Firmware upgrade for Siemens/Rexton Tek?

When my Tek device comes on its says RCU V1.1. Does anyone’s device say anything different? I’d like to keep up with the latest firmware 'cause it’s still a bit buggy and new features would be a bonus. (Like being able to turn off or on the mics in the BT or Transmitter mode myself rather than have it as an audi software setting only). Thx.

Hi,

RCU V1.1 with me too - less than a month old.

I was seeking info of any updated firmware, as I find some buggy behaviour especially when connected to my cell phone - and if I then operate phone functions.

Rgds,

I agree, not up to the highest commercial SW std for other audio devices, though I’ve experienced worse. I have had to remove/replace the battery a couple of times to give it a re-boot. So far it has all come back.

Same here… I’ve found that even texting SMS often “damage” the link in such a way that it does not work properly if I receive a call… :confused: I use Nokia E51, which in other BT connections are rock steady.

I can play music on the phone through BT, but that takes down call operation “properly” = remove/replace batt. again…

One should think that Siemens could handle BT devices <-> cellphone, but this is weak…

The CIC Pure(Motion) 700 aids has good performance, for me, with special good response to music.

But… I’ve decided to try Oticon Agil CIC now and their streaming/BT equipment.

A RCU V1.2 for Tek Connect could improve Siemens’ chances… but it seems like it’s not in their attention that V1.1 is unstable… Or, have anyone “heard” any news ?

Regards,

My audiologist hasn’t heard of any firmware updates for the TEK unit. So, it looks like we’ll have to wait for it.

I’m also clued on this question.

Mine says RCU v2.2 (lucky me) and works fine for telephony (with siemens gigaset bluetooth SL785 cordless landline, htc desire mobile, dell laptop with linux phone software). I love it - its made a huge difference for me.

I’d love to hear if you can get an upgrade and if it fixes your telephony issues.

I still have some reliability issues with listening to music over bluetooth and that’s what the remainder of this post is about.

The Tek supports two bluetooth profiles:

1. mono voice quality duplex (sound going in both directions) for telephony; and
  2. stereo high quality playback only for music and multimedia;
and although 1) works fine I do have reliability issues with 2).

I still very much enjoy listening to music using the 2nd profile with my mobile phone or computer, but:

• sometimes music comes through only sporadically
  • sometimes not at all
  • sometimes when its not coming through at all none of the buttons work (device appears to have completely hung)
I can always get it working again by:
  • disconnecting and reconnecting bluetooth; or
  • using the red button to turn off then back on the Tek, then reconnecting bluetooth; or if all else fails
  • if its completely hung then the only fix is to remove the battery, replace it, then reconnect bluetooth
I posted this to Siemens, but they did not reply. This is a little frustrating and I'd love a firmware upgrade to fix it, but overall I'm very happy with the Tek.

Cheers,
Neil.

Hi Neil,

unfortunately older Tek’s can not be upgradet with v2.2 - it’s only installed on new devices.

So, I’ll guess one should be looking for a replacement :wink:

Does the Tek look similar to whoat it used to ?

Regards,

Hi kospaang,
yes the Tek has the same physical packaging with the new firmware.

I got a good reply back from Siemens indicating that they do not offer firmware upgrades (as you said) and that 2.2 is the current version.
Cheers,
Neil

From Siemens:

Unfortunately the firmware for the Tek is not able to be upgraded externally but the version you have is the most current.

The problems you are seeing are not easily diagnosed. I would suggest that you return to your clinic and ask them if they could check the programming and if everything is correct you could ask them to call Siemens to clarify if this remote needs to be sent back for repair.

Hi Neil,

According to ‘sources’ your Tek should be equal in ‘spec’ as the previous ones. The components however should be of another brand. Hence the lack of backwards firmware compatibility.

I guess this means the device,still, can only be paired with one BT-device at the same time ?

This is a weak excuse, I think… For a problem that seems so easy reproducible - and has nothing to do with user programming. They know very well the flaws… The v2.2 ‘fix-list’ has addressed several other known flaws. Actually it’s a bit surprising that Siemens has so little BT knowledge inhouse as it might appear. I also tested Oticon Agil before going for SIEMENS, and their streamer could pair with several BT-devices at the same time - and stream music very nice with less(no) problems. BUT the Agil CIC(or was it MIC) was not up to match the Pure 700 (aka Motion 700) in sound quality…far away…

I will try to have my streamer ‘replaced’ with a v2.2 as soon as they are available in my country (Norway)… May I ask what country you live in ?

Regards,

I just received a new one and the version is RCU V2.2. I have no idea what the difference between the versions is. I can’t turn the mics off however. I would think for that capability there would also have to be a software change for the aids as well.

Interesting.

Yes

Yes that is lame but typical.

Good luck with it. I’m in Australia, but I bought in the US on ebay at little more than 1/3 of the local price. I’m getting the ConnexxLink programming device to tweak them myself too. Local audiologists refuse to provide service for aids bought cheap elsewhere, so I’m trying to be independent of them. Cheers,
Neil.

Thank you Neil !

Cheers,

I got my Siemens Motion 501 CICs a month ago, and I also saw that the Tek was available online in the USA for $395 versus the Australian $800 I paid :frowning:
Mine is version 2.2 as well. These are my first HA’s, and I can’t imagine having HA’s without the bluetooth; like its only half the deal. I too really like the ability to watch the TV with the stereo sound, and to be able to clearly hear my mobile phone in a noisy shopping mall/food hall is amazing. The big tip for the latter is opting to have the microphones set to the OFF position so that when music/TV/mobile phone is being used, there is no external sound coming in to confuse the situation. I originally had them on, and the quality was no where near as good, primarily echo caused by the inherent lag that the bluetooth signal can have. If the TV is at normal levels, then echo can be barely noticable provided the external microphones are off.

The problems one of you reported about the streaming dropping out has happened to me, and yes, I have had to reboot the Tek by whipping the back off and tilting the battery a bit to break the connection. It seems to me that it is position, position, position, and if the Tek is not sitting pretty much in the optimal position mid-chest, then it can lose its way and hang.
One of the reasons I went for Siemens was reading one of their technical white papers from their professional website on the way they had to modify the standard bluetooth signal to get the best performance. I looked for the same info from other manufacturers, and they either had nothing, or just stated that bluetooth was used and no commentary about whether there were any inherent bluetooth problems they overcame. It was clear that Siemens spent a lot of effort tinkering with the bluetooth signal to get it as good as possible. It is not a vanilla bluetooth that it is using.
Lastly, it would be nice if I could just pay an audiologist an hourly rate like my doctor/dentist/lawyer/plumber etc and let me get my HA’s from whereve I like. I would still be several thousand dollars better off and they will have been paid for their services liek anyone else. Much too cosy an industry I think…
cheers
John

Hi Neil
Did you get the connexxlink? If so, how much and where from?
Did it work okay. I’m interested too, as my Siemens Motion 501 CIC have a pile of features that a short visit to the audiologist is just too short to assess, and to long and too far between visits to have to go to get them tweaked. Features are not rocket science, and I’d like the flexibility to adjust at my leisure.
What part of Oz are you in? SA?(he says hopefully!)
regards
John

I am fairly new to this. I am in my mid 50’s and have my first pair of HAs. They are Rexton Cobalts. I also have the Blu RCU. My audi said that these were the same as Seimens products just considerably less expensive.

I have many of the same experiences that have been expressed in this thread. I absolutely love the Bluetooth applications but I agree that there are bugs.

When I pair my phone, a Blackberry Pearl, all works well most of the time. the phone conversations are clear on my end but often people on the other end will complain that they can not hear me very well and I find myself holding the RCU up like a mic. It is also not unusual for the bluetooth connection with the phone to terminate when I terminate the call with the button on the RCU. I then have to go to my phone and reestablishe the connection. Other times I find that the bluetooth connection has failed when nothing is going on. I find out when my phone rings and I don’t hear it in my HAs and I have to pull my phone out of my pocket.

What is surprising to me is how much the location of the RCU impacts whether or not you hear the call in both ears. Just an inch or two to one side or the other will cause one of the HAs to loose the signal. I think this is rather ridiculous.

On the other hand however, I have found that when I am using the Bluetooth transmitter for my television, I can actually walk out of the room and still hear the tv quite clearly. I think it is weird that the transmitter can communicate to the RCU from another room but the HAs can loose the RCU just my moving it an inch or two ON YOUR CHEST.

Also I too have experienced issues that require removing the battery to re-boot.

I feel it to be a major shortcomming for a device that costs twice that of many smart cellphones and can not have the firmware updated. I also wish they made them so that they were rechargable from a standard cell phone charger and they need to make a car charger. The battery voltage is the same and the plug is the same one that my Blackberry uses but it will not charge from it.

I forgot, mine also boots up with V1.1

The aerial in a hearing aid is very small, so the only way to increase the distance the Siemens Tek can be from them is to boost its output power. The trade off is battery consumption.
Note that when you use the Tek to ‘read’ your HA’s current settings you have to have the Tek within 4" of your ears. The HA’s are very weak transmitters, hence the 4" distance requirement, but reasonable receivers, provided the signal they are receiving is strong enough.

Given the size of the Seimens Tek, a bit of clever design could have allowed for a larger battery to be put in and therefore stronger output signal, reducing the need to have it in the middle of your chest.

As for the TV transmitter to the Tek, no such restrictions apply, and the TV bluetooth transmitter can blast away using mains power, allowing the Tek to receive anywhere within 10 metres. The restriction is all in the Tek and its battery longevity. It also is a much better receiver than it is a transmitter.
HTH
John

First an update on my RCU. I had a failure and Rexton replaced my RCU under warranty. I got a completly new RCU with all the associated accessories. Now it boots up with 2.2 firmware.

Now, I completely understand what you are saying however the battery size thing just doesn’t work for me. The battery is no smaller than that of any cell phone I have and the cell phone has the power to communicate with with the cell tower. In fact, the battery in my RCU is almost identical to the battery in my Blackberry Pearl, same voltage. I understand that the HAs have limited ability to transmit but the RCU should be able to blast all the power necessary to get to the HAs. All the HAs have to do is receive which doesn’t take the power required to transmit.

To have such limited power that just moving inches left to right causing loss of reception in one HA or the other is just a bit rediculous.