Flat audiogram for speech, with a Phonak P30-R?

I’m an old guy with some high-frequency hearing loss,
my flat audiogram 250 - 2000 Hz dropping by about 30 dB at 4000 Hz.
My 90 % use case is to understand my wife better in a quiet environment (no bluetooth).

With a Phonak P30-R, equalizers set to “speech” + no further adjustment,
I’d expect the audiogram on hearingtest.online to be fairly flat, 4000 about the same as 2000. In fact it’s only a little better, say 20 dB down.
(You may say “no no, web tests are useless”
but I’m an engineer, want reproducible tests that I can run myself –
suggestions welcome.)

1. is it reasonable to expect a flat response curve 250 - 4000 Hz from a hearing aid, for mild hearing loss ?
  2. is it possible with a Phonak P30-R ?
    (Can the hearing-aid person adjust the 4 initial equalizer settings
    auto, restaurant, music, speech separately ? Can s/he print or plot 4 curves ?)
  3. how can I explain to a hearing-aid salesperson who hardly understands curves that I want a flatter audiogram for speech ?

Hi there, could you post your clinical audiogram and some screenshots of your online one, have you got any screenshots of your programming done on your P30’s

1. Yes, if you don’t need any amplification at all in those frequencies.

2. Any HA can be programmed to suit ones loss. Different formulas and what type of domes/molds you use give different outcomes.

3. How do you know what the exact settings are at the moment with your HAs.

Hi tenkan
good point 3, what are the settings ? I haven’t programmed my Phonak at all –
in Germany, only hearing-aid stores do that.
Where can I start – is there a download site with some doc ?
(screenshots tomorrow)

You need Target software. Some people on this website have it if you ask.

You also need Noahlink wireless programming device. Here’s what it looks like. You can search around for the best price.

1 Like

As already stated for what you need, head over to the DIY forum and you’ll find most of the information you ll be seeking,

As a side note, its the Noahlink Wireless programming device not NOAHlink.

Cheers