Fitting range

I want to know what’s meaning of fitting range? how does it be set ? like to your answer.Thanks.

What the aid is capable of fitting. In the specs you will see an audiogram with the shaded
region. So if your audiogram is within the shaded region then you could be a candidate for such aid. This however is a basic guideline

As X-Builder said the published fitting range is the manufacturers recommended loudness in decibels that the aid can handle and corresponds to your loss as measured by your fitting professional.

The fitting range, is of course, just one of the parameters that define an aids performance. Ed

Also note that fitting ranges as shown in data-sheets; the selection page of the software … and in the capability of the actual fitting screens … can differ.

The fitting range can be optimistic or pessimistic compared with the aid’s true capability.

I eventually decided that this was a legal liability and/or marketing issue … don’t recommend an aid if there is any chance of it being too weak … or … do recommend this aid even if too weak as we want to beat the competition.

Some firms fall into the over-optimistic camp, others into the over-cautious camp.

Here’s a picture of fitting range charts:
Sorry, the picture was lost.

The only way to see if the instrument is really capable is using speech mapping
sadly most people dont use it, it is a powerfull tool

eh?

Surely if we’re only talking gain requirements, any REM system can show the max output of an aid. REAR with speech only gives you and averaged maximum speech response which is handy for tuning, but doesn’t exercise the full potential of the system.

Speech mapping IS NOT REM!!! So the idea is to have soft sounds audible, conversational sounds confortable and loud sounds loud but not uncortable. All this have to be fitted
within the patient dinamic range right? With speech mapping you can see how much
you can squeeze right and if you use the right machine, you can fine tune the aid to maximize SII, right? Rem does not provide any of this information right? (someone correct me if Im wrong please)

Thanks.
but I want to know what’s the meaning of your said"speech mapping".
can u speak Chinese?

Thank u very much.

thank u very much.

very agree with your point. in china,some manufactures extend the aid’s fitting range arbitrarily. for the marketing reason.

thank u very much

Thank you for sharing the picture with us , i also don’t know the meaning of fitting range , by looking at your picture , now i can understand it a little .

Here’s a more specific example. Click the link in my signature line below to see My Wife’s Audiogram. Next week I will be attempting to fit a pair of Oticon Agil Pro MINIRITEs for her. I chose the (M)edium power receiver. In the picture below I marked her Audiogram (see the hand drawn red line) for her right ear. You can see that it fits into the shaded area but only when using a Custom Mold or Power Dome.

I will try the cheap Power Dome first. If that works, and if she likes the fit, then we will have a pair of custom molds made for her.

If she doesn’t like the fit then I will fit them for myself using a (S)tandard receiver.

Capice?

pvc,

your wife’s data graphed in red is a good example. But when do you know if a custom mold or power dome is needed. When is the open dome or plus dome used.

On the top right corner of the chart there are 2 legends, I would assume it’s telling me the grayed out area is “custom mold - power dome”. But I can’t figure out the legend for the “open dome - plus dome” as its looks like a blank block.

sorry but I just can’t decypher the chart any further than seeing your wife’s data falling into the shaded area and can’t figure out when open/plus dome could be used

Okay here’s red lines drawn around the fitting range of Open Dome - Plus Dome:

Specific example again (color coded);
Open Dome - Plus Dome = Blue,
Custom Mold - Power Dome = the entire gray area,
My Wife’s right ear Audiogram = Red.

See how her low frequency loss is outside the Open Dome/Plus Dome fitting range but still inside the Custom Mold/Power Dome fitting range?

pvc, that was a Great explanation on how to read the chart! i couldn’t figure out what that dark gray sloped line was all about. After your explanation it dawns on me that it’s the line border between the open and custom mold domes fit. If only they had made the border on the outer edge of the shaded area a bit darker like that dark gray line maybe I’d have figured it out. hahahaha, geez

edit: with my data, I’d be borderline with an open dome/standard recv’r at 3000hz and above, what’s the difference in shape/color between the 3 recv’rs(are they colored green/mustard/black as the charts depicts it)?

I’m sorry for going off topic here, I’ll stop it now if I’m in err

Apologies if this comes over as patronising, but:

Speech-mapping IS REM, more specifically it is Real Ear Aided Response with a superimposed target derived directly from the speech banana/kayak, and the residual dynamic range of the patient.

The veracity of speech mapping has been established through various empirical studies, but the requirement to provide loudness growth equivalent to the ‘banana’ is unproven, especially as Dillon and others state that audibility isn’t improved by level differentiation - and if you take TV adverts as a guide, compression clearly gives the appearance of a ‘louder’ signal.

As with all measures, taken in isolation, as good as the system is, you can’t state that it is the only answer verbatim - especially as people’s own loudness and experience may differ enormously. I use the system to judge the physical fitting - then vary the findings based on the patient response.