First Time Hearing Aid User?

I came across some articles which outline some things you should know IF you are a first time hearing aid user. I thought you may find this interesting reading…

Hearing Centers Network
Actually this site appears to have a great deal of information for first time users/buyers. Take a look. You’ll be glad. Hell if I was in California - I’d go and see him!
http://www.hearingcentersnetwork.net/index.html

Widex: First time users
http://www.widex.com/hearing%20loss/adults/hearing%20aid%20use/firsttime%20hearing%20aid%20user.aspx

My wife and I are first time purchasers of hearing aids. I have spent many hours looking at pricing, products, features, reviews etc. We have demo’d a set of small hearing aids (sent back after a week) and we are now on trial with another hearing aid, this time behind-the-ear with an in-canal speaker and M&RIE feature.

The number of devices is quite overwhelming but we homed in on quality of sound, affordability and after care quality. We decided to focus on 5 devices and we’re at the stage where we’re probably a week away from making a purchase.

A factor that we feel is very pertinent to the affordability question is the broadly held opinion that the life of a hearing aid is, on average 3-5 years, at which time one would need to go through the process all over again. Hence, why consider devices that cost more than $4,000/pair (We’re retired) unless money isn’t a problem. Any advice would be welcome.

Don’t believe everything you read on the interwebs, it’s something that the manufacturer’s and audiology clinics want you to believe, your HAs after that time are not “suddenly going to stop working” they use a bit of scaremongering" with things like “no parts available etc” but eBay is a wonderful place.
Please if you can, try Costco wholesale price and you’ll not need to worry so much if you need to spend $1200 to $1500 every 3-5 years for premium models.

4 Likes

If you want to milk the most years from your HAs, I would consider disposable battery units. Rechargeables are the shiny new thing, but the batteries will degrade over time.

4 Likes

Average replacement where I am is five years, but I regularly see seven and I saw a thirteen year old set just this week. Lifespan depends on care and cleaning and depends on the ear environment.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly, although Lithium-Ion batteries do degrade over time. Salespeople talk about having an “investment” but I do not share their opinion. Costco have a 6-month trial period and a 3-year warranty. Their value proposition is better than most, if not the best.

1 Like