Google is using AI to build personalised Assistive Hearing Devices

Don’t think has been posted yet?
Sorry if it has.

2 Likes

First time in this Forum! Thanks!

I’ve seen it before. My take then was that Alphabet was just spreading some money around in a sort of non-directed support-local-science-projects kind of way. Hopefully I was wrong and it’s a bit more than that. I’ve hit a paywall with Wired, so I can’t read it again. Alphabet had their own in-house project along these lines (Project Wolverine) that seems to have sunk without a trace.

Edit: According to Google's moonshot factory is coming down to Earth, Wolverine was spun off in 2022. So many new players in this space it makes your head spin.

2 Likes

It was spun off into this.

The computing power is certainly impressive and especially the process size (4nm) To borrow the old quote attributed to Yogi Berra “Predictions are hard, especially about the future,” but it seems feasible that at sometime in the future hearing aids might use generic hardware and the differentiation would be all about the software. If that happens, some forum members will really scream about pricing.

If you can, try Bypass Paywalls Clean extension for firefox/chrome.

2 Likes

Thanks @flashb1024. Now that we’re all enabled, here’s a paywalled article about iyo. Iyo, the Startup From Google X, Challenges High-End Audio Devices

1 Like

Those devices look weird as fuck. I can’t wait for this market being disrupted as it’s getting more stagnant with each year.
My 6k$ hearing devices shouldn’t be worse for streaming/music than my 100$ earbuds, there’s no technological reason for that.
There are mics on the market, which can completely eliminate noise and just leave the nearby voices, quite naturally at that…
Hearing devices are seriously lagging behind.

3 Likes

They don’t look very comfortable either. Is that battery or processing power in all that hardware?

I think disruption is happening right now in slo-mo. People tend to roll their eyes at the otc hearing aid space. It hasn’t been a tsunami but I think there’s a rising tide of innovation. Check back again in a couple of years I guess.

I dunno? With all the body piercing goin’ on these days, that might just look like some cool earrings!
Just sayin’ :sunglasses:

The disk outside is a small computer [closer to a one in a smartphone than in hearing device, it’s detachable], I doubt that it’s light enough to not to cause discomfort with prolonged wear. The part inside the ear is custom molded so it should be quite comfortable,

I’ve said it’s a shame apple wasn’t interested in hearing aids.

@Zeeza

Thanks for posting this.

DaveL
Toronto

2 Likes