HA's and glasses

I’m back. I’ve gotten pretty used to the HA’s now, so they don’t seem to make noise as much when my glasses rub against them. Or I’ve learned to ignore it. But the issue I have now is that the glasses seem to push the HA’s further back behind my ears and make the reciever pop out of my ear canal. My audi thought that I needed shorter wires, so I’ve been trying those for the past week. They do seem to fit better in general, but putting my glasses on still makes them pop out of my ears.

I’m wondering if my ears are too small or something. There doesn’t seem to be enough room for the glasses earpiece and the HA to sit comfortably behind my ear. If the glasses sit between the HA and my head, then the HA is right on the edge of the pinna of my ear, which bugs me so I fiddle with it. I have another appt with the audi in a couple weeks, but in the meantime, any thoughts?

I don’t remember if I’ve already said it, but the Ha’s I have are the Starkey NuEar BTE rechargables.

You might want to consider looking at other eyeglass frames. There’s a lot of variety in how substantial the temple/earpiece section of the frame is. I know it’s a pain, but probably a lot easier to tweak the eyeglass frames than the hearing aids. I’m assuming that if you’re wearing BTEs that you have a pretty signifcant hearing loss and that a smaller RIC hearing aid wouldn’t work? Went back and read the other posts and tried to research your hearing aids. From what I can tell, you have RICs which are smaller than BTEs. So, glasses should be closest to the ear and hearing aids should sit on top of the glasses (and on top of the ear, not behind, assuming you really have RICs) Besides looking for different glasses frames, there’s also the option of different hearing aids, but that’s a lot more hassle. Good luck and do keep us posted.

I can’t imagine glasses causing anyone so much consternation… Put some damn ear gear or sweat bands on the aids.

^^^ Now, now! Y’can’t do that cuz then you’d get feedback! Even wearing a damn hat gives me some squeaking if it presses too tight on my aids.

So jcwoman, if I understand your situation correctly, you have BTE aids, receiver in the ear. When you put on a separate pair of glasses over the aids, it may weigh heavily enough to press down on the aids and thereby pull the receivers out of your ears?

I don’t know your eyeglass Rx, but maybe you could try some thinner, lighter frames? Another poster here had some comfort issues with glasses + aids, and my recommendation is to look into something like Silhouette frames. I’m wearing a pair that sits (as best as I can tell) right on my Oticon aids behind my ears. There is no discomfort, the receivers stay put in my ears, and glasses noise has been “gotten used to”.

Glasses go on first, HA’s go on second. No discomfort, no feedback, no noise from the glasses. Easy peezy!

Your understanding of this very complex problem is amazing… You do understand that feedback is the sound generated by the receivers leaking out of your ear which has nothing to do with the part on your ear.

^^^^ Yes, that is true! But I also get feedback when my entire ear is covered (like wearing a winter hat with ear flaps that cover my ears). Perhaps the hat distorts my ear causing the leakage? Anywho, it’s annoying as HECK until I raise the flaps and freeze my ears off.

Feedback is caused by amplified sound escaping your ear canal and going through the receivers again, so yes if you cover your ears with a winter hat with ear flaps you will get it unless your HA’s have a really good cancellation ability.

Do you have some kind of learning disability?

In the 6 years I have had HA - never paid attention to relationship of various eyeglass frames to HA equipment. Sitting here at computer, it appears frames are against head with HA on top and outside of glass frames. Never had feedback.

w
Wearing resound Quatro’s and glasses in a metal frame causes lots of noise when the frame is moving or touched. Thought about insulation, some little pouch around the HA’s.

I have the same issue. I believe there are neoprene eyeglass retainers on the market. I have been thinking about just cutting off the part that slides over the legs of the glasses, and using that to cushion the aids from the glasses.

I bought some neoprene eyeglass retainers at the dollar store. The good news is they do seem to work. I just cut off and used the retaining portion. The retaining portion was made by simply sewing the band together, so it leaves a significant ridge where the two edges are sewn kind of flange like. It would be nicer if they were just round, and also thinner. They do add a bit of bulk to the eyeglass legs. But, they do seem to work. Now if I can just find some that are not Hot Pink!

Splendid idea! .:nerd_face:
Thank you.

I use Oakley frames with straight temples. They stay put and don’t interfere with my aids.

1 Like

Bought these: Koord 16 | Praktische Schnur für Ihre Lesebrille | Eyelids Lesebrillen
Rubbertubes, make contactsounds less sharper.
But i wonder wether improving construction of the HA themself, insulating the microphone from the shel would give results. Would also decrease wind sound.

And even better, using these for some time:
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/fako-bijoux-anti-slip-oorstrips-brilbevestiger-siliconen-zwart/9200000108582519/?referrer=socialshare_pdp_www