Grind new molds or re-order

A week back I accepted new silicone molds from my Audi that are very uncomfortable. The outer ridge of both my ears hurt after aids have been in place for several hours. My Audi says she can grind soft molds down, but I’m wondering if I’m better off ordering new molds? I believe new molds were made at Starkey. Anyone have any luck with silicone molds worked on/grinded down that then fit perfectly? Or is easier said then done?

Soft silicone is very difficult to sand or shape, at least the sets I have had.

1 Like

If it’s micro flex silicone you can burn it with a gas lighter and remove the ash edge with a wet-wipe though.

The benefit if doing this is that you don’t leave an abraded finish and it removes material in a fairly level profile. If the mould is way too big then you can trim with sharp side edge cutters and then burn the residue off the cut face using the same method.

5 Likes

Never considered burning the silicone.
Makes since, thanks.

Whatever molds you get it seems they always need a little work. I use acrylic skeleton molds and they always need some grinding. It just takes a week or two to find out where they irritate you.

I have never had silicone, so can’t comment on the burning idea.

1 Like

She could try grinding them and if it doesn’t work, the manufacturer should be able to make them at no charge, under a warranty, as long as it hasn’t been too far out.

I had a somewhat unusual situation with my Naida P UP BTE silicon molds, on first fit the molds were perfect, or so I thought, anyhow after a couple of weeks, gradually my left ear started “Gouping” a good Scottish word, meaning “very painful”… To such an extent, I was struggling to use the left aid, I was due a follow-up visit to the AuD, so I waited a few days, upon her examination, she said my ear was inflamed, told me to leave the aid out for a few days, once my left ear had settled, use an old BTE mold temporary until she could send my one off to get a new one made, she marked the mold with a red ink marker, to indicate to Starkey exactly where it was too tight, made another impression a few days later once the swelling had gone down… At the time, I said it would be fairly easy for me to sand down the mold, a bit at a time, till I got a snug fit, I have done this many times over the years with ill-fitting NHS molds, AuD said no, I get a new mold! Fair enough I said… New mold comes back, well thats not quite true, what came back was the old mold sanded down, in the Aud’s office I never examined it closely as it was now in my ear :rofl: got home, and it started whistling and a few expletives later I took it out, I could see the red ink through the mold where my AuD had marked it, they had sanded it, but unfortunately they took too much off, and I am now whistling Dixie :rofl: :upside_down_face: :joy: Fortunately for me I had taken a photo of the mold prior to it being sent off, so I took another showing what I had been given, sent both in an email today… I am awaiting a reply from my Aud with interest :wink: