Have any of you guys bought a hearing aid off eBay?

Gosh - that’s way, way, way below trade price.

Was it a private sale, where the seller didn’t realise the true value?

If it was a commercial sale of some sort, then it’s all a bit odd …

Too true.

I used to post there … but left some months ago.

A truly toxic place.

RonH’s story tells you why someone else’s experience is not that valid unless you happen to know more about them. If you check out the feedback ratings for people who have purchased some total nonsense they are also happy with it! Someone buying their first ever hearing aid and who knows nothing about anything would likely be happy with one that is appallingly programmed. I’ve seen positive feedback for the sale of a second-hand custom in-ear hearing aid. Yes, one built to order to the mould of someone else’s ear. The purchaser was somehow happy to receive a hearing aid that didn’t fit properly in terms of physical size or internal programming. You don’t know enough about people to know if their positive feedback is meaningful.

Sure any large business will probably have a few critics, but the negatives do tend to tell you much more. The occasional package going astray in the mail I will forgive someone for that if they have made 200,000 sales, but you can’t put too much stock into good feedback even if you check up on the person afterwards and ask them how happy they are - they may just not know a reasonable hearing aid from a great hearing aid.

eBay has also refused to remove a few listings I complained about because they are selling NHS hearing aids. The UK NHS does not give people hearing aids, it issues them on loan. Any NHS digital hearing aid for sale is stolen property. Since a rule passed a few years back that people should not live in fear of big charges for lost hearing aids the market for “oops I lost my hearing aids” replacements is taking off. Basically their response is that they were not stolen from me personally so I can’t report them to be stolen. Buyer beware if you are looking at a Siemens Reflex or Phonak Eterna. Thankfully the person who was selling these recently seems to have dried up their supply somewhat.

You don’t trust the audiologist you have met, but you’re willing to buy from a complete stranger?

Yes. Though let’s not talk apples and oranges.

One situation is choosing which hardware is the best fit for your hearing loss at a price within your budget.

The other situation (choice already made) is buying a specific piece of hardware at heavily discounted prices and backed by credit card chargeback rights.

1 Like

How about a specific real life example (approximate discount = 70%) Streamer included:

Sorry, picture got lost.

He was not a dispenser, but he still made me go through the waiver process. If you search for “Resound Dot” you will find an online dispenser selling Dot 30’s for $1185 a pair. He has a substantial amount of these available as well. This isn’t the guy I bought from, but I did have communications with him, and he was helpful.
Dale

I believe the value of hearing aids is similar to the value of a boat when you buyit. The minute you purchase it, the value drops by 50%. Whether new or like new, you will never receive the amount that you paid for the item. With that in mind, a do-it-yourselfer like me can easily justify buying something new / unused for half price.

Hi I live in England and I and 3 of my friends have bought hearing aides on E-Bay in England from a firm in Oldham Manchester her name is Amanda Witter we all bought GN Resounds Dot 30. and we are all very happy with then even the after service when you need some thing alter on them they are there to help you. I have had mine for nearly a year and are well happy with them. I even check out some one on hear saying they had bought them from her sent them to GN Resound in USA and the serieal number did not match I ask Amanda about this and she said becouse they were made in England not USA I hope thats correct I have no reason not to belive what she says is correct. But if your happy with what you get the price is very good only £750.00 for both ears and the after service is good what moor can you want. I would recommened her to any one.

I have severe loss in one ear and moderate-severe in the other due to explosive. I’m also poor and old. After audiologist exam and trip to Costco, I went to ebay. Could not believe differences in prices and took a gamble on 2 aids deal with ebay seller “premium-hearing-aids” and have been really pleased with price and service. The follow-up emails are from Amanda Witter. I assume that’s a real name. Was really surprised that the company is in England (I’m in North Carolina). I thought I had really messed up, but it turns out that “she” is sending me some extra tubes, domes, and tulips free. Her email gave directions on repairs, should that become necessary. In all, couldn’t be happier.

Look at this POST just in case you might be overpaying for technology that is one-generation-back.

I purchased a set of Siemens Pure 700 complete kit with Recharging station, Bluetooth Tek System, everything all for $3200. Just go to HearingAidDocs.com

He was selling them on eBay and I already received everything. Only thing is I have to send them back to him about 2-3 times to have them adjusted until we reach full satisfaction. I also have a 45-day trial and that doesn’t include when the Aids are not in my hands. I received the Aids about 2 weeks ago and just mailed them back to have them go through their first adjustments. So far I’m happy with the service but lets see if we can drill down the programming to my likes. Then I will be happy with the entire purchase.

Let me know if you have any questions. Oh and they are located in Denver, CO and he got the entire package from Siemens in New Jersey since he used the same box to ship me the Aids that came to him from Jersey so I seen the trail of where they came from. I still have yet to mail in my warranty cards which I will do any day now.

We get a good deal on hearing aid batteries from Costco.

I’ve purchased HA batteries on ebay at considerable savings by buying in “bulk.” Just be sure of the expiration dates, frequency of use and if it’s cost effective buying two years worth, or more.

As far as ebay is concerned, I’ve had two good conversations with Phillip in CA and, for me at least, buying from him boils down to what PVC said: deciding to pay a premium for local service. His ebay prices are great, but I have to look at the service I received from my local audi over the past 7-8 years and decide if it’s worth it to go the ebay route. Or even Costco, for that matter. I’ve needed help less than once a year and was given a loaner by my audi. She shipped to Widex and took care of everything. It was clear she has a relationship with the company which benefited me. For example, I was given a free $200 wired crossover when they lost my broken one (worth absolutely nothing) and couldn’t return it per company policy. They probably would’ve done that anyway, but the audi is an advocate.

Costco is around 30 cents a battery, it is very cheap…

Didn’t read all of the replies but I just bought my Siemens Pure 700 online from Precisehearing.com. The service I have received from them is outstanding (no, I don’t work there). Prices are very competitive and they even gave me a $200 discount unsolicited (I never asked why, I just said thank you), included a box of batteries for free and have been very responsive and professional. The program your hearing aid to your latest audiogram and also reimburse you $100 per aid to get a professional fitting. If you order from them, I would order over the phone (not online) as I think you can get a better deal live.

Good luck!

Your “professional” local dispencer is usually uneducated and is a former used car salesman

Here a picture of my Audi… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry, the picture was lost.

Thats not an Audi - its a Chevy!! :p;):rolleyes:

Strange, my first audi in Lake Forest, CA was working on her doctorates degree. My second one was a CA state licensed dispenser for 20+ years … and my current one has her doctorates degree. And when things need fixing or adjusting, they have all been there for me and repairs have all been done and returned within 3 to 4 days. Maybe they just rushed it so they could get their loaners back faster? What I did get from all 3 was service. Why did I change? The first was near my office at the time, not convenient after my changing jobs. The second was close to home, but he passed away, so I had to move on to a third. She is young, extremely competent, does firmware upgrades of the Phonak iCom on request, and cleans the aids every 3 months, replaces the receiver as needed, she gives me full service for my money. She also took care of the insurance end and got me the $5,000 that my wife’s insurance pays towards new aids every 3 years. Actually, she got the money direct to herself so I would not have to lay it out up front. And when the Siemens did not work for me, she swapped them out for the Phonak’s for just the difference in price. She also offered the 30 day California State required by law NO charge trial period and upped that to 60 days on her own providing that I worked with her to try to resolve any issues. So I had 60 days to return at no charge whatever I trialed. She also has a real office that I can go to, not just a mail box address at a UPS store.

That is why a local audi is worth the money to me. I didn’t settle for “they’re ok”, I said I want better and got that and the service to go with them. My hearing is more important to me than “these are good enough”

And one more thing to add on to that … when I didn’t like the Seimens Pures I was trialing, she let me keep them while I also trialed the YES IX’s so that I could compare them side by side. I didn’t have to wonder how the other one sounded, just swapped them out so I could hear one and then the other and then the other again. That made comparing and deciding which was right for me so much easier. I was a first time buyer with her too, although I had gone in there once before to “shop” around, before settling on the second guy. She didn’t hold that against me, didn’t say “Oh, are you going to walk out on me again.” And yes, she remembered me from that 2 1/2 - 3 years previous. Yes, the price is outrageous, but nothing more than elsewhere. But I do feel confident with her, that to me is important.