Finally someone noticed my hearing aids :)

I’ve been wearing Resound hearing aids for two and a half years, and until a couple of days ago, not a single person had ever mentioned them. But the other day, I was having drinks with a couple of friends, and mid conversation one said “how long have you had hearing aids - I’ve never noticed them” and the other person chimed in that he didn’t know I wore them, either. I thought it was funny, since when I first got them I was really self conscious, as it turns out, for no reason.

So for any newbies who are worried about what people will think, I’d say it really isn’t a factor…

10 Likes

Hahahaha; What style hearing aids? Ric’s/RITE’s yes? Many want ITE’s/CIC’s because they are self conscious about wearing Ric’s/RITE’s.

Members of the public at work never notice my aids and I always have bright ear moulds.

Altho one person did notice a while back when I had blue moulds and she asked why I had blue tac in my ears.

She wears smoky domes on her Ric’s/RITE’s. Because they are dark inside her naturally dark ear canals sometimes I can’t see that she is wearing hearing aids.

RIC. I think the wire was sticking out a bit and caught the sun - we were sitting outside.

RIC, I knew it!! Thanks for posting that.

Last night I was staring intently at her ear and I could not see the hearing aid and I could not distinguish between her salt-n-pepper hair color versus the receiver wire. I was tempted to go get my readers to find the invisible hearing aid.

1 Like

I was like that too when I first got them and people did not notice until I told some of them. One woman at work once asked if I had cochlear implants?!?!

My hair is a dark brown (with some gray) and the hearing aids match the hair colour really well. They are more noticeable I think when I have a hair cut but I’m definitely not self-conscious about them at all.

2 Likes

Thanks for making me smile. No-one ever seems to notice my BTE’s and though my moulds are clear plastic they are shiny, so I always think people may have noticed but just don’t say anything.

1 Like

I have had bright RED BTE Resound aids for 3 years and I wear my hair very short so they ARE visible if you are looking at me from behind the ear. Furthermore, I am over 70 and live in a Sun City Community where probably 1/2 or more of the folks wear hearing aids.
But I have to make a point to tell people that I wear hearing aids so they need to face me when talking to me!!
My husband wore BTE hearing aids starting in the 1970’s when he was only in his 30’s and NO ONE ever seemed to notice.
I canNOT figure out why people are so sensitive about wearing hearing aids. NO ONE NOTICES!!!

3 Likes

Preachin’ to the choir as the saying goes. Everybody has a certain level of vanity about their appearance. Then we feel the need to plunk down a pile o’ cash on these darn things and discover after the fact that, no indeed, no one notices. It’s almost like we would LIKE them to be noticed just to acknowledge the fact that we spent so much money on them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

True but non hearing aid people rarely know how much money hearing aids cost. Most people are floored the first time they learn about cost of aids.
Like you I want people to know I am hard of hearing. Face me and talk to me normally.

It is really interesting…
I had IIC’s for about 4 years and am trialing some RIC’s now, I’ve had them about 2 weeks. People DEFINITELY notice in my opinion. In fact, I’ve had 3 people in the last 24 hours who know me and know I normally have IIC’s commented that they didn’t initially (but eventually noticed) the RIC’s I had on.
Additionally just TODAY at work (I work in IT and deal with co-workers all day) I had 2 people whom don’t know me or haven’t dealt with me before whom very obviously saw/noticed the HA’s.
I’m relatively “young” for HA’s and I could see it on both their faces today. It didn’t bother me but, yes, I am a little self-conscience about them “aging me” I suppose.
For what it’s worth, I think the pair I’m trialing could use ever so slightly longer tubes, they ride pretty high behind my ears.
Just to clarify, I’m not disputing the initial post here…when people say “they hardly notice” or “can’t see them at all” or “they forget you have them on” it’s all true and you shouldn’t fell uncomfortable about them like I do occassionally.
My 0.2
Mark

1 Like

Her (difficult to notice) RIC’s;

3 Likes

Most people don’t notice as they’re more worried about themselves. I think it’s becoming less of an issue that people are wearing hearing aids.