Getting these pesky settings just right!

@rogerinshoreham

Neville has hit the nail on the head.

Sounds like you’ll benefit from a Phonak Partner Mic or Phonak Roger System to get the same benefit as the TV Connector.

1 Like

@rogerinshoreham , @Zebras: Zebes has hit the nail on the head, too! Way to go, Zebes!

1 Like

I’m getting a bit off the topic here but can I ask what is involved as googling leaves me confused. If I wanted to buy a clip-on Roger pen mike for my wife/boss to use will it send directly to my Bluetooth Phonak M70s. I’ve read that in some cases you need a receiver but my HAs don’t have any way to plug in a receiver.
If it’s just a matter of buying the mike (and a charger etc) then that sounds promising.

@rogerinshoreham You could get the PartnerMic without needing anything else, but if you opt for a Roger system, then YES, you will need licenses to be able to use the Roger accessories.

Edit: Not sure about Roger Pen 1.1 if you will need any licenses.

@rogerinshoreham: Sorry I can’t help on this front. I’m an Oticonian, strictly.

2 Likes

@rogerinshoreham

You need a Roger Pen iN or Roger Select iN or Roger On iN to work with your Aids.

Or get a Phonak Partner Mic for 1-1 use which doesn’t need licenses.

None of these work on Bluetooth.

EDIT - if you buy a Roger iN off eBay, make sure it has the licenses otherwise it’s useless. A lot are being sold without.

@Zebras: (I don’t think it’s gonna be an issue. The seniors’ club he volunteers at doesn’t even have budget for snacks for its members, so I doubt they’ll be spending the funds they have on the Roger toys.)

@SpudGunner

Sounds like he should get a Phonak Partner Mic then. I got mine off eBay for £70 which back then was roughly $95.

1 Like

@Zebras, I think you’re correct. As you well know, I know little about the Phonak line of goods. That said, my Oticon ConnectClip has done yeoman’s duty for me as a partner mic. It’s relatively cheap as ALD devices go, and nobody has ever objected to wearing it, if the circumstances require.

[Addendum: Although, like @cvkemp , I get a lot of good use out of my ConnectClip, I’m disappointed in Oticon for

-Not making the battery replaceable;
-Not doing more stringent QC at the factory, and
-Not making the case from a plastic that doesn’t require a silicone skin to protect it from impact or falling

It’s a super little device - if you get one that works properly - and if the Phonak Partner Mic is anything similar, is a “must have” accessory.]

3 Likes

Have you switched from phonak to NAL NL2?

Access to Work in the UK can fund hearing aid assistive listening devices for the workplace and I have been able to get a Roger On iN through this scheme.

Woth a try as they are transformative in difficult situations.

1 Like

Hi eyesgreendeaf,
I have a growing list of things to raise and this is one of them.
Thanks,
Roger

Hi Mark (I assume it is?),
I did look at that but because I work (unpaid, part time) for a charity I don’t qualify. However, the County Council have a ‘hearing support group’ and I have managed to get the TV Connector through them and also a very loud smoke alarm. Others might benefit from you mentioning it though. Cheers.
Roger

Still using Phonak @eyesgreendeaf, but I switched prescriptions from, DSL v5a to NAL NL2, approximately a year ago, for me, a big difference to overall clarity, and crisper, overall loudness takes a bit getting used too, took me about a month or so to acclimatise, after that, I was fine… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Are you able to get anything else?

I got a pager system with door bell, fire alarm, telephone alerter and carer button which lights up the baby light on the pager.

I also got a minicom, CO alarm (lights up fire symbol on pager), TV box and alarm clock that has a vibration pad.

3 Likes

@Zebras: That’s quite the haul! Does the kit have good value at pawn?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:t2:

[You realize that I’m only funnin’ you, right, Zebes?]

2 Likes

I do use phonak . An expert audiologist wrote me that at severe to profound losses fitting formulas are not much different

1 Like

That’s not quite true, the formula’s used are the same regardless of ones loss, however some do seem to prefer certain formulas over others, if that’s what they meant.

2 Likes

There’s loads of difference.

Some provide a lot more gain.

Some don’t provide as much bass.

One seems to literally not provide any bass.

There’s a big difference.

5 Likes

TBVH @eyesgreendeaf, there is a massive difference in how the formulas sound to me… I think, I have tried them all via Target, and I had discounted NAL NL2, because of the overall perceived loudness (by me) but it was a extremely experienced NHS A.uD whom switched me to that prescription, so I persisted with it, and as a result, I reaped the eventual benefits! As a side note, how could an A.uD know, or indeed contemplate, even if they are experienced, or not, how sound actually sounds to a profoundly deaf person, unless they have a profound loss themselves, it is all conjecture on their part… Probably the best A.uD, I have ever encountered, was a profoundly deaf lady in my 30+ years of hearing of, “Sudden Sensory Neural Hearing Loss”, there is indeed, no actual substitute for hands on experience, and I have always been aided… I reiterate, conjecture is vastly different, from actual hands on experience! Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes