Employer Mandated Audiometric Testing

My job is mandating annual hearing tests in order to monitor potential degradation due to the work environment. I have moderate hearing loss but do NOT wish to reveal that. It doesn’t affect my job at all and I’m very private about it.
Can I refuse the test? If not, can I at least request my results not be made available to my employer? I feel like this is a breach of medical privacy.

If you’re in the US then maybe not.

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/publications/osha3074.pdf

Edit: More careful reading shows that employers are mandated to monitor noise exposure, but are only mandated to offer audiometric testing to exposed employees.

1 Like

I’m in the US. California to be more specific. I know OSHA doesn’t mandate tests, but allows employers to at their discretion. Has anyone else had to deal with this? I just want my privacy

Interesting, my last job interview, I volunteered my hearing loss up front. Not only did i get the job, but wad asked what to company could do or provide that would make my work life better. So i don’t understand hiding a fact that you believe no one notices, zi guarantee people notice the fact we have hearing loss, and in my case others noticed it before I did.

2 Likes

Hmmm. You could look online to see if CA has any privacy policies like the HIPAA form?

Geez rroc, I feel for you! When I shared my hearing disability with my BOSS, she made it her business to tell EVERYONE - clients, co-workers, etc. Back then, with FAR better hearing and my first pair of aids I felt “revealed”!

I can definitely see both sides here. On the one hand, folks should probably know if I may not be hearing them - and I’m not blowing them off. On the other hand, I never got permission to make that public knowledge.

I have to guffaw at the irony of your situation. But what’s the worst that could happen? Get the test, share the results, see if your company can help make your work environment optimal for YOU (mics, connectivity devices, etc.,), and try to forgive yourself and ACCEPT the reality!

Yes, it’s easier to do so as one gets older, but with aids as good as they are nowadays, folks could end up AMAZED at how much YOU hear - you betcha! Will be curious to know your decision and outcome…

OSHA cannot mandate that you take a test AFAIK. CA, however, has their own program–a number of states do–and while it must at least meet OSHA minimums in terms of occupational safety, it might exceed them and could have different requirements. On the other hand, if your job requires a certain threshold of hearing in order to perform safely and/oreffectively, that could be another story. But even then, employers have to offer reasonable accommodations. Nonetheless, you need to talk to someone with actual expertise in occupational safety laws, and most particularly in CA. I would want to know if the reports identify individual employees, which I suspect they do, and what information is shared and with whom, and how is that information safeguarded going forward. With all the HIPAA laws and concerns about individual privacy over medical information I don’t think these are unreasonable questions.

Are you afraid you will lose your job if they find out you have a hearing loss?

The company is probably doing it for safety reasons or so you can’t sue them sometime later saying working there caused it.

I know some states hearing protection is required after a certain amount of decibels.

1 Like

FWIIW, when I went to work in 1966 the company tested my hearing as part of my physical. Unknowing to me at that time, I had a minor hearing disorder. The company tested my hearing for several years and recorded my hearing loss and work environment. It was never explained to me but I don’t think it takes genius to figure out the company was doing a CTA and for good reason. BTW, it was in the USA. As an aside, I don’t think in this day and time in this country anyone has privacy. It is just an illusion, no drugs required.

You can be as private as you wish, but some people with whom you work undoubtedly know already, and probably make some extra effort to speak clearly to you.

I share your feeling that your health information is nobody’s business but yours, but see their point in wanting to have some data showing that your loss may not be due to their carelessness or work environment. It is a puzzle but as BeachBum said, there is no privacy, it is an illusion.

Please post a followup on how you choose to proceed, and how it works out.

Pretty sure they can require a hearing test, just like they can require a drug test. But its for worker comp insurance and liability reasons. In cali employees are well protected from any discrimination. I don’t think they’re looking for hearing loss in general. They’re looking for hearing loss over short periods of time like a year or two. And if they find people that have hearing loss in such a short time period they will require that they wear hearing protection at all times while at work.

My guess is they can require it. It is similar to drug testing, or testing for required physical performance for some jobs, or pre-employment physicals (which can be pretty extensive).

If it’s related to conditions of certain jobs, and applies to all employees or all employees in certain job titles, they probably have a legitimate reason.

I’m pretty sure they don’t care about your moderate hearing loss unless it is job related.

1 Like