Had unilateral loss but now have some loss on both sides

Hi all, I would like to tell you about my hearing loss. I have had a severe unilateral high frequency loss since at least kindergarten when it was discovered at the school hearing screening. At that time, there was no hearing aid that would work, and I didn’t think much of it. I had some speech therapy for a lisp, but other than that I had nothing special for it. The rest of my hearing was normal.
I first tried a hearing aid about 15 years ago, and used it on and off, mostly on the job (I’m a teacher).

I’m now 51 years old. Today I had an audiogram done, and I now have some mild low frequency loss on both sides. Also, I have some mild high frequency loss in my good side. My severe unilateral high frequency loss is now severe to profound. It’s been like that for a long time. At this point, I still have normal hearing in the middle frequencies, but the lows and highs are getting more difficult to catch. So, I ordered a pair of Oticon Own 1 IIC hearing aids. I am really excited about this and can’t wait for them to arrive!! I don’t really think that the student caused all this to happen. I think it was bound to happen and was already happening. I do wonder if I will stay with this current loss for a long time, or how it will progress. But, I can’t wait to get a couple of tiny hearing aids and hear better. Can anyone relate to any of this??

2 Likes