Hearing Aid Abuse - Salt water submersion

I recently had two solid days of instructing Scouts for a merit badge sailing event.
The boats are 19’ Flying Scots, and we had some strong wind conditions.
Driving home after the first day I realized I’d lost my left side HA. The following morning a took a good look around my boat, and sure enough the HA was found, submerged in 4" of seawater. It was unresponsive. Sea water is very tough on electronics!.
The following day it had charged up and operating normally. Now, several weeks later, it is fine.
Jabra Enhance Pro from Costco. Quite impressive that it survived overnight submersion.

2 Likes

It still may die a premature death. If so, should be covered by warranty. If it continues to do fine, I’d still make sure to send it back before warranty is up as they typically replace with a new hearing aid. My understanding is that it’s advisable for any salt water (or pool water) to rinse with fresh water, preferably distilled.

2 Likes

A buddy of mine fishes regularly in salt water.
He got a pair of older Resound aids wet from spray. One of them failed and the other worked long enough for him to go buy new hearing aids.
I believe those were Quatros that didn’t like the salt water at all.

Electronics and saltwater don’t do well together.

Do you think washing them off with RO or deionized water would be a good idea? Then running them through a hearing aid drier for a cycle or two would help?

Yes, they took a 48 hour soak in RO water to remove any residual salt. No visible signs of corrosion so far.

3 Likes

Rust may become a problem.