Getting these pesky settings just right!

@rogerinshoreham: I’m glad there may be an accessible solution within your reach …

[Yes, I’m aware of the redundancy, but you catch my drift…]

1 Like

@rogerinshoreham

When the Partner Mic is connected and in use but you may be struggling to hear the person wearing the Mic.

If you use your volume up on your Aids, the technology means that you’ll only be turning up the voice of the person wearing the Mic rather than your HA volume.

It’s a very good feature. I like it a lot. Never had to turn the volume up but like that the feature is there.

1 Like

The TV Connector brings the sounds right into your hearing aids. Phonak mics do the same thing. If you major concern is hearing your wife, you can buy the Phonak Partner mic and she can wear it. Any time she speaks to you it will bring the sound right into your hearing aids, just as the TV Connector does. It is the least expensive way to go. If you want to splurge on a mic that will serve in many situations check out a Poger On. Phonak has other mics for various situations.

2 Likes

That sounds amazing and quite difficult to achieve. I had been wondering about this issue of relative levels and that sounds like the answer. I just a family lunch at Pizza Express and my hearing was stretched to the limit as the place filled up.
In that situation will it be possible to start by reducing the volume in my HAs (the whole noisy offering) and then switch on the PartnerMic and increase the partner’s level? I hope I explained that well.

Hi carolgate34,
If you have had the tenacity to go through all this you will know that that is exactly what I have been trying to get. My benchmark is the sound from the TV Connector.
It would be nice to splurge but I have limited myself to a modest budget and the PartnerMic (from the people I mention above) fits that perfectly. In my case Roger is out of reach of Roger and it seems there are difficulties if I found one, any Roger, on eBay, so with help from my friends I have reached conclusion of my odyssey. I will be ordering a PartnerMic tomorrow.

2 Likes

Default, the Partner Mic program is set at -6 dB for your HA Mic volume anyway.

It can be set to a max of -10 dB by the audiologist.

Also if you have the NoiseBlock set to 0 on the Partner Mic program as the NoiseBlock also reduces the loudness of the speech coming through the Partner Mic.

I find it harder to hear the Partner Mic even with NoiseBlock set at weak and then I do without any NoiseBlock what so ever.

Having no NoiseBlock increases the loudness of the speech by quite a lot.

Obviously not really loud as it won’t increase past what your gain is set on your hearing aids. It’s just that the NoiseBlock makes speech really quiet.

It’s the same with the TV Connector, Phone Call and Music program. NoiseBlock interferes with speech massively when you stream music but when you are using your HA Mics, so the everyday program, then NoiseBlock is good.

1 Like

Thanks Zebras,
I’ll have to wait to try all this out. I hope I can get it before Friday so I can ask any questions at the audiologist’s session.
Rog

1 Like

Just remember unless you get a deaf or hard of hearing audiologist, they won’t know how things sound.

They’ll just go by what it says on the software.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with @Zebras. It indeed is one of the most used features I use daily in my Phonak’s and one that make me most happy. I have the Virto P90’s with a volume wheel as extra option. Do not know, but would like to know, if any other HA’s brands can do this…

1 Like

Ah, yes but I have my magic phrase book ready!
When you think about it, there would be no reason why they shouldn’t try HAs during training and even though the adjustments would be minimal they would get some idea what it’s like, especially if the adjustments were purposely set wrongly.

That sounds useful. It is a slight issue that the button +/- volume on my Marvel M70s is set in jumps leaving fine tuning not possible. The same applies to using the myPhonak app.
Still, it’s so much better than a few years ago and at least in the UK they are free. When I lived in France it was unheard of. It was one of the most expensive meals I have ever bought when my Lab (always looking for food) ate a pair when we lived over there. (And what’s more after chewing them spat them out in disgust.)

1 Like

Oh wauw, horrible history

1 Like

Your story is very timely.

I have a new Attack Puppy. I need to be very careful using old storage habits. My charging case for my Phonak P90R’s is on the nightstand. It would be easy for him to snag the case and get my hearing aids.

DaveL

2 Likes

@DaveL: Don’t let that frisky pup eat those nutty-flavoured cerumen treats and lay down one of those pesky whistling poopers in the yard tomorrow morning!

[And … congratulations on your new friend and sincere best wishes for a long, healthy life together.]

1 Like

Thanks! Much appreciated. Been dog owner a long time. First Springer Spaniel. (Just went home at lunch to let him out midday. Acted like a big dog! It was so good to see him.)

He is so smart! And has an amazing nose. fine sense of smell. Have to see if he can become a hearing dog! :slight_smile:
DaveL
Toronto

I don’t know about your boss but I don’t see there would be a problem taking your wife to the audiologist with you and using her as sounding board. That way your Audiologist could adjust your aids with real-time feedback from you.

@DaveL: I know how hard you’ve worked at getting your Phonaks, but think of them as a small sacrifice if the result of Sparkie eating them is a Hearing Dog!

(You know I’m only funnin’ you, right?)

2 Likes

Hi rickus50,
I have a good reason to take her and will be doing so even though I haven’t cleared it with them.
When I first got the new Phonaks the sound was leaking out and annoying my wife. I’ll be starting out on Friday by letting my other half explain that problem before telling the audiologist how I got to the heart of that problem. Turned out to be ‘sloppy’ moulds.
My boss kindly agreed to a recording so at least the next best thing there.
Thanks for the interest. I hope you get as much help if you are looking for a solution to any problems you have, as I’ve had here!
Roger

3 Likes

Yup! Royce! He’s an amazing dog. I just don’t like getting bit. It’s getting better though…I think!

DaveL

But the enemy for me is habit. I need to store my hearing aids more safely.

Couple of days I have another session with my audiologist! Here’s to more improvements.

@DaveL: Good luck, Dave - I am able to appreciate how hard you’ve been working at this. You’re becoming a savvy HA user, indeed! Congratulations, because it requires a lot of persistence (ask @cvkemp Chuck!).

[Don’t let that pesky pup peck at your person with his pointed puppy puncture protuberances! ]

4 Likes