Fitting Assistant feature in Genie2 software

Hi,
I have questions about fitting assistant feature in Genie2:
1/ Do you know where is the Fitting Assistant feature in Genie2?
I read the user support manual and it says about the Fitting Assistant in Genie. I can not find this feature in Genie2.

2/ If it is not available in Genie2, Can I open patient file with Genie which the file was created by Genie2?

3/ What I want to do is to: to make my own voice clearer, and I want to make male voice clearer (I can’t hear male voice with lower tone). I can hear female 's voice now)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thank you

Click on Sound Control in Fine Tuning. You should be able to do what you want there.

Thank you Fred,
I found that genie2 did not have same interface likes genie.
I was in Fine Tunning but that was so general and was not having detail features adjustment as prior version. I hope next release of genie2, they will bring back features that it had in genie.Do you happen to know my question 3/ above?

thank you for respond

3/ What I want to do is to: to make my own voice clearer, and I want to make male voice clearer (I can’t hear male voice with lower tone). I can hear female 's voice now)

In Sound Controls, try different settings in soft sound perception category.
If that doesn’t work, go back to Gain Controls and try raising or lowering the low frequency settings.

2/ If it is not available in Genie2, Can I open patient file with Genie which the file was created by Genie2?

Fitting Assistant is not available in Genie 2. No, you can not open a Genie 2 file with Genie.

Fred,
you recommended: " In Sound Controls , try different settings in soft sound perception category. If that doesn’t work, go back to Gain Controls and try raising or lowering the low frequency settings" … Here what I did:

I have tried the soft sound perception. I moved the adjustment bar to the right (more treble) and moved adjustment bar to left (more bass) and these seemed not to help at all … I went back to Gain Control and adjust low frequency (125k to 750K) … if I went above or below the dashed line (target fitting line I think), my voice became muffed and distorted … it did not sound ok. Then I started to move the prescribed line toward the dashed line for higher frequency (2k to 8k) (target fitting I think) then it seemed my voice was sharper but the feedback was so bad …
so the questions are:
1/ do I need to bring the prescribed line closes to dashed line in order for me to hear well with my voice and other people voice? but how do i fix an annoying feedback?
2/ even I bring the prescribed line closes the dashed line, I still don’t think my voice and other people voice are true… I felt my voice sounds like the voice of reporter in bad tuning on radio station. it was loud but not clear.
3/ I also have question about in-situ: Let say I measured my left ear at 2k. Let say I can barely heard the tone at 40db, and I can hear clear at 50db. should I marked the graph at 40db or should I mark the graph whenever I am able to hear clear?

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Before we go any further, lets make sure we are on the same page.

1. What model of OPN are you using?
  2. What receiver/speaker are you using?
  3. Are you using domes or ear molds? Vented or not vented?

On your in-situ question, mark the graph as soon as you can barely hear it.

Hi again,
1/ I am using Oticon OPN1
2/ receiver is 100 db
3/ I am using double domes 10mm vented

May be “On your in-situ question, mark the graph as soon as you can barely hear it.” is the reason that why my graph was not draw correctly. I always under assumption that I have to hear absolutely clear then I will mark that coordination of the graph as a good coordination. I guess my hearing test was wrong at certain frequency???

thank you so much for your helps

I would say reprogram your aids using a new in-situ test. Select General VAC for at least 1 program,
run and apply Feedback Analyzer.
See how that works.

thanks for advice. I will try and will let you know

thank you

Hi,
I did tried to reprogram with new in-situ test and it was better but I still felt people talked with the voice of bad tuning radio… the sound was like you are turning the round knob button of radio (old analog radio) for AM channel, let say 870 AM. when you are turning the knob, before or after the exact prime point, sound was hearing as torn and broken sheet of metals and static which people call “white noise or video noise” . To be exact how did it sound like, for example, using the stick and hit the pot of metal cookware or silverware or hit the empty bottle of soda can. it was loud but was not clear.
So I gave up and went to see audiologist … I took the hearing test again, and Dr said the test was not much of the different from what I had saved in the hearing aids. She helped me to do fine tuning the aids. I told her I cannot hear men with soft voice and low tones and described the broken sound in high frequencies. She was in fitting tab and I saw she selected from 1k back to 275 then brought up the low frequencies …Then she brought down 6k, then select “all” to brought up volumes on both sides . Yes, I have to acknowledge when I was in her office, I did hear better and clearer but the whistling sounds were so bad on both ears… she then used the feed back analyzer to remove the whistling sound but the clear and clean sound seemed to be removed… she recommended me to do custom ear molds for reason I have big deep slop from 2 k to 8 K which to help to keep the sounds stay in my ear and also avoid the whistling sound feedback. I told her that I was in Costco before and did try the resound (4 months ago) with custom mold but it did not work (my experience was that I could not hear well with resound aids, felt like having ear plug, and nasally sound like I had cold or flu).
I have been wearing her new setting till now (3 days), yes, it was better. I can hear certain of my males coworkers that I could not hear well before… however, I still can’t hear certain people such as old man with very with rumbling voices, or women with male voices, or women and kids … if these people articulate their voices, I guess It will help but reality that I just can’t tell everyone in certain situation that hey, I am deafness… can you speak slow, loud, and clear please!!! of course, they will not change their speaking life styles because of me!

I still believe this OPN 1 is very powerful (yes it was more powerful than my Oticon epod XW and resound), it is just we can not fine-tune it to correct level yet
Question please:
1/ what is the frequency of throaty voices? or what is frequency for the voice of old smoking women and men
Any help is greatly appreciate.

NewTest1

Here is my new test
any advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you

I’m about out of ideas, tritrang. You may have to go with custom molds eventually. Your loss in the low frequencies is similar to mine. I have custom molds right now that have approximately 1.0 mm vents. They are very comfortable and I have no problems with feedback but, the day may come when I have to go unvented.

I think the frequency for throaty voices is around 600 htz. You should download the Spectroid sound meter app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.intoorbit.spectrum&hl=en_US and use it to find the frequencies of sounds you need help with.

You might ask for help over in the Audiologists section here at the Forum for help.

Good luck. Don’t give up.

Thank you Fred for your advice
I did download the app “Spectrum” for Iphone to measure frequencies of people voices. Amazingly, I found most of people whom I talked to daily have frequencies around 250 Hz to 500 Hz. certain of them has frequency as low as 125 Hz. but most of conversations are ranging from 250 Hz to 1k. It is very rare that I have signal is higher than 2K. So what I did was to bring up the frequency from 125 to 2K above the dashed line then I am able to hear people talk now (still not optimum level I want yet… well I don’t know what is the optimum level anyway. So adjusting keep continue)

1/ This make me wondering what is the dashed line use for?
2/ why am I setting above the dashed line and able to hear better but I can’t hear if I do tuning exact at the dashed line? is my hearing test wrong? (I have 3 hearing tests in past 4 months and they are not much of the different from each other)
3/ how much more I can adjust far from Dashed line?
4/ What is the mountain shape (up side down) in pink and blue mean? if I bring the tuning line in that area, I will have worse feedback?

Do you have any ideal? Any comment is very much appreciated.

I need to learn so I can talk to my audi… I think my recent visit at audi’s office, she did has small improvement but if I am educated enough, I can shorten the trial and error… I don’t think my audi really knows what’s going on with patient. She knows I am deaf but how much of the adjustment need, I don’t think she knows that it unless I can tell her what’s direction she needs to focus on.

I will attach my setting so you can have ideal what I am talking about
Thank you for the helps

[quote=“tritrang, post:13, topic:43196”]
1/ This make me wondering what is the dashed line use for?
The dashed line is what Genie software has determined is the best setting for you.

2/ why am I setting above the dashed line and able to hear better but I can’t hear if I do tuning exact at the dashed line? is my hearing test wrong?
I don’t know. Obviously, you need more gain than Genie recommends.

3/ how much more I can adjust far from Dashed line?
I guess until sounds become too loud for you or everything has a hiss sound.
In my case, I get the hissing sound with the Genie prescribed settings when I’m outdoors. I lower
the volume one click to take care of that.

4/ What is the mountain shape (up side down) in pink and blue mean? if I bring the tuning line in that area, I will have worse feedback?
Correct. If you go there, you will get feedback.

Do I have any ideas? **Yes I do.
Use your present settings as Program 1
Duplicate it to Program 2, then highlight all the low frequency settings and raise them 1 DB.
Duplicate Program 2 to Program 3, and raise LF settings 1 DB.
Duplicate Program 3 to Program 4, and raise LF settings 1 DB.

Try the different programs till you find one that works best for you. Make that your default Program or Program 1. Then use the same procedure for the mid range frequencies. Hopefully, you will find a program that allows you to hear better, and is comfortable.

Use Speech Recovery set around 4K htz to see if you can gain anything in HF.

Good luck, good hunting.

Thank you Fred_Flintstone for your respond. May I have few more questions please:
1/ How do I duplicate the program let say P1 (program 1)?
Currently, my audi set P1 (General VAC+), P2 (speed in noise), P3 (Comfor), P4 (Music). So far I am playing the adjusting features in P1. Do you mean copy the P1 to the place of P2 is to select General VAC in P2 drop-down combo box? here is the picture that I thought what you mean. Please let me know if I am on right direction:

2/ “Duplicate it to Program 2, then highlight all the low frequency settings and raise them 1 DB” --> Please let me know if I understood you correctly? I think there are 3 steps to increase 1Db:

3/ " Speech Recovery" I think you mean Speech Rescue?. There are 3 adjusting parameters in this speech rescue: 1/ Configuration, and 2/ High frequency (on or off), and 3/ strength. I did experiment and think configuration and strength go together. For example, Let say I selected configuration at 4.1 (it showed range 2.9-4.1 KHz), then increase the strength by clicking the + sign, the graph did move up toward to dashed line. For the High Frequency on/off: If I click off, the graph drops down further away from dashed line. I guess the goal here is to bring the solid line ups and closes to dashed line so I would always leave the high frequency button to on …
4/ But I have questions:
How do I know what configuration that I need to select? Do I need to select same configuration for both ears? for the strength, how much strength do I need (max, medium, minimum…)? and what is the little round thing like the clock sign on the top of configuration?

5/ As I mentioned to you earlier that if I brought up from 125hz to 2k Hz, then I was about to hear people now. By looking at my graphs, the solid line rose above dashed line started from 250hz to 1.1K which I think where people voice are ranging (according to the sound analysis app on my Iphone). So you recommend me to raise the LF (mean bring up the range from 125hz-625hz) but I thought people voice is from 225 to 1k which I missed. why do I need to bring up the LF at this time. Will that help with hearing people talk? Sorry I am having many questions… I am just about to see the light at end of tunnel… so I am afraid any wrong move now just to throw up all our hard works!

Let summary what issues do I have now:
1/ I am about to hear people talks now. I can understand them like 50% of conversation. Is this the best setting yet? No I don’t think so. I think there is still room for improvement but How? Should I bring up more 500hz to 2k?
2/ I still can not hear certain male and female voices. One man who knows I am fine tuning my hearing aid so he intentionally speaks in very soft most of the time (almost mumbling the throat) to fake me (this is not fun and I am very frustrated but I can not do anything :frowning: ). There is one woman who I can’t hear well either. She also speaks in her throat …
3/ Another scenario is In the restaurant, when people are competing for conversations, this is hard to understand. There are closed example of my real life are the studio sound of Genie2: they are the clip of “Play Ground” and “friends in the pubs”

Thank you for your helps