream a lot and it is mostly my right hearing aid that will kill the battery the fastest. I use to believe it was the batteries but it isn’t. I believe it is that the right hearing aid is the main controlling aid, and it used the most battery doing bluetooth controls, and the communication to the left aid.

My left ear is worse, so I never thought that’d happened. I believe it’s defected, now since I can’t hear anything. I’m going in Monday to get replacements.

I have no clue sadly :frowning: Mine must be defected, as this totally isn’t normal. They should last about a week! I suggest going in. There could be problems with programming or something. And maybe try a different brand of batteries from what I’ve heard.