First time hearing aid user - Rexton Bi core. Help needed

Hi, I’ve just purchased the Rexton BI Core rechargeable hearing aids from Costco. I have had them for a week, and I’m not sure if my expectations are unreasonable.

I have an android phone AX5s, which is running the very basic Smart Remote App. This has been problematic. There are only 2 settings, Party, and Automatic.

I can adjust the microphone direction initially, but after approx 30 seconds, the soundscape changes, and the sound changes directionality, and I feel quite deaf, as it cuts out a great deal of sound.

I am also hearing clicking in the right HA, which I assume is the program changing on its own, but it only changes in one ear. The volume seems to only change in the right ear also.

I have the open fit domes(?) as I have cookie bite loss, which means (for me) I still have my high and low frequencies.
Human speech is the frequency I am needing, so I wanted to retain some of my natural hearing sounds, as opposed to closed ear fitting (?) Not sure of the correct terms.

That being said, i have ordered an iPhone 12, to see if that gives me more functional usability with the IPhone app version.
I have an appointment to see the Audiologist at Costco in a week.

To say I am frustrated is an understatement. The hearing aids actually make me feel deaf. I can lip read quite well, and it’s very tempting to just stop using them altogether.

I’ve had to ask my husband to repeat himself, even when I’m wearing them.

What is the reasonable expectation of hearing aid assisted hearing?

Thanks for reading.

1 Like

Your not alone being in this situation, but it’s not hard for Costco to sort everything out for you, as it’s definitely not set up correctly, but the first fit rarely correct first time, it’s common practise to go back to ones audiologist for adjustments, take note of the issues and let sort it, but yes you should update you phone, MFi is better then the android experience for a lot of people, you should have more then 2 programs set up, you could if you wanted have 6.

2 Likes

Yes, I too had problems with my Rextons on the initial fit but after Inbrought them back for an adjustment, they were great.

iphone is much better for controlling MFI (made for iphone) HAs. Part of the difference may be that the iphone screen is simply more responsive than the screens on Android phone. I know I almost always nute/unmute my aids with 1 tap on my iphone when it almost always takes multiple taps on my one-time high end Samsung.

Alas, Android soes everything else I care about (text messaging, playing music, clock/timer/alarm) much better than the iphone does.

1 Like

It can take a few adjustment appointments to tweak things to suit your situation. You may always notice some changes and transitions, so try to look at the overall situation. Others may notice you hearing better before you do. It is not perfect, but hearing aids are helpful. Hang in there. It also takes your brain a bit to adjust and get accustomed to what to notice and what to sift to the back of your awareness. Wearing from morning til night and daily is the best way to optimize them - you may need to ramp up to that if they are not completely comfortable. At some point you will realize you don’t notice them anymore.

1 Like

Thankyou everyone for your kind responses. I have been back to the Audiologist at Costco, and she changed the domes, and the program settings. I also have an iPhone now and am finding it great for Bluetooth streaming my calls to the hearing aids. Hearing on the phone was a bit of a nightmare before. So that’s a huge win there :smiley: The capability for music streaming is there also, but at this point doesn’t sound that great. I may have to ask for a dedicated program setting for music?

1 Like