Hands free calling

Does anyone here has good experiences with hands free calling? I’ve tried hands free calling with Reals, Omnia’s and Lumity’s.

People never understand me. The feedback I get that there is a lot of environment noise, the sound is tinny etc. I always fall back on the iPhone microphone. Does anyone actually get good calls hand-free?

1 Like

I can only use my hearing aids for cell phone calls in a quiet environment for the reasons you stated. The hearing aid microphones pick up any (and all) background noise and make it unbearable for the other party to listen to. The cell phone microphones do a great job of filtering out the background noise.

John L.

1 Like

Ah, thank you! I was doubting myself - good to hear that I’m not the only one.

1 Like

Android Pixel 6, with Phonak (1 link, 1, CI).

I use hands-free all the time. It works really well. I always ask the person on the other end if they can hear me okay.

Obviously, quiet situations work well. I’ve found even wind is okay, if not too strong. Noisy environments can be a problem, but are workable if need be (for example, a quick call you have to make).

Good luck!

1 Like

I found this out.

I have Marvel and Paradise.

My Oticons are not handsfree.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can hear for yourself how you sound, by calling Skype’s Echo/Sound Test Service. It prompts you to record a message, and then plays it back.

5 Likes

Press3 times on off button of the iphone and a screen will appear. Switched the “Balanced Noise” volume to zero. Maybe this will lower the back ground noise to the caller.

1 Like

Hit or miss for me with Jabra Pro 10s. People can usually hear me OK. Sometimes the volume is too low for me to hear them. Phone is a Samsung S20 5G. USPS says I’ll receive an iphone SE today, which I bought because the Jabra/ReSound app on my Android phone is simply too damned flaky.

2 Likes

Another goody is Loopback Test:
952-259-0082.
When you call you’ll only hear your voice in real-time talking back to you.
Best quick check for x-mit &receive.

3 Likes

To answer the original question: yes indeed.

I guess it depends on your phone/HAs setup.

Mine works superbly in a range of environments and has greatly enhanced my social interaction: Samsung Galaxy A5 with classic Bluetooth / Phonak Paradise P90Rs.

1 Like

I use it frequently and always ask if it’s coming through okay. Always is, even when I’m on my bike.

I have Phonak Paradise P90 HA’s and a Samsung S21 and am extremely satisfied with how my hands-free calling performs. Great quality on my end and same to people on the other end. I get about 15ft to 30ft of range from the phone depending on walls in between.

My wife has Phonak Lumity HA’s and an iPhone SE2020 and is equally satisfied with the hands-free performance as I am.

1 Like

Tried it both on the Jabra 9, which I returned and the Jabra 10 mini. In both cases callers said that I sounded like i was talking as if i were in a tunnel. The iPhone mike works well.

I spoke to someone yesterday no problem Philips 9040. The room I spoke from was very quiet though.

1 Like

I guess I am really lucky. I have the Paradise CROS aids so I can only hear the phone in one ear but the volume is great. People say they would never know I am using a hearing aid. My phone is a MOTO G Power. Seems like most of the complaints are from iPhone users.

I use the hands free function on my Starkey Evolv RIC devices and it works fine for me and the people I talk to.

Similar here on Phonak nadia M70, I had hoped could use for teams calls in office, save taking out aids and putting on headset but they pic up to much noise from rest of office, same if walking down road, traffic noise is to much and need to increase volume to hear then and other callers are hearing background noise.
Had Resound Quattro’s to and they used the mic on iphone, my worked so well, should be an option to do this on Phonak some how.

What’s the issue?

I use both my M70 and P70 for Teams calls. Connect directly.

1 Like

They connect to laptop for teams and any other Bluetooth device, its more how the mics on aids pick up back ground noise, I have replied on another thread and you had to and need to get an appointment with audiologist to get volume of mic reduced i think it was but not sure if will help if i can ever get an appointment. I guess its a drawback of hands free calls. It would be good if had option for noisy places to switch to mic on phone or laptop.
I guess more expensive hearing aids may have better noise cancellation on the hearing aid mics?

@leerich2004

No one I speak too, has issues with background noise even with my P70 after finding this out.

1 Like