GN Resound ONE - Looking for user feedback

Hey all, I work for an independent audiology clinic and I’m considering fitting more GN resounds ONE devices. I’d really appreciate hearing from real users as to what your experiences have been - what do you like about them? What has been disappointing? Also please let me know whether your hearing aids were fitted with Real Ear Measures or not as part of your responses.

Thanks in advance for your feedback - it is invaluable!

Kind regards,

Louie

1 Like

Couple of thoughts. 1)If you’re looking for general discussion on Resound One, do a quick search (magnifying glass, upper right corner of page) for Resound One and you’ll find lots of discussion 2) If you’ve got specific questions like whether REM was used, there’s a create a poll option when you create a post. Click on the last icon (asterisk or star?) and then click on “Build Poll”
My general take of what I’ve read here is that most are happy with them, but the MRIE receivers are more hype than help for many people.

2 Likes

Thanks MDB. I have read existing forums, as you mentioned. However, I believe REMs are crucial to a successful fitting for most people, so I’d like to correlate responses with REM status, rather than have 2 independent data points. I.e. a poll is of little use to me unless I also know what the feedback is from those who have been properly fitted (I.e. had REMs done).

I appreciate your take that M&RIE is more hype than help. That’s an important insight.

So I use the jabra HA, which are the same as the resound one 9s, but from Costco. I had rem done, although I’ve also done adjusting myself.

As to the m&rie, I think it’s awesome. Thankfully I can still use it - but comparing between programs with it on and off, using it sounds much better for me. The only negative I have is that whenever it streams it turns off the m&rie and changes to a specific streaming program that I don’t like and have found no way to adjust in smart fit. If I’m on a webpage with a video, I can hear it switch over)or any program that triggers it, whether it is playing sounds or not… I am living with it just don’t like it. Wish it had more control.

Edited to add - forgot the one feature that clinched it for me - wind noise reduction. If I am in an m&rie program I can be in as much wind as possible and it sounds like wind. However, without m&rie it’s just fair - about as good as the philips I had previously (9030)

Otoh - I’d suggest to a user to get the jabra from Costco for 1/3 the price. Nothing personal, just the way pricing is right now.

3 Likes

Brilliant! Thank you so much for your feedback. Im glad it’s working well for you. I too was incredibly impressed with the wind noise management of the M&RIE.

As for maintaining M&RIE when streaming, have you tried creating a M&RIE only program (add the program titled M&RIE)? Try switching to this program while streaming, rather than being in default program. It might work. I can test this in the clinic tomorrow and let you know if I have success.

Yes - my all around is setup for m&rie but when the phone streams it changes to a program that I do not seem to have access to. The ios app just says I am still in all around but it says streaming on top. In smart fit there are no settings you can change other than bass boost, and mic relative to stream…

Am using the Resound ONE 9 with the remote and TV Streamer. this is the best Aid I have used as it has an inear microphone. I can actually hear exactly where the sound is coming from, but not cheap

1 Like

I recently got a pair after trialing the Jabra’s. I like the aids now that I had some custom molds made. I self program so no REM, but I didn’t like my Jabra’s after REM, and even after multiple follow-up adjustments. Now after some self adjustments I have them sounding really good. The molds made so much of an improvement its like they are totally different aids. Speech comprehension is much improved and I am even hearing birds chirping for the first time in years. I have the rechargeable and love the long battery life. I don’t like the All Around program in certain situations as the directionality changes and is bothersome to me, but I do find the All Around useful in some situations but have fine tuned my Restaurant program to my liking, if I had to pick only one program to use, that would be it. I hate the bad BT streaming connection issues since Android 12 released. Love the TV Streamer. Just got a Phhone Clip+ to hopefully help with Android streaming issues.
And one thing I noticed is the Jabra and Resound may be the same aid, but i dont belive the receivers are. I may be wrong but even the connection from the receiver to the aid seemed different?

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. Custom moulds can really make a significant difference, especially for larger hearing losses. I’m glad you found a great solution. BT stability seems to be pretty average with most manufacturers unfortunately. I swear these days I spend more time as tech support for BT issues than I spend being and audiologist. Did the phone clip improve stability?

1 Like

That’s great! Thanks for sharing your feedback - it’s immensely valuable. Improved localisation seems to be pretty consistent feedback with the M&RIE receiver a.k.a the inear microphone. I’m glad it’s working well for you. How many hearing aids have you owned in the past and what brand was your last pair?

1 Like

Hello,

Resound ONE 9 user, without MRIE. Fitting was done without REM.

I have to say that my audiologist was unable to fit them to my liking. There were two major issues:

• “Echoey” quality of sound, which I later learnt it was due to comb filtering. I described that to my audi as “if I was hearing road traffic through a long PVC pipe”.
  • Crackling voices on speech in noise. This was a showstopper for me.

No matter what my audi tried, I always ended up hearing these two artifacts.

Tired of the inefficiency of that workflow (ie: “book an appointment, wait a week, fit in office for 30 min, go to a restaurant, hear the crackling noise again, and book an appointment for the next week”), I decided to go DIY and bought myself a Noahlink wireless. I figured the comb filtering thing, I did a reset and I finally enjoyed the wonders of the Resound ONE. I has to say, they offer great sound quality and I have zero feedback issues even with open domes.

I go all the time in the Restaurant program.

I noticed an increased wax buildup compared to my previous phonak HA, but that could be due to me ageing and my wax becoming thicker… who knows…

I would like to try the MRIE receivers as well, but I’m afraid they won’t fit into my ludicrously narrow ear canal.

Also, I bought a Phone Clip, but I don’t use it that much, since with open domes I can’t get good amplification, and nobody hears me well me when I hold a phone call using the clip microphone in a noisy ambient.

For your statistics: 34yo male, mostly working from home and the occasional hangouts at restaurants and parties. I don’t ever bother to put my HA when I go to the gym.

I hope this helps!

3 Likes

I will let you know when I receive it. It was supposed to arrive the day I posted but appears to be lost in USPS quagmire for now

So just resetting the devices remedied the comb-filter effect. Or did you do something else to resolve that issue? Yes, both the small canal and the open fit are both contraindications to a M&RIE, unfortunately.

1 Like

Resetting and fitting from zero remedied the crackling noise. I don’t really know why, but I’m really glad it did.

Comb-filter was remedied by me turning off all the gain handles on low frequencies at all gain levels (I had to expand the number of gain handles in order to do so).

Unfortunately, I have very narrow canals but was fitted with these when I went to get replacement hearing aids. I am sure she was aware of this as both my last h.a. Had custom molds. I have not received them yet; would you recommend that I refuse then or trial them?

I have small ear canals and the M&RIE in custom molds. I love the M&RIE. I am on my 3rd try for the ear mold on my Right ear. I’m not a huge fan of silicon ear molds.

It’s up to you. If you have the time and energy to trial them and potentially return/exchange them if it doesn’t work out then I say why not give it a shot. Most clinics should have a return period. Good luck and let me know how you go