Five days with the Phonak P-UP and the right one quits on me

I’ve called, and the audi will order me another set, allowing me to keep these until the new ones arrive.
Can’t imagine my frustration (or maybe you can). Main reason I’m keeping these until they’re replaced is so that I can be certain that the ‘factory’ won’t simply try to repair this set, and will give me brand new ones.
I was hearing SOMETHING with the new ones. Mostly what is probably background noise. Once the new ones arrive, I will ask him to see about filtering that out, and who knows: Maybe I’ll be able to hear ‘things’ again. Not that I have my hopes up or anything, but if I can hear what I wasn’t hearing before, one never knows, does one.
Oh and yes, I’d tried changing the batteries out when it happens. No joy.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that and totally understand the frustration. Hope the new ones work out

2 Likes

Wow, that’s some loss!!! And most probably the worst audiogram I’ve seen on here, in perhaps a dozen years or so… But, as always, there is always someone worse, than yourself! You have my sympathy & empathy in equal measure, the very best of luck in your quest for better hearing @PlasticMask1, hopefully your new Naida Paradise UP’s will work better, when you receive your replacements… Take care, cheers Kev :wink:

5 Likes

Your hearing loss is worse than mine and yours is the worse l have seen in this forum. I have the P70-UP aids. Due to your hearing loss, you should try cochlear implants and these will work better than any hearing aid depending on your ear. These aids aren’t going to help you hear any speech, just background noises.
You stated you haven’t heard sounds before. Was your audiogram the same at birth?

2 Likes

I can’t do CIs due to general anesthetic issues and at my age, I’m not risking it. I don’t recall stating that I’ve never heard sound before; I lost my hearing in 2016 due to a bacterial infection picked up whilst travelling. Thanks for the suggestion though.
EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention that when both were working, I WAS hearing SOME things, kind of, just not very clearly obviously and not very loudly. I’m hoping that if the audi can cut some of that background noise out then it will help. I understand that I’ll never be able to play the guitar again or anything like that. I just want SOMETHING instead of NOTHING. And yes, the background noise, although not loud either, is frustrating as heck to put it as mildly as I think that this Forum will allow.

1 Like

Hi Terry, as a point of interest, did you not consider C.I. yourself? In truth, at one time I would have jumped at the chance of an implant, not now though, I hear fairly well with my Naida P90’s, in fac, I probably hear better now than I did 20 odd years ago, especially with Bluetooth cell phone calls, and all the other Roger gear I have… I was given 3 months, to consider an implant, but I declined… I retired about 6 months ago,I have a heart condition, various other health issues, I thought about it deeply, the rehab, the risk, my lifestyle now, would it improve my lot, on balance the advantages weren’t overwhelming, so I let it go… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

I put off the cochlear implant route. I’m happy with my phonak aids. Still waiting on xceed replacements. At some point, l might get an CI for my left ear however the doctors want it on my best trained right ear. I wouldn’t get CI for my best ear.

1 Like

Aye Terry, they always go for the initial implant in the good ear, gives them the best chance of success…In the extremely unlikely event of a failure, I would be goosed… I get very little contextual information in the left ear… Cheers Kev :wink: