Experiences with Laptop Headsets and Hearing Aids?

Does anyone have any experience with using hearing aids with headsets (for video calls through Zoom, Teams, whatever), specifically RIC/BTE styles?

I’ve worn custom (in the ear) styles for many years and so have never thought about this, just pop the headset on (or any headphones for that matter), and good to go. But with my next hearing aids I’m considering a RIC style which I know could be tricky.

I’m aware of the Bluetooth option (and even tried the “hands free” option with two Phonak Paradise RICs which worked well) but battery life will be an issue with the many meetings I have to participate in at the office (and even more so now that I work more from home). :frowning:

1 Like

Work gave me a sennheiser gamer headset before I got tested. I knew I was still having trouble. After getting hearing aids, I found the direct connection on my Phonak audeo p90r HAs was broken for zoom and google meet. But I use a phone call for the audio on those meetings and it works ok. The sennheisers are ok too, but not as comfy over the HAs and computer glasses. I hope you can work something out!

WH

1 Like

So it IS possible to wear headphones on top (over) RIC or BTE hearing aids? I’ve never done it.

I tried Phonak Paradise RICs for a few days and had no issues using them as a headset (my colleagues said my voice sounded like I was on a speakerphone but otherwise fine) but being in meetings for a few hours during the day meant that by 9pm they were ready for a charging. Not an option then for me…

I wear headphones over my aids.
I have closed domes with the feed back manager off.
No real problems.

1 Like

The only thing to look out for (if you are not able to try. things in person) is the size of the headphone opening so that it is large enough to go over your ears and the HAs. You can search topic on forum as I had done. I believe that the two typically recommended headphones were Bose and Sennheiser, but different models vary in the opening. This becomes even more imp. if you also have eye glasses.

The only other “issue” is adequate distance from headphone speaaker to HA mic to avoid feedback - seems that most modern headphones are ok on this front.

I have Sony.
Bought them on Woot.
They are refurbished.
I have had them for awhile.
I really did not buy them to use over my aids.
I just tried it one day and it worked.
Got lucky I guess.

2 Likes

I have KS10’s that work well w/Zoom via Bluetooth. Sometimes closed captions is very useful although some words get mangled. You need to enable captions under Zoom Settings. Sometimes I need to “Request Captions” via a menu option near bottom right of Zoom screen and/or enable my Zoom session to show the captions if the meeting host has already enabled them.

2 Likes

I use a telecoil neckloop plugged into my laptop for Zoom and Teams calls.

2 Likes

I regularly use a wireless Plantronics Voyager Focus for all my Zoom calls. These are worn over the KS10s and work great.
I am full-time WfH (even before covid) so I have a lot of Zoom calls all the time which is why they also have to be comfortable.
They are kinda pricey though…

1 Like

I have Logitech over the head closed headphones with microphone for Zoom calls.
I usually take off my HAs (RIC) for Zoom calls and put on the headphones. My Zoom calls are normally for meetings that last from 30 minutes to 1 hours so the length of time means I find it more practicable to take off my HAs.
I have adjusted the computer equalisation and volume to help compensate for my hearing loss (mild to moderate)

1 Like

Great responses, thanks all! I actually didn’t think about taking off my HAs for calls (I could probably do that as my hearing loss isn’t that severe, but it’s not as balanced between left and right ear so it would sound a bit one sided)…

I like the idea of a neck loop, so might look into that if my next pair of aids have a telecoil (it seems few do these days).

I guess if you’re wearing RICs or BTEs with headphones it MIGHT be possible to get the positioning right so the headphones and HA microphones are aligned, but it’s definitely not as convenient as wearing ITE aids…

I wear KS8 RIC aids. At home I use Bose QC35 II headphones. I can use them with and without my aids with no problems for watching YouTube videos, listening to music, and Teams calls (Microsoft’s equivalent of Zoom). Since they work well without the KS8s, I usually go that way. I have been wearing them more the last few weeks as my company has announced a back to work transition that is effective on January 4.

1 Like

I’ve actually started to use Direct Input Leads for Zoom or Teams calls. Much better sound then my telecoil neckloop.

Just a note, I have Phonak V70 Aids so still have Direct Input option, I believe most newer Aids don’t have this option anymore.

I’ll put my experience here with RIC and headphones, specially while working from home:

• Large headsets that covers your ears and HA: Feedback issues (at least with my older Phonak V90)
  • Small headsets that just press against the ear but leaves the HA uncovered: The best solution for me in terms of conference speech clarity, although you’re not processing the sound from your HA, so your hearing loss is not being corrected. I guess this is heavily depended on your degree of hearing impairment. I just crank up the volume on the headsets and that’s it. Ears might hurt a bit after long conference calls.
  • HA audio streaming: I tried that a couple of times, but I found speech harder to understand. Probably due to the use of open domes and lack of low frequency amplification. Not for me.
1 Like

which neck loop are you using?
I tried that and found that I had to hang the loop over by ears so the wire was basically touching the aids…and I’d still get static.
I have another neck loop that is amplified (an FM receiver system from Listen) and it works well hanging around my neck.

I use some Audio techica headphones regularly plugged into my laptop. Works well most of the time, but occasionally…not real often… I will randomly get feedback just all of the sudden without reason it seems. Usually just adjusting the headphones a bit will stop it.
It’s only on my left aid and I think it has a lot to do with how they are programmed…but that’s just a guess.

1 Like

I use an amplified neckloop as well which I thought was loud but it isn’t, it’s still quite quiet compared to my direct input leads.

https://www.deafequipment.co.uk/product/10126969/95CLILOOP2/Geemarc-CL-iLoop--with-microphone---4-pole-3-5mm-plug

I’ve got my hearing aid mics turned off to give me better sound, also helps with feedback.

1 Like

KS9 and Jabra Evolve 75 (open ear with mic boom) have been working fairly well for video meetings and phone calls for me, for the past 2 years (KS6 before that… I think) I still use Chrome auto captions and Zoom/Teams auto-generated captions whenever possible.

(I do less than 2 hours of meetings / calls a week though.)

1 Like

I love the Jabra Evolve 75. Everyone in my office got them.

1 Like

I got a couple of Oticon RICs to try out from today and using them with a conventional headset is fine, though it takes some fiddling to get the headphones and HA microphones to line up nicely and it’s not as comfortable as my previous custom aids, but at least now I know it’s possible. :slight_smile: