GN launching a Jabra branded M&RIE product at Costco

Dear DLCPhoto
Not sure what was going on with your Jabra aids, but for what it’s worth I’m using Jabras to stream books on tape. Phone in shorts pocket, no problem: phone in another room, no problem; phone 25 feet away. no problem. I use an iPhone 12 mini, so maybe it’s a phone issue. No problems with the app either. which I find much better than the Phillips app. I have both the Phillips aids and the Jabras.

2 Likes

Glad it’s working well for you, and it could very well be an Android vs iPhone thing. I have seen posts from others (Android as well, IIRC) who were experiencing the same problems I was.

As I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if this gets fixed with future firmware (or App) updates, but I decided I couldn’t just keep them hoping for that to happen.

I am a new HA user just approaching 2 weeks with my Jabras, but streaming from my Galaxy S10+ has been solid so far. I walk about an hour every morning and since getting my Jabras I stream Amazon Music while I walk. I keep my phone in my pocket while I walk and it streams without problems. At home, I keep the phone out somewhere, and it streams fine if I am in the same room. I would guess the bluetooth range is at least 20 ft line of sight, but less through walls. I had one occurrence where sound from my right aid started cutting in and out at the start of my walk. I took the phone out of my pocket and moved it up closer to the aids, but that didn’t help. I then turned the aids off and then back on, and that seemed to fix the issue. I don’t think it was a bluetooth issue, but something with the aids themselves. Something I will keep an eye on.

I don’t have a complaint with the streaming quality. I use the music program with bass boost and streaming focus. It certainly is not in the same class as my home theater system, but I find it enjoyable. The sound is clean and the lyrics are exceptionally clear. Actually it is better than I expected from such tiny speakers.

Anyway, just my experience so far.

1 Like

I know that the jabras say they are designed for iphone (mfi) so I might wonder if android is just not as good with them?

I tried the Jabras streaming music from my Android phone (Pixel 4a) and from an iPad Pro and, in terms of sound quality, they seemed pretty much the same. I couldn’t speak to connection stability differences with iOS and Android devices. Sound quality is pretty subjective. In terms of connection stability, reports are all over the map across device manufacturers, iOS vs Android, and even between two users of the same device with what seem to very similar phones. Hard to make sense of.

2 Likes

I’ve had the Jabra’s for just over a week. They are my 3rd pair of Resound HAs. I hate the sound of them when streaming. I can’t figure out why there wouldn’t be an entirely separate program just for streaming. After all, that is the only time 100% of the sound is coming from the device. I’m gonna want a different EQ in that situation.

Anyhow, do any of the other brands offer that - the ability to run a totally different program that is unique to whenever the HAs are streaming from my phone?

Hey try this post,I think you’ll find a bit more information about this, it’s a ReSound post but it’ll apply to your Jabra HAs, The Jabra App is pretty much the same as ReSounds App

1 Like

I trialed the Jabras, and I now have the KS10s (Phonak Paradise). The KS10s automatically switch to a separate streaming program. There are two shown in Target for Bluetooth streaming - “Streamed speech + mic” and “Streamed music + mic”. In Target, the gain profiles for each can be adjusted. (I assume the “Automatic” program is deciding if what’s streaming is speech or music). In the EasyLine app on my Pixel 5a (Android), the aids automatically switch the program to “Bluetooth streaming + mic 2”. That program has a cross-fader that lets you choose how the KS10s mix hearing aid microphone input with Bluetooth input. !00% hearing aid mic to 100% Bluetooth audio.

1 Like

One of my m&ries had a white plug in the hole below the wire and the other did not. I touched the plug and it came out easily, does anyone know if these are supposed to be worn or if they are removed at fitting time? I will ping my fitter tomorrow, but I don’t have spares and there is nothing I can find in the documentation.

As an update, my fitter sent a new program today that uses the in ear mic for focus and I believe that I am getting feedback. It’s hard to explain the sound but essentially some sounds and voices have a distorted noise with them like a loud pshhh as if you rub your finger on the outside mics. It only happens on my left (worse) ear which has much stronger programming. It stops if I turn down the volume (obviously).

Is this what classifies as feedback in this situation? I know feedback from PA systems, guitars, etc. This is more of a possible amplification loop (but it does not repeat).

Those white plugs are mic filters. They are replaceable, similar to a wax guard.

They come on a stick with the filter on one end, and a two pronged “fork” on the other. You slide the fork under the old filter to lift it off. Then stick the new filter in the hole and twist the stick to detach it from the filter.

I watched a video of the process on the ReSound One website.

I know my Costco knows about them and has ordered them, but I haven’t been back to pick any up yet.

https://pro.resound.com/en/products/support-materials/one-support

The noise you are describing is similar to the noise I’d get, also in my worse left ear. It’s not the traditional feedback noise, but an issue nonetheless. Once we found the right combination of receiver wire length and dome type and size, and reran feedback calibration, the noise went away.

1 Like

Also, regarding the feedback, the resound smart fit program (the HIS one not the ios app) has a calibrate that can look for feedback and make adjustments. It’s quick and works very well.

I have the same thing with my Right aid but not left one… We did a new impression and I’m waiting for the new ear mold to come in. Ask about getting a new mold.

We run run the calibration each time but for whatever reason it doesn’t deal with this issue.

The videos were helpful, I will continue to work with my fitter to see if we can fix this. I am wearing tulip domes.

After filing the paperwork, Costco reimbursed the $270, replaced my Resound Fortes and the replacements are under warranty for the rest of the original 5 year term. My original Fortes were lost and replaced free by Costco after 2.5 years, and now they have replaced my replacements. So, by purchasing my HAs at Costco on my Costco credit card I got a 5 year warranty and 2 replacements, so far.

I have since purchased a set of Resound Keys through TruHearing for a comparable price. They had a hearing aid shop real close to me, that I respect, as a vendor. I did have to pay an additional $75 out of pocket for the initial visit. Also, after 1 year I will have to pay $65 per visit to the HA shop.

The Keys are rechargeable and built off the “Quattro platform”. They work really well and the HA guy did a very good job of programming and fitting. The cost was only a little more than my insurance deductible.

That being said, I do have some regrets about not paying an extra $1000 to $1500 for a set of the latest tech premium HAs.

I like Tru Hearing because they have a price list for the hundreds of HAs of all the major brands that they offer, so thanks for the tip.

1 Like

I totally could be losing my mind - but I have checked all of my battery packages and I’m pretty sure my Jabra with size 13 batteries have been going fine on this first set of batteries for 17 days. I truly don’t recall changing them. That’s astounding.

Just thought I’d report.

I can believe it. I get a full week out of my little 312 batteries in my Jabras, with 1-2 hours a day of streaming and full 16 hour days. Amazing to me as most HA’s give you 3-4 days on the 312 batteries.

I went from 312s to 13s. Wow! I’m amazed. Used to get 6 days max. Now 2 weeks+

I always liked aids with size 13 batteries.

1 Like

13’s okay Rick…. But, if given the choice 675’s IMO, are better, although I stream a lot, I am getting nearly 2 weeks out of my Paradise BTE UP’s…… Funny enough, at the moment I am using a mismatch, Marvel RIC in my bad ear, and Paradise BTE in my right ear, my left mould has never been correctly fitting, on the BTE, I am needing to sand it down slightly, as it is painful after a while…. So effectively, at moment I am using 2 different sizes of batteries…… but, it works fine :wink:

1 Like

I bet you will get it right.
After wearing 675’s and 13’s I liked the slimness of the 13’s. The battery life was not important to me. Batteries are cheap. Especially if you buy them here on the forum.

1 Like