Hal-Hen Super Dri-Aid

Does anyone on this forum use the Hal-Hen Super Dri-Aid, and if so, how long does a jar usually last for you? I live in a really dry climate - not quite desert-like, but with very low humidity - and I take my aids out whenever I exercise, don’t wear them in the rain or shower, and generally don’t have a problem with excess ear wax. But I’m finding the jar is only lasting 6 months before needing replacement. The pellets that come with the jar are to be “rejuvenated” once their absorption level decreases. I’ve followed the microwave rejuvenation directions exactly two separate times now, and while the pellets do change back to their original blue (absorptive) state, they only stay blue for about half an hour, and seem to fade (indicating a lack of absorptive ability) as soon as I put them back in the jar. I’ve been letting them cool off completely before returning them to the jar.

My original jar, which I used for 18 months with only 1 hearing aid, was replaced back in June of this year, because despite my following the microwave directions, I just couldn’t get the pellets to rejuvenate even one time. As of two days ago, the pellets in the new jar were showing a need for rejuvenation, which means the current jar has lasted only 7 months with two hearing aids. Their website claims that a user should be able to get several years of use from one jar, but that certainly hasn’t been my experience. Thoughts? My microwave is new and is of decent quality. It cooks all other foods in the appropriate amount of time, so I’ve ruled out a problem with it. I wrote to Hal-Hen to see if they can offer any suggestions, but thought I’d also ask here.

Can someone recommend another good option for a dry store container? I’d prefer to use something that doesn’t require electricity, but am open to the fact that a unit which plugs in might be my best bet. Thanks in advance!

Kerry

I use the Sta-Dri can which sounds the same except the desiccant is pink. ($10 Amazon) I’d had it for several years when a spot overheated and loosed the granules Got it overheated somehow. So, I replaced it. I put the canister back in after a minute or so when its has cooled a bit.

Was still working fine when the canister melted.

After writing to Hal Hen to ask what I’m doing wrong, I got a very personal response in the form of a phone call from their head office a few days ago. In case anyone else uses this brand of dry jar, here’s what I was told:

-When the coloured balls lose their colour, it’s time to rejuvenate them.

-Place all of the balls (dessicant) in the microwave on a pyrex dish and microwave them for 30-60 seconds at 50% power. (DO NOT microwave the balls while still in the jar. Use a separate, microwave safe glass dish.) The instructions that come with them say to microwave them in 30 second increments, but the Hal Hen customer rep said 30-60 seconds is fine, as long as it’s only at 50% power.

-He said that you can keep microwaving them until the bright blue balls stay blue. Mine were fading after they were cooling off. So he told me that I needed to microwave them several times in short increments until the bright blue colour reappeared. He said some people he’s spoken with have had to microwave them for up to 15 minutes, all in 30-60 second increments. I had to put mine in the microwave for a total of 9 to 10 minutes, but now the blue colour has been restored, so hopefully the jar is doing its job again.

I live in a really dry climate and don’t have much ear wax, so I’m not sure why I’m needing to rejuvenate my dry aid dessicant so frequently, but I am. At least now I know how to do it.

The gentleman I spoke with from Hal Hen was extremely helpful and gave me his direct line to contact him again if I had any questions. I’m quite pleased with the service I received. Now I’m going to give my audiologist his instructions, as she had no idea that the dessicant may need to be microwaved more than once or twice; hence the reason we replaced my last jar a few months ago.

I hope this can help someone else!

Kerry

3 Likes

I just received a jar of Super Dri-Aid pellets. The jar is mostly white pellets with a few blue pellets.
When using the jar I have been putting the aids in on top of the foam and then replacing the top of the jar. Is that correct?
Reading the prior conversation i am getting the impression that the pellets should be mostly blue. If that is true I should be rejuvenating the new jar.
Any help will be appreciated.

I use them too. Have for many years. The few blue are the only ones that should be blue. When they fade, time to rejuvenate. I use a glass pyrex dish, in the oven until the few blue are bright blue again. Then cool in a covered container (so moisture doesn’t get in them while cooling), before putting back in glass jar. Yes, lid goes back on right away after hearing aids put back in. I put them into the Hal-Hen jar every night and during the day if I take my hearing aids out, like for a shower. It’s where they live when I am not wearing them.

1 Like

After reading this it sure seems the Dry & Store is much simpler and probably does a much better job. Initial cost is a bit more though.

Thank you Gayle. One final question please. I open the battery door but have kept the batteries with the aids when I place them into the jar. Is that harmful?
An observation … The instructions for this product are non existent.

The instructions are on the outside of my Hal-Hen jar. They say to remove the batteries first before putting hearing aids in jar. I tried to copy the instructions for you and will send a copy once I have time… right now I’m a bit rushed.

I found Hal-Hen instructions online so will copy them here. Please note that in the oven 1/2 hr is not needed. Mine only take 15 minutes. And then, again, be sure to cover while cooling or they will suck in moisture from the air before you get them back in the jar.
Top of my jar says to take batteries out before putting hearing aids in jar.

"DIRECTIONS FOR REACTIVATING SUPER DRI-AID BEADS:

1. Before retiring for the night, clean your hearing aids (and ear molds if you
    have them) with AudioWipes™ cleaning wipes
  2. Open battery doors
  3. Place the hearing aids inside the jar on top of the beads
  4. Replace the lid and close tightly
    NOTE:
    When all the blue “indicator” pellets turn white, it is time to reactivate. Normally
    each reactivation will last between 3 to 4 months, depending upon humidity.
    Note that the beads are hot after recharge, so allow for ample time to cool.
    TO REACTIVATE IN MICROWAVE
    Place all of the beads onto a Pyrex dish, insert the dish into the microwave and
    heat for 30 seconds on medium. Repeat until pellets have returned to blue
    color.
    Then allow for time to cool.
    TO REACTIVATE IN CONVENTIONAL OVEN
    Place all of the beads onto a Pyrex dish and then place the dish in oven
    preheated to 350 degrees and bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Bake at
    additional 10 minute intervals until pellets have returned to blue color.
    Then allow for time to cool."

I had my first Hal-Hen Dri-Aid jar for 7 years before I replaced it because I couldn’t read the outside instructions, they had worn off. The beads were still working fine!

Gayle, I thank you for tacking the time out to answer my concerns about this product. The jar I have has none of the instructions you mentioned. It also has few blue beads and all whites. I was under the impression that the whites would turn blue until you saved the day.
Thanks for your generous help
John

You are very welcome! Happy to help.