Glued Tubes

Hello,

My latest updates: I traveled to Cairo to check what types of earmolds I could have. They recommended an occluded earmold in the left ear and a 2-mm vented ear mold for the right one. The available materials are silicon and acrylic. I’m going with acrylic as before I had trouble with silicon settling in the ear.

I was told that the tubes would be glued into the earmolds so they are kept fixed in place. This means I will not be able to change the tubes on my own when they get hardened. Any suggestions/ thoughts about this point?

Thank you!

I haven’t personally heard of this being done before & am not sure of who this benefits. Tubing can be changed every few months usually by yourself, as & when required. Ear moulds can last for a lot longer. Personally I wouldn’t want it glued.

3 Likes

Glue is quite normal and you can easily do this yourself about evey 6 months. You can get a little reamer to clean the hole for new tubes.

Your choice of acrylic molds is the right one. I forget where I ordered the kit with glue and the reamer. Try a search.

1 Like

Normally the small amount of glue inside the HA’s can be removed by a small piece pin. Replace a new tube using a small plier (check Youtube).
Normally the PVC HA’s tubing will harden (shrink) between 3-6 months and then it became loose when removing your HA’s at night. The mold will get stuck inside the ear but can be easily pull out.
Normally, the spec of the tube is 2.0mm (internal diameter - ID) and 3.5mm (outer diameter _ OD). So, there is a certain thickness for the sound to travel to the ear. I think the hole in the mold is 1-2 mm smaller.

I have had tubes glued into my molds before, I found if I use something like a wax scraper and push it where the tube is to loosen it that helps but ultimately I just hold the mold and pull the tube out, I prefer to use tubes with tubelocks because I have silicone molds

These ones are my favorite because the lock is quite secure but I can still change tubing when needed. If you want to reglue the tubes in my Earmold person suggested to use loctite gel controlled super glue as that it’s what the lab uses to glue in tubes.

Personally I love useing adcohearing.com since they have a ton of supplies. Hope this helps!

1 Like