Good reason to replace domes regularly

As a hearing aid newbie, I am discovering new things every day. The latest discovery is that replacing the domes (which I get free from Costco as often as I want) is a good idea to prevent the HAs from MOVING in my ear canls when I am doing things physically.

It appears that even though my domes only rarely show any visible wax particles on them, they are nevertheless apparently getting a wax layer on them with repeated use. I have found that after wearing the same domes for multiple days, somewhere between 7 and 14 days, they start to “slip” slightly out of position.

Because I have the “3rd microphone” option (no extra cost at Costco) on my Jabra Enhance Pro 20 HAs, when the domes slip a bit out of proper position in the ear canals, this allows some sound leakage and that causes audible feedback. Pushing them back into proper position eliminates the feedback, proving that the slippage is the cause. Because of the specific somewhat different shape of my left ear canal versus my right ear canal, the left HA is much more prone to the slippage, whereas it is rare on the right HA.

When this slippage starts to occur, replacing the domes completely eliminates this issue.

Of course, this is also a good time to replace the wax rings (also free from Costco as often as I want) while the domes are off.

Jim G

4 Likes

Thanks for posting! Here’s my experience in case it helps

My dispensing Audi left open domes on my new HA’s when he fitted them.

One day had stuck my index fingers in my ears. HA volume was much louder. Sound was going out of my ears

Recommendation here was to go to closed domes. (Better seal if sized right). They have 2small holes

I like your suggestion to change them more frequently.

1 Like

My domes are power domes, with dual cones, so they seal really well when inserted far enough and STAY there when not “waxed”!

Jim G

1 Like

Have you tried brushing off the domes after taking them out of the dryer box? Wax is flakier and easier to remove then, at least with a regular dryer. Don’t know about cooler dryers for rechargeables.

1 Like

The wax layer is not visible. It must be very thin. Besides, Costoco gives me new domes free as often as I want, so easier to just replace them when needed.

Jim G

I wear double dome “power domes” that also slip out of my ear canal allllllll day long. While nothing is perfect, I find improved grip if I remove the dome and wash them in warm soapy water. I dry them REALLY good and then put them back on the speaker matchstick.

I’ve also used AudioWipes which removes some of the slippery wax coating.

1 Like

Thx for this comment. I, too, have had the experience of hearing better when I push the HAs slightly. I have single closed domes. I’ll inquire about a better solution.

2 Likes

You’re welcome

Little 5 cent piece can really degrade my hearing aid experience. Size is important. So is the design.

My audi had advised me to leave them in a long time. I’ve posted about having one stay in my ear when I removed my hearing aids. Response was really helpful.

So I had several concerns.

• comfort (power dome felt awful. I stopped using them.) (old audi didn’t explain why i needed them.)
  • feedback (either too much gain or the darn dome wasn’t sealing. Went from open to closed domes. Better seal)
  • volume. Gain had been increased by previous audi. But the wrong dome was being used; finger in the ear and louder signal was my clue. Got help here on the forum)

I had issues with domes staying put. For the last several years, I have had custom molds & problem solved. Well worth the cost.

1 Like