Experience with Philips 9040 (Costco) and Bluetooth Streaming?

I read that Philips is supposed to have pretty good bluetooth streaming (music, podcasts etc) and would love to hear experience from users of this HA.

Tried the Jabra at Costco and hated the streaming (and some connection issues etc) though the rest wasn’t too bad.

I live alone and listen to some kind of sound (music, news, podcasts, audiobooks) pretty much all day long so streaming is really important.

Trying to avoid the costs of the Audio Lumity and hope the much less expensive Philips might work.

A recent article put them as equal to Phonak for streaming so I would love to hear other users experiences.

Thanks for any thoughts !

Came across this.

1 Like

I also went from KS9 to Philips 9040 and initially had problems with Bluetooth streaming. But now everything is working well.

I did uninstall and reinstall the app.

I’ve been using the Philips 9040 for a week and a half now with my Google Pixel 6a.

I find the streaming to be acceptable, but I’m no audiophile. Unfortunately, the road traffic noise overpowers the volume of the hearing aid when I’m on my daily walk.

I can tell that the sound from the hearing aids with using headphones is not as good as without the hearing aids and using headphones. So I would expect streaming not to be any better. But I would say the sound is acceptable. Note I don’t have a music program yet, so that may completely change things.

The only issue I’ve had was pairing the phone to the hearing aids initially. However, one paired they seemed have remained paired. Hopefully they stay that way.

I have the Philips Hi-Fi music program. It does what I need it to do by allowing me to hear real live music without streaming. As I understand it, the general program is biased for hearing voices so it compresses sounds in the voice sound range. The music program decompresses sound so more music sounds can be heard, making music more enjoyable. I don’t get why so many people want to stream. It appears to block out everything else. I have to shout to get my pool cleaner’s attention because he is streaming telephone calls. Many walkers and bike riders appear to stream so they can’t hear nature or traffic. I want my hearing aids help me hear normally, not as if I am wearing headphones. I can’t say I understand why people stream. They should get Apple ear pieces (pods?) and not bother with natural sounds, but maybe I’m just old and set in ways.

Actually, I find traffic overpowers the volume of streaming. So I’ve altered my walking route a bit to eliminate some of the traffic noise.

Anyhow, I find it enjoyable not to have to wear headphones. Plus if one is wearing noise canceling headphones, doesn’t this make things worse as far as hearing traffic?

Phones calls go through my hearing aids, so not everything is blocked out.

If it’s not for you, then it’s not for you, and that’s fine too.

I’m glad streaming works for you and your HAs allow that, but I wonder if you use streaming as primary help for your hearing loss. Instead of using only your HAs, you seem to use streaming for TV, music and tel calls, like many do. I personally need to hear others in my environment when I do those things. I hope your HAs are programmed so you can hear what you need without streaming. My Philips are my first HAs and I was assured that they were all I needed to hear normally. That is what I want.

I do not use streaming to help with my hearing loss. This is the first pair of hearing aids that had that capability.

A TV streamer is not that important to me since I generally watch foreign TV programs with closed caption. However, I certainly understand why folks use TV streamers.

I don’t do a lot of phone calls, and so that’s not that important to me either.

I’m mostly listening to podcasts through my new hearing aids, and find it enjoyable when out on my walks.

1 Like

You might want to look up the last post by Um-bongo which advises to not use hearlink 2 but connect directly. It sure worked for me. Good luck.