Frustration With The Tap Control “Feature” - Crosses Brands/Models

I have Starkey Evolv 2400 RIC HAs. I have had them for 25 months. When I got them, one of the selling points was you could tap them and change the program. This feature sounded interesting, but in practice was a PITA. Take your glasses off, or scratch your ear etc. and the thing was off to the races. Trying to tap it back to normal was a crap shoot on what program would end up on in each ear. In the end, most times I just pulled out my phone and reset both to normal - until the next unintended tap.

In general, I like the HAs, but this feature was annoying. On my last visit, I met with a new AuD at the office. She is right out of school, but seemed to be good at her job. At one point, when I was handling my HAs, they switched and I pulled out my phone and reset them to normal. I also made a polite, but disparaging comment about that feature. She said “I can turn that off or adjust the sensitivity for you”. Music to my ears. I had her turn it off. I can still change programs with my phone, but the HAs no longer change programs on their own. The only exception is that when streaming music, the stream boost program still works, but it goes back to normal when the music is turned off.

Consider this a PSA. If your HAs have this feature and you find it irritating, ask your AuD if it can be turned off.

ETA - the title of this tread has changed. The original Whack-A-Mole title was changed to a brand & model specific generic title. That title completely failed to express the point of this thread, which is the frustration that I had with the tap control feature. Further that I was unaware that this function can be disabled. I revised the title to better state the point of the thread and as noted by others upon this thread, it is not a brand or model-specific issue. Personally, I would like this feature to be available to toggle on and off in the app.

2 Likes

I have older Starkey
Muse aids.
I use the buttons on the aids to change the programs.
Yours can probably be programmed.
I tried Evolves.
I remember having them programmed that way.

1 Like

Mine will do that. I just find the phone app easier to use. Thanks for the info though.

Let me clarify.
The Evols are good hearing aids.
Mine were the Audible version
The audiologist had no clue about what she wanted to sell me.
I also confused her.
I told her about my loss.
When I told her about the distortion in my left ear and the tinnitus she was lost.
I also told her I’ll never buy another Audible product.
I’m just biding my time till I’m ready for new aids.

That is one of the reasons why my previous audi of 15 years simply refers those who want Starkey aids to another audi in town. In fairness, he says the tap-change simply does not work well no matter WHO makes the aids - for all the reasons you list here!

I’m happy just pressing the rocker wheel on my Phonak Lumity Life aids to change programs. That way, I can put on my glasses, take 'em off, run fingers through my hair, put a hat ON, then OFF, itch my ear, hey whatever, and not go NUTS with program changes that would then require a dedicated TAP to get them back to the default.

When you have 4 programs like I do, that would be a real PAIN to cycle through them. Even the lame phone apps are better. HA makers mean well, but I wish they’d spend time and money on “HOW TO HEAR IN LOUD PLACES” instead of dreaming up these other so-called benefits that just drive us NUTS.

Want to sell more aids? Develop software that genuinely guarantees a person can HEAR IN LOUD PLACES. Can’t do it? Go back to work and figure it out. That is really all we truly need.

2 Likes

Thank you! My thoughts are same as yours

I regularly have dropped cell phone calls including zoom meetings by putting my glasses on or somehow touching them, usually when I want to hear the most. Paradise P90R

Indeed. I gave up and disabled the tap control feature on my Lumity aids, because it was always going off accidentally, but I had to basically punch myself in the head to use it intentionally.

2 Likes

LOL, that would drive me NUTS! I hope you disabled the touch-control?

1 Like

On my Audéo Phonaks I can set tapping sensitivity (three settings) or switch tapping off, using the app, and apply this to each HA separately. This helps somewhat to overcome the “surprises”.

2 Likes

I should. Experience with my audiologist and hearing aids was so bad that this was a minor problem. Now hitting myself upside the head to answer a call is a routine.

I migrated from Marvels to the Paradise specifically for the tap function.

Double tap to answer the phone, tap to pause and restart TV sound when my wife wants to talk are my most used functions.

The app is excellent for adjusting the sensitivity of the taps…

I’m not sure if I could function without the tap function…LOL

2 Likes

I have Starkey Genesis 24 and I like and use the tap feature. Yes, there are times it can get invoked accidentally depending on the sensitivity level selected. I rarely enable it while putting on glasses although it is more likely to get triggered when removing the mask. I have never experienced dropping a cell line or zoom while using the tap. I use tap more often to enable the HA assistant (like siri or Alexa) to update me about the time of the day, weather or battery level and even ask the hearing aid to change the program to mute (all mikes off) while brushing my teeth. Unfortunately, you need to be close to your phone to enable the assistant, the price we must pay for having LE Bluetooth. Perhaps, Starkey has overcome the issue you have described or it may be that I handle my glasses more differently than others. I have other issues with Genesis but this not one of them. .

@AlanK1
Can’t count how many cell calls I’ve lost putting on my glasses or sunglasses. And my Phonak APP is set at “firm” for tap control. It’s embarrassing during zoom calls having to rejoin videos.
I’ve had criticism and harassments since I got my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s. They’re workman’s comp issued. I can get new hearing aids in 2026.

DaveL