Headphones for Hearing Aids

Hello! I have an RIC with vented domes and things sound kinda tinny when I stream some music through it. So I’m planning to get some headphones if it’s somehow possible to wear it with headphones or earbuds. Sure I can take my HAs when I use headphones, but isn’t it kinda annoying to switch between the two back and forth? Im planning to get the Beats Studio 3. What headphones/earbuds do you recommend for me?

I wear RITE aids and i wear my headphones over my aids. It sounds great. I do wear custom ear molds , but i just make sure my aids are in side of the cups of my headphones, no I don’t move my aids from behind my ears.

2 Likes

Does streaming sound better when you put your fingers in your ears? I also have vented domes and it really does for me. I thought of switching between vented and non-vented domes when I want to stream and that does help, but it’s a real fiddle to keep switching the domes. Someone on here suggested getting earplugs and putting them in after putting the hearing aid in the ear canal - I haven’t tried that yet but I’m planning to as I do think it would help! My trouble with over-ear headphones is that I want low-frequency sound to go directly into my ear but high-frequency sound to be amplified, and I don’t have any headphones that are big enough to go over the mic in the part of the aid that goes behind the ear and go over my ear canal. And while earbuds do actually fit in over my aids, the sound from them isn’t amplified as it doesn’t go into the aid mic but directly into my ear.

2 Likes

I had that issue too.

History–The dispensing audi had me switch from vented domes (many holes) to closed domes (2 tiny holes.)

I’m now using Power domes supplied by the Hearing Aid Provider who has replaced the audi.

I find that sports locks on my HA receivers help keep the domes in place.

Bone conduction headphones:

1 Like

I wear good cans over my hearing aids (miniRITE) with a dedicated music program. That’s been the best solution for me.

I had that issue as well, once i got a custom mold, it got much better

I use my Sony noise cancelling headphones over my hearing aids. Mostly it’s ok but occasionally there is a little feedback. If it’s annoying I just turn the volume on the hearing aids to zero.