First Hearing Aids / high frequency mild hearing loss

Hello , I’m looking for my first Hearing Aids . I’m using Ampliphon through my Insurance. I have a mild high hearing loss with tinnitus. I’ve know for 2 years and this time the audiogram showed hearing has gotten worse down to the 50 mark. This is the quote I received from the audiologist office.

They have Genesis AI 20 for $1895/aid or Genesis AI 24 for $2195/aid. There is not a huge difference in the price, but these are the top-of-the-line hearing aids and they will come with a 39-month warranty. Let me know if you want to proceed.

This is with the dicount from insurance. My hearing isn’t horrible, I get some words messed up but for the most part can tell what people are saying . I have done the research and know I need to go ahead and start using them . I’m a 45 and don’t want to end up like my dad who waited too long and is very frustrated with his hearing aids and states he still cannot hear anything.

Is this a good deal ? With having mild hearing loss will I see improvement with a hearing aid ?

I also have mild to slightly moderate high frequency loss one ear is worst than the other. I got tired of asking people to repeat themselves and me accusing others of mumbling. So I say yes to hearing aids they help in clearing the speech range. I call it glasses for the ears. I would recommend getting the highest tech if you can afford it gives the fitter ability to really tune them. I would look at if possible going to Costco. They sell the high-end added affordable price.

1 Like

Thank you for responding ! I will check out costco!

Whether particular aids are a good deal or not also depends upon what is important to you and how much functionality you want or need in a hearing aid. Are the features sufficient to your needs? Do you actually need all the bells and whistles they offer? I was surprised to discover not all allow hands free calling, for example, or maybe they do with iOS but not Android, or whatever. But the same aid that doesn’t offer hands free calling does in one case offer a fitness tracker (I think it might be the Genesis AI). TBH I don’t want my HA as a fitness tracker… I already have watches for that. Seems a bit gimmicky. But music quality is important to me, whether it is streaming or live. I also must be able to function well in group meetings that feature a lot of arcane terminology. I also don’t want unnatural sound if I can avoid it. Some people simply want to be able to have conversation in a quiet room and hear the tv without having to turn it all the way up, and other people have very specific needs, and everything in between. So I think you should be asking a lot more questions. Doing a search on this forum and reading reviews of specific HA’s and their pros and cons is a good place to start.

As to whether you will see an improvement can only be answered by you. I personally find it exhausting when I have to strain to hear, and I, too, have a mild loss with tinnitus.

Since you are looking at a fair amount of cost even with your insurance, you might want to do a little more research and see if Costco, if there is one near you with a hearing center, might work. Or maybe see what other options there are thru Ampliphon. Costco has good aids that start at 1500 for a pair, excellent warranty and support. My husband had very expensive aids, two sets over the years, and this last time he decided to try Costco after doing some research on this forum. He is thrilled with them.

But I definitely vote for getting aids, especially if hearing loss runs in the family.

1 Like

Thank you for responding ! That is exactly what I did not want to do is pay for bunch of tech that I will not use . Especially for a first hearing aid. I just want one that will help me hear , help with my tinnitus and fit behind my ears ! My ears are small and I already wear glasses , so I’m not sure how this will work . So far it’s been stressful experience. I will call Costco tomorrow fortunately I have one close by . Thanks again

I totally relate–I found it a stressful experience, too.

I have small ears and wear glasses and it is definitely doable. You can research all the Costco options on reviews here and by doing a search in forum posts. Very sincerely they are a great option for many people.

They, being Costco, do not actively support tinnitus treatment. Both my husband and I have it and what I have learned is that HAs can help without any special programming needed, AND that many of the tinnitus programs are simply sound generators that help “calm” it by distracting your brain from what is happening. Needless to say, mileage varies a LOT in this regard, but many would argue that simply employing hearing aids is a step in the right direction as far as tinnitus is concerned and that the special programs are not a big value add.

Another great thing re Costco–I think you have up to six months (!!) to decide if the aids work for you. You can return them for a full refund. If you discover that you do want tweaking of some feature or another, their techs are really helpful and capable people in our experience. So I think this could be a win win for you–a professionally fitted pair of aids at far below the price point you are currently being quoted that will probably make a positive impact on your life–but if not, you can give them back and get your money refunded.

1 Like

I would also recommend going to Costco . It’s worth the membership if you don’t have one because you’re getting good quality aids for a great price and you have a full 180 days to return them if you decide you don’t like them.

Only downside is if your Costco is busy then the first hearing test may take a while.

Good luck

1 Like

Thanks for replying! I have a membership but my Costco is very busy ! I’m heading their today hopefully to speak with someone . Thks

I’m used to my tinnitus. My brain only acknowledges my tinnitus at night and morning. So I don’t think the masker will make much of a difference. I did the test in the office and they matched the sound with my tinnitus but only took the tinnitus away for a couple of seconds. It was wonderful ! I forgot what that felt like to have peace and quite . Audi stayed since it ce back so fast it will not go away with Ha’s . So I’m not sure why pay more for masker if my brain is already used to the tinnitus ? I’m going to Costco today to check everything out . Thanks for your advise :grin:

Hope it all works out! My husband is super happy with his Costco experience and he has to drive several hours round trip.

1 Like