For backup hearing aid, is it ok to be outside the fitting range a little?

I’m looking at some Oticon MiniRite R open S 1 With 85 db.
As you can see I’m off with my left ear. I would use these for fishing and other activities where I don’t want to have my new aids on. I’m thinking that it could work knowing that it’s not going to be perfect. Anyone else have back up HA that fall short on fitting?

1 Like

Maybe I would suggest Oticon Xceed BTE UP for your severe/profound hearing loss. Give it a trial and see whether it is suitable for you.

Well. These are only $125. I thought for the price it not a great risk. I will be self programming them. If I like them I could always bump up to a 100 db. But only using them for fishing, boating or if I lose another pair again :roll_eyes:

1 Like

i think you can take them as backup. If the 85db receivers are not loud enough, then try the 100db receivers, but keep in mind that the 100db receivers are bigger than 85db

1 Like

Those aids should work fine as a backup pair.
Using Speech Rescue just might make them a great fit for your loss.

1 Like

Do you use frequency lowering? If you did they would probably be fine. I would look more at the gain graph of those aids and the detail gain your current hearing aids are set for.

For example, i had Power receivers (Phonak aids) that had a full on gain of 59. I only had a couple frequency ranges that were set to 50, 51 gain. So even though i was technically out of the fitting range, with frequency lowering, my actual setup did not max out the aids.

1 Like

I went to pick them up but the aids won’t charge. Why I didn’t have them check I don’t know. I asked every other question. They were also VA aids and I’m guessing they are locked. Any way I think replacing the battery would not be cost effective based on some research. However I never really found what battery it would take. Anyone know which one?
I’ll just keep looking I’m sure I’ll find something.
And Don, I do use frequency Lowering on my current aids. Still working on getting them set up.

The battery is easy enough to change, you just remove the pin to open the battery door, the VA do not lock HAs, so no problem there. You can reset them in genie2 software.
Battery can be found on eBay.